Thread: UMNO AGM: One hour to pass 41 amendments

UMNO AGM: One hour to pass 41 amendments

20 men 1 vote. That's the best UMNO can do. They don't have 3 million members to start off with. So they try to hide the fact by allowing 146,500 members to vote. That's less than the number that PKR has vote in their party elections.

History has shown that no corrupt party in power ever reform meaningfully. They can only do it when they are kicked out of power. Then and only then is the pain deep enough to force them to reform.

That's why we need 1Malaysia without UMNO!

EGM: One hour to pass 41 amendments

Oct 15, 09 1:32pm

A total of 41 amendments to the Umno party constitutions meant to address internal vote-buying problems were passed at its extraordinary general meeting (EGM) today.

The process took a mere one hour which through a show of hands. The EGM kicked off after the annual general assembly presidential address by Najib Abdul Razak.

The 41 amendments were part of seven motions tabled by the Umno Constitutional Amendments Committee chairperson Hishammuddin Hussein and seconded by Johor Bharu division chief Shahrir Samad.

A handful of delegates stood up to debate the motions but their grouses were addressed by Hishammuddin and were passed without further amendments.

The amendments are part of seven motions. They are:

* The number of delegates who elect the top party officials to increase from the 2,510 delegates to 146,500.

* The introduction of a registration system to replace the nomination quota system. (Those wanting to contest top party post will have to be committee members at the divisional level for at least one term).

* The appointment of Wanita Umno representatives to take up seats on committees at the branch, divisional and supreme council levels. (This proposed amendment raises the number of appointed members, from 12 to 13 on the supreme council, from seven to eight on the divisional committees, and from five to six on the branch committees.)

* The elections at the divisional and top levels will be held simultaneously, and as such an Umno elections committee would be set up to supervise the elections in terms of logistics and cost. (Members of this committee will be appointed by the party president.)

* The abolition of the annual membership fee and its replacement with a life membership fee.

* Giving the mandate to the Umno Youth, Wanita Umno and Puteri Umno chiefs at the branch level to verify new membership.

* Recognising divisional secretaries automatically as delegates to the Umno general assembly. Malaysiakini. Subscription required.
    py

Re: UMNO AGM: One hour to pass 41 amendments - Umno reforms “not good enough”

Umno reforms “not good enough”

Posted by admin
    Wednesday, 14 October 2009 18:59

By Koh Lay Chin, The Nut Graph

TAN Sri Megat Najmuddin Megat Khas isn't just a member of Umno's disciplinary board. He is also Malaysian Institute for Corporate Governance (MICG) president, and former Transparency International (Malaysia) executive council member.

Megat Najmuddin has been outspoken about corruption, even describing political corruption as "the mother of all corruptions". He is also a firm proponent of corporate governance. He speaks exclusively to The Nut Graph on 9 Oct 2009 about Umno's proposed constitutional amendments — which will be debated on Thursday, 15 Oct 2009 — and whether he believes they will lead to meaningful reforms.

TNG: You are aware of the constitutional amendments being proposed. What do you think of them so far? Will they bring about the reform you want?

Megat Najmuddin: To be honest, I am not that enamoured of the amendments to the constitution as I do not think that it is big or deep enough. Until and unless our total political makeup changes, I think nothing is going to change.

You don't think widening the pool of voters to pick the leaders of the party is going to change things?

Well, I think that is good, but that is not my bone of contention. Widening the pool of voters is good, but the system and culture of self-interest and money politics have to change. There is this culture of focusing on material gains, and the question of "Apa yang ku dapat?" is being asked all the time.

I think that being in the party should be about sacrifice and perjuangan, and this is what we have lost sight of. It has been replaced by self-interest.

What is our ideology now? We have not spelt it out. What is our struggle? The whole old fight for Malay rights and interests, that is kaput. What is our new tagline now, and what is our thinking and our sense of purpose?

Currently, we have people who are in the party who view their positions in it as a means to achieve material success or power. But our forefathers started the party based on notions of sacrifice.

That's interesting, that you are talking about Umno having no ideology. But if not [the struggle] for Malay rights, then what now?

It is time to fight for everybody, and that includes the non-Malay [Malaysians]. That mindset has not gone in yet, not even after [the general election of] 2008. On the ground we still have people spouting semi-racist or racist comments, and this is worrying to me. I think we should open up the party to the non-Malay [Malaysians].
    And I think there should be an emphasis on quality rather than quantity when it comes to membership. We cannot have those who are clearly unsuitable becoming members in our ranks. Malaysiatoday....
    py

Re: UMNO AGM: Barisan promises must become a reality

UMNO will reform even more when they find themselves close to losing power. So the best way to get UMNO to reform is to let them lose more seats in Parliament.

Barisan promises must become a reality

OCT 16 — Khairy Jamaluddin’s maiden policy speech as Umno Youth leader is making waves, and rightly so. For the first time in living memory, the Umno Youth AGM is not a cacophony of racist, keris-waving rhetoric. We should commend Khairy and the Umno leadership for this, no doubt about that. But this remains a first step — Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak and Khairy must deliver on their grand promise to work for all Malaysians. At the moment, while they may be nearing par with Pakatan Rakyat on rhetoric, they are still far behind in terms of a comprehensive programme to make this rhetoric a reality.

I laud Barisan Nasional for being bold enough to change, and I am sincerely glad to see a tangible difference in this year’s Umno assembly. Change is difficult, as I have always said — and it is even harder to change when you are the utter manifestation of all that needs to change, as Barisan is. Even these baby steps are better than nothing.

I really have no qualms about supporting Barisan if it can deliver the agenda I want as a Malaysian. If Barisan will guarantee my democratic freedoms, if Barisan will treat me as someone who belongs here as opposed to a mere pendatang asing, if Barisan will hold accountable those who abuse, murder and steal from Malaysians, then that is a Barisan I would be proud to have as my government. And that, my friends, is why I still support Pakatan.

After all, this agenda I have just outlined is Pakatan’s, stolen directly by Najib and the Barisan leadership. TheMalaysiaInsider....
    py

Re: UMNO AGM: Ku Li says Umno reforms not good enough

My understanding from what Razaleigh is saying is that the UMNO leaders select the candidates to stand for party elections, while 146,500 members elect them. Sounds like the Communist Party of China. You can vote anyone you like as long as he's a communist.

Ku Li says Umno reforms not good enough

Posted by admin
    Friday, 16 October 2009 15:43

By Neville Spykerman, The Malaysian Insider

While welcoming the constitutional changes in Umno, Tengku Razaleigh Hamzah said the amendments approved this week did not go far enough to check the influence of warlords and the prevalence of vote-buying.

He said the amendment to allow more delegates to vote for office bearers was not enough to check abuses such as vote-buying.

The Gua Musang MP pointed out that he had proposed three years ago that all Umno members be allowed to elect the party president, his deputy, the vice-presidents and supreme council members.

"All members should be allowed to vote not just the delegates, to check the influence of warlords and money politics," he said.

He pointed out that there was no quorum for the annual meetings in many branches because this was not an election year and no money was being handed out.

"The party needs to correct this attitude because the members are motivated by ‘lollies’ and money," he said.

He said Umno must also change the way it selects candidates for elections and should consider emulating the system in the United States where primaries are held.

The system allows members in a particular constituency to select leaders who they know will serve the people, he said.

"Umno should stop the nonsense, where the leadership selects candidates because it did not work during the March general election last year." Malaysiatoday....
    py

Re: UMNO AGM: UMNO REFORM

Is UMNO really reforming out of a change of heart or a fear of losing power? If the latter, then the surest way for permanent reform of UMNO is to sack them during the next elections. Then they will truly reform.

I like the writer's logic. He thinks all this while UMNO has been stealing from the Malays only.....

"But a thief is sorry because he is caught. Not because he steals. So let us not forget this truism in the aftermath of the UMNO General Assembly, which trumpets the return of a relevant UMNO. An UMNO for ALL. Let that not now mean an UMNO that will not only take from the Malays but also from ALL – for there is no more to take from the Malays

http://steadyaku-steadyaku-husseinha...-assembly.html
    py

Re: UMNO AGM 2009 # 2: Awang Selamat's comment

Wangsamaju. I wonder how Lee Wee Tak relates to Wee Choo Keong.

Saturday, October 17, 2009
    UMNO AGM 2009 # 2: Awang Selamat's comment

By Lee Wee Tak at 10:06 AM

I have developed an affection for attention forAwang Selamat at the moment. Perhaps it is down to mid-life crises. I am having a second round of teenage infatutation with someone.

Since Najib has brilliantly articulated that UMNO needs to change, has to change and must change (I wonder who and what made UMNO want to do such a thing, don't they stand for dulu, kini dan selama-lamanya on certain principles?) As a Malaysian who wants to see the country united and progressive, I certainly hope Najib and Khairy can deliver what they said.

It also strikes me that those 2 sounded a bit not unlike what Anwar Ibrahim and DAP been saying all these while. Hope the unproductive labels of "Pengkhianat Melayu" and "Parti Komunis" can be put to rest now. wangsamaju.
    py

Re: UMNO AGM: Najib's uphill battle

Shanon Shah: So, maybe Najib used the wrong analogy — insanity — to define Umno's problem. Perhaps Umno is more like an addict who understands that the drug is destructive, but keeps going back to use it. In this case, the drug is a cocktail of authoritarianism, corruption and Malay supremacy. As with any addiction, it requires a complete internal transformation to overcome the problem. And perhaps 2009 will not be the year that Umno rids itself of its aching addiction.

Addiction requires "cold turkey" and the most effective type is a stint in the opposition benches.

Najib's uphill battle
    15 Oct 09 : 11.01PM

By Shanon Shah
    shahnonshah@thenutgraph.com

HALFWAY through his policy address today, 15 Oct 2009, Umno president Datuk Seri Najib Razak defined a form of insanity. "It is when you do something repeatedly in the same way but hope for differing results," he said.

The analogy was used to justify Najib's market liberalisation measures to make Malaysia more competitive. Announced in June 2009, barely two months after he became Umno's president and Malaysia's prime minister, these measures removed some of the rules introduced under the New Economic Policy (NEP) and its subsequent replacement plans. The measures included scrapping the 30% bumiputera quota requirement for companies seeking public listing, and making redundant the Foreign Investments Committee, which was in charge of approving bumiputera shareholdings in foreign ventures in Malaysia. The Nut Graph....
    py

Re: UMNO AGM: Will Najib succeed?

Najib starts his closing speech with a lie. UMNO was deregistered in 1988. The current version is UMNO Baru, which hijacked the deregistered UMNO's assets and name. But that doesn't change the fact that UMNO Baru is only 21 years old, no matter what name it adopts.

Will Najib succeed?

16 Oct 09 : 9.20PM

By Shanon Shah
    shanonshah@thenutgraph.com

"THIS 60th Umno general assembly is among the best I have attended," party president Datuk Seri Najib Razak declared in his winding up speech today, 16 Oct 2009. "This assembly has made the most significant, radical and huge amendments to the party's constitution in the history of our struggle," he said. The Nut Graph....
    py

Re: UMNO AGM: Najib’s “Hidup UMNO, Hidup Melayu”

Why do I have this overwhelming urge to puke?

Najib's UMNO address in full.
    py

Re: UMNO AGM: Najib speaks with forked tongue

Nothing new. If anything, UMNO is always consistent.

Najib speaks with forked tongue

Posted by admin
    Sunday, 18 October 2009 18:45

By Kee Thuan Chye

Najib Razak contradicted himself in his speech last Thursday at the Umno General Assembly. He spoke of the all-embracing 1Malaysia concept on one hand and of the need to retain the New Economic Policy (NEP) on the other. The Native Americans in old cowboy movies might have said that he spoke with a forked tongue.

How can you have the NEP and at the same time say that we are all 1Malaysia? The NEP is exclusive to a particular group of people, and such exclusivity sets them apart. There is no 1Malaysia; there are 2Malaysias. Malaysiatoday....
    py

Visitors found this page by searching for:

umno agm system

agm umno

HISTORY OF VOTE BUYING OF UMNO

umno assembly speech 16 october 2009

SEO Blog