Idris Jala sworn in as senator

KUALA LUMPUR, Sept 1 – Datuk Seri Idris Jala was today sworn in as a senator, paving the way for his appointment as a minister without portfolio in the Prime Minister’s Department.

Idris, 51, who has also been appointed Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of the newly-established Performance Management and Delivery Unit (Pemandu), took the oath before Senate President Datuk Wong Foon Meng at the Dewan Negara here.

Idris’ appointment was announced by Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak last week.

Describing his appointment as a call to national service, the former Malaysia Airlines CEO said he was determined to perform his duties diligently.

“I am very pleased to be here and I shall discharge my duties diligently for the people,” he told reporters after the ceremony.

He explained that as the CEO of Pemandu, he would be reporting to Minister in the Prime Minister’s Department Tan Sri Dr Koh Tsu Koon and there would be no duplication of roles between them.

He added that his priority in Pemandu was to find out in detail the progress in the implementation of the Key Performance Indicators (KPI) so far and to chart out more initiatives to move it forward in achieving its national objectives.

On his ministerial post, Idris said he had yet to receive any directive from the prime minister.

“The responsibility will be assigned to me from time to time by the prime minister,” he said.

On his successor in Malaysia Airlines, Tengku Datuk Azmil Zahruddin, Idris said Azmil had his full confidence to steer the national carrier to greater success.

Dr Koh, who is in charge of KPI and national unity, said Idris’ appointment was a continuation and extension of his involvement in the setting up of the KPI initiatives since April. He added that Idris had a good track record and experience during his tenure in Malaysia Airlines and Shell.

“His appointment will help intensify what we have been doing so far in supporting the prime minister’s efforts to transform the government,” he said.

Also sworn in this morning was Malacca MCA deputy secretary Lee Cheam Choon. Lee, 55, is taking over the senatorship held by Soon Tian Szu, whose term ended early this year. – Bernama TheMalaysiaInsider....