Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to select a candidate to stand for ADUN or MP

Re: How to select a candidate to stand for ADUN or MP

Quote Originally Posted by mariachin
    In the manifesto of PKR, upholding the Federal Constitution and recognising the rights of citizens regardless of race, class, gender or social background. This implies inclusiveness and equality. Hence, putting in the criteria that married persons are preferred as candidates raises concern. Selection process for candidates need to be based on merits - if a woman or man has the qualifications - is capable, intelligent and has the necessary skills, adherence to rights, integrity and democratic governance - then that person can be a potential candidate.

Therefore, to highlight that married candidates are preferred is a very bias criteria. There is also no mention of their commitment towards gender equality and human rights - this is important as this was the transformation that PKR promotes. As a party, PKR has to challenge its candidates to be open to these principles so that there will not be any sexist remarks made in parliament, during elections.
    Maria, thank you for your input. The party constitution already covers the rights of citizens regardless of race, class, gender or social background. The requirement of marriage was directed at men, rather than woman, since it was felt that a married man would be more stable compared with a single. Unfortunately, we overlooked the case of a single lady. I will ask the committee to re-look this requirement.

With respect to commitment to gender equality, PKR is probably the only (I could be wrong here) party reserving minimum 30% of the seats for woman. Personally, I feel setting a quota does not do justice to a woman's capability. In fact, I challenged the Women's Chief - why not 50%? why not 70%? The % should be determined by the quality and quantity of the female candidates that come forward, and not by an arbitrary quota. I have no problems with a high % of women as they, generally, tend to be more honest and dedicated in their work. Setting a quota will attract the wrong type of women leaders. Problems will arise if they fail the Candidate Selection Criteria but are allowed to go through merely to meet the quota. Since it was the Woman's Wing that fought for it and it is approved by the Party membership, so be it.
    py

Re: How to select a candidate - Comments 4 - 7

4. SL, 25th May 10:

Do you think we can find such persons in our midst who can meet all those criteria mentioned?

Even if they are, we would need a long time to get them in place and then would they be interested and have the courage to face all the challenges thrown at them.

I believe that we should look for very high attitudinal qualities and above average intellectual and professional capability for the ADUN category while demanding for high intellectual and professional standard for MPs. Of course, track record of having served NGOs, community service organizations, professional organizations, etc would be required.

5. JF, USA 25th May 10:

Thanks for sending this along....I'll put something together today.

6. Dr. L, 26th May 10:

I understand the good intentions but this listing is impossible to implement - seems to be putting together everything under the sun.

I suggest a more simple list which may want to include the following besides the candidates cv and actual party/political track record. Candidates must be prepared to

1. endorse equality of citizenship and non- discrimination
    2. uphold constitutional democracy and the separation of powers as a fundamental principle.
    3. refrain from involvement in business, and ensure the separation of business from self
    4. adhere to the highest standards of personal conduct, and be seen to be free from the taint of corrupt practices
    5. Have no track record of engaging in fanning communal or religious animosity.

7. AH, 26th May 10:

Perhaps the attached document will give you some insight. These are the questionnaires which the Obama administration use to select the Presidential staffs.

I think most of the questions are applicable to candidate selection.

ObamaAdministrationQuestionnaireForJobApplicants.p df
    py

Re: How to select a candidate - Comments 8

Dr. J, 26th May 10:

2.1 & 2.2 (Loyalty to Country and to people) are obvious and redundant
    2.4 Loyalty to party ideology does not mean anything unless you specify it in detail. suggest you draw up a list
    2.5 Can the candidate win? problematic- who will decide if candidate can win?

3.2 Marital status: Preferably married - being married only works in rural areas, in urban areas does not matter
    3.7 Bankruptcies: automatic disqualification, does not matter if fraud involved

4.6 PhD from top-tier international universities: why only name a few, why dont you just say from the top 50 universities as listed in times higher education supp

4.7 International Awards: does not mean anything since there are many "funny" international awards, again who decides what is "international"- suggest you change it to professional awards

5.2 Involvement with other party top leadership: again who defines what is "top"- i know many good candidates with
    no prior experience, eg hannah yeoh, tony pua- they will score zero! suggest you take out

6.1-3 Positive image, good posture, humble: all very subjective

6.4 - 6.9 (Communication: Malay, English, Mandarin, Tamil, Kadazan, Iban): how about hokkein? its important in places like JB, Penang. suggest you just stick to the main 3 languages

6.18 Public Speaking: Toastmasters CC or equal: what makes you think TMasters is the standard? I know many good
    speakers who are not members.

7.5 Able to manage personal finance: how are you going to judge? ask the wife?
    py

Re: How to select a candidate - Defections prompt PKR to mull candidate filter

Defections prompt PKR to mull candidate filter

Aidila Razak
    May 26, 10
    5:22pm

Still smarting from a string of defections, PKR is formulating a criteria list to ensure the quality of its future election candidates.

According to elections director Fuziah Salleh, a select committee will measure potential candidates against a stringent list of criteria to avoid a repeat of selection mistakes made in 2008.

“This is important because the defections have had a strong impact on PKR. In 2008, there was no criteria list used and it was all based on gut feeling,” she told Malaysiakini today.

To date, PKR has lost four parliamentarians and six state assembly persons who have all either become Independents or have joined BN component parties. Yet another MP was expelled from the party.

While PKR candidates for the recent by-elections had gone through a more rigorous process of selection, Fuziah said no formal written criteria has yet been established.

“We are trying to formulate this as soon as possible for use in the next general election. In a best-case scenario, we will be able to use it for the Sarawak polls (due next year),” she said.

“Even if it's not completely ready for the Sarawak polls, we should at least have some sort of reference.”

Fuziah added that several parties have provided input, including a group of activists within the party who have come up with a point-system to measure 12 criteria.

These include measures for loyalty, financial capability (able to contribute up to RM150,000 to contest a parliamentary seat and RM100,000 for a state seat), health ('no life-threatening diseases') and no 'skeletons in the closet including legal, moral and criminal scandals'.

By the group's criteria, potential candidates should 'preferably be married' and must also prove his or her leadership abilities by 'recruiting 8,000 members' for the party.

Those vying to be MPs must be able to recruit 1,000 people for their election team while state assembly aspirants must be able to recruit 500 people.

A potential Yang Berhormat must also display humility (by dropping the Yang Berhormat honorific), have a good posture, have had three years experience in an NGO or residents association and be tech-savvy enough to have had a Facebook and Twitter account for at least two years.

Those who have pursued postgraduate education in 'top tier international universities such as Harvard, Stanford, MIT, Oxford and Cambridge' will be awarded an extra point.

Possible 'personality tests'

While the party values the group's input, Fuziah said PKR will be homing in more specifically on a potential candidate's character and attitude rather than on their academic qualifications.

“We are looking more at the character of the person, their attitude and personality. They must be service-oriented and people-friendly.

“We want people who have some sort of qualification but more importantly they must be a good representative of the people […] people need to feel that they can trust the candidate. A good academic may not be a good service provider,” she said.

It is these subjective criteria which are proving to be a stumbling block for PKR in putting together a fair and objective list, she added.

“(Character traits) are hard to measure, but maybe we can do this through personality tests and by observing their behaviour (over a period of time).” Malaysiakini. Subscription required.
    py

Re: How to select a candidate - GIVE US NOTHING BUT YOUR BEST! Comment 9

GIVE US NOTHING BUT YOUR BEST!

26 May 10

This evening, I read Adila Razak's article in Malaysiakini about how PKR is formulating a criteria list to ensure the quality of its future election candidates for the next GE and even for the Sarawak state elections.

The report identified a a point-system to measure 12 criteria including:

measures for loyalty

financial capability (able to contribute up to RM150,000 to contest a parliamentary seat and RM100,000 for a state seat)
    health ('no life-threatening diseases')
    no 'skeletons in the closet including legal, moral and criminal scandals'.
    should 'preferably be married' and must also prove his or her leadership abilities by 'recruiting 8,000 members' for the party.
    Those vying to be MPs must be able to recruit 1,000 people for their election team while state assembly aspirants must be able to recruit 500 people.

Academic qualifications

Those who have pursued postgraduate education in top tier international universities such as Harvard, Stanford, MIT, Oxford and Cambridge' will be awarded an extra point.

Other characteristics:

Humility (by dropping the Yang Berhormat honorific)
    Have a good posture
    Have had three years experience in a NGO or residents association
    Be tech-savvy enough to have had a Facebook and Twitter account for at least two years
    Candidates may have to take 'personality tests' to assess the character of the person, their attitude and personality.
    They must be service-oriented and people-friendly.

Trustworthy

Personally, while I applaud this move, I must say that it is OVERDUE. It has taken the loss of four parliamentarians and six state assemblyman over two years before they sprung into action. To be fair, the current criteria should also be applied to existing PKR lawmakers and they should also be told that they need to make these requirements. If lacking in any area, the top leadership should step forward to mentor them.

Also, the 12-point criteria does not address the ethics of leaving their seat i.e. in a defection. I strongly believe that this has to be addressed. Perhaps they should be bound by a covenant or a legal contract (with some exceptions that are mutually agreed upon by both parties) to deter would be defectors from jumping ship.

PR component parties should also have a handbook for all lawmakers or job description of some sort and also a quarterly review which should be submitted to their superiors. Constituents should be encouraged to give feedback about their representatives and there should be get-together sessions where some form of interaction is encouraged for the leadership to assess the effectiveness of the work of their lawmakers.

If there is a higher element of accountability and commitment to excellence, I am sure we can see better quality lawmakers.

This problem has to be addressed across the board and streamlined for all Pakatan Rakyat component parties to make it standard requirements once there is ample dialogue, discussion and amendments made. Whatever it is, the rakyat want the best and deserve the best.

PKR and Pakatan Rakyat, if you want to make it to Putrajaya - give us your best and you can be sure of the best support from your supporters. You can do it and you HAVE TO!!! We are counting on you. paula khoo.
    py

Re: How to select a candidate - Comments 10

Comments below are very useful. We are selecting candidates for a Candidate Pool from which the party can tap into when the need arises as in a by-election or in a general election. During the final selection, regional factors and being local-born will come in.

jf usa, 26th May 10:

I appreciate you including me in your process to develop the most effective candidate selection process. I looked at the document you forwarded to me and have a few thoughts.

First and foremost I ask that you remember that politics is about addition not subtraction. It is the number of seats that you hold that will determine the ability to control Parliament, not the quality of those candidates. This is not to say that you don’t want to ensure that the candidates are not sound. Also remember that different types of candidates appeal to different segments of the population. A more “liberal” candidate might do better in the urban areas, and a more conservative candidate in the rural areas. How will this process account for that factor?

Second, on the issue of ideology, you need to ensure that the criteria used to evaluate a potential candidates is objective and not subjective. “Testing whether a candidates heart is in the right place” is a grey area. Different people enter politics for different reasons, and the personal bias of one of the folks evaluating the potential candidates may cause the party to exclude an otherwise good candidate. Also, the ability of the party to make these types of personal judgments seeks only to subtract from your support not add to it. You need to be very careful here.

If you have a pool of candidates then you can take these into consideration with the rational that you want to field the strongest candidate, and offer no more information. Yet, if this document were to ever make its way into the public, you’d be in big trouble.
    Third, many of the issues mentioned in the evaluation are really solid. They are fundamental building blocks of a good campaign. Yet, many of those are ones that should be taught in the Party’s campaign school. You might have a solid potential candidate who could perform well, but needs grooming. The Party training academy should be the skills building vehicle to do this. The Academy can offer public speaking courses and public relations projects.

Finally, don’t make the criteria so strong as to push otherwise good candidates out of the race. For example, there may be a local small businessman/woman who is a role model in their community because of their ability to work hard and build a business. Yet they had no time to perform community service. Should they be penalized for this?

These are just a few quick thoughts….let me know if you need more.
    py

Re: How to select a candidate - Comments 11

BC: Here's my tuppence worth of thoughts of what you are putting together. The effort is admirable, no doubt, but have you considered that some of the MPs and ADUNs are there to make up the numbers since these people are picked for specific reasons.

These are the one who will not make it to the front bench.

Simply put, if you pick 200 good ones for 200 seats and all of them win, some are going to be resentful if they are not picked to join the cabinet.

So, some people are picked for specific reasons.

Reply: First we need a basis for selection. As far as possible, we follow it. The passing marks may vary. Say West Coast states like Selangor, Perak and Penang - need 55%, other Peninsular states 50% and Sabah/Sarawak 45%. Beyond that, the leader may have discretion with about 10% of the seats say (just a conjecture on my part). Under the Party constitution, woman make up 30% of the candidates. Maybe a couple for the minorities. Are these the "numbers" you were referring to?

BC: No, what I mean is that if a political party has all "superbly academically qualified" candidates, all of them expect to serve on the Front Bench.

So, without going into gender and minority representation, a party needs to have some kind of balance in the list of its candidates so that the ordinary Malaysians can identify with the same.

For instance, it may do us well to ponder over why Tun Dr Lim Chong Eu had to inject "fresh blood" into the 1974 campaign after the Gerakan won control of the Penang State Government in 1969.

Simply put, he had to have a team of "leowful" ADUNs to take over from the "leowless" ADUNs. That probably explains why the Gerakan administration under him was relatively a lot more effective than, say the Alliance State Government under the late Tan Sri Wong Pow Nee.

As to why the Gerakan went into a tailspin 18 years after Chong Eu's departure, we have to factor in the leadership or lack of leadership of the Gerakan!

Reply: PhD holder gets in total 4.5 points (3%) taking into account his Masters and basic Degree. That is not significant and doesn't put those without it at a great disadvantage. So I am a bit puzzled how you got the idea that only superbly academically-qualified candidates get selected. A person with a good personality gets more than that (5 points).

The most important criteria is loyalty to the country and to the people - not easy to assess but important nonetheless. We feel that people in this category are less likely to betray the people by being corrupt and/or jumping across parties.

There is never any fool-proof method of candidate selection. All we can do is try to put up something and refine it based on public feedback and in-house brainstorming.

We are also looking at experience in other countries to guide us.
    py

Re: How to select a candidate - Comments 12 & 13

12. PW: The selection criteria, published and transparent, will be more fair
    to everybody and good for the party. However you will need to devise
    some system to check on the accuracy of the points declared.
    Critical criteria like loyalty to the country, financial solvency and
    ability to communicate well may have to be mandatory.

13. RC, US: 5.5 Commitment: Party activities, training, by-elections, GE: 0.2 marks per year - good.
    6.3-6.9 Communication: recommend adding the ability to communicate the party's platform and how their platform relates to the party's
    7.1 Funding Capacity: I wouldn’t limit to personal wealth, but incorporate the candidate's ability to fundraise
    10. Personal Platform & Political Position: total weight is 13. would think of expanding this equal to leadership of 15. Is candidate's vision equally as important as their leadership potential?
    Others: Recommend adding a Campaign School (1 week) into the party's criteria. And if the candidate completes the school an added score is given based on school perfromance.
    py

Re: How to select a candidate - Comments 14

KM: Good attempt.

I've put in some comments of my own.

I have some more general points:

1) Try to keep the KPIs as simple to quantify as possible. Where it gets more subjective e.g. leadership skills, honesty etc... try to use a wide sampling method among the different party leaders (and even some trusted councillors, ngo leaders) to measure using a simple survey

2) You have to focus on the process as much as the details i.e. use the feedback process from the various leaders as a way of getting buy-in

3) frankly, none of this is going to count for anything unless you get anwar's approval. i'm not sure u have that yet. which is why i'm not willing to spend that much time on it.

2.1 - 2.5: Critical Factors: Hard to evaluate, especially for new candidates without a pre-existing profile, consider junking.

3. Personal Background:
    3.2 Marital Status: If married, do due diligence and interview wife. If single, check 'dating' history.
    3.3 Parents, siblings, spouse and children: Also check to see if there are any ties to other leaders within the party - accuastions of Nepotism!
    3.5 Ties with Constituency: Resident Associations, local councillors, NGO: This is IMPORTANT! Break it up into separate categories, include length of service.
    3.6 Skeletons: Disclose any previous scandals - legal, moral, civil, etc: Gotta figure out your stand on something like Zaid's drinking issues. (Admin: Drinking is a private matter. No issues here as long as it is not an addiction that can hamper one's performance or behaviour, leading to a person open to blackmail or leaking of confidential information. But the religious people may disagree.)
    3.7 Bankruptcies: Same as financial status. Cut.
    3.8 Personality Profiling: Get one of the HR company templates e.g. Hay Consulting.
    3.9 Good physical health: Yes

4. Qualifications -
    Education:
    4.1 First Degree: Minimum
    4.3 Masters Degree (Research): Not necessary for exco. But give bonus.
    4.5 PhD (Research Degree): Not necessary for exco. But give bonus.

Professional Achievements:
    4.7 International Awards: Give examples. Also include other professional qualifications e.g. ACCA, CLP, etc…

5. Experience - Political:
    5.1 Years with party: Also include leadership positions held at the bahagian / local / state level.

Non-political:
    5.3 Work/Professional, 5.4 Social/Charity: Link to Personal Background. Give different grades/points depending on position held. Link to personal background.
    5.7 International Experience: Not necessary. This is negative in my view.

6. Soft Skills:
    Image: Need to find systematic way to measure this. Use larger sample size.
    Communication: Debating skills?
    Good Management Skills Level Required: - Hard to quantify and measure this section.
    6.18: Public Speaking: Two separate settings, local vs international.

7. Financial: Tricky this one. Financially independent is a plus but if you depend a lot on govt contracts, that's not good too. (Admin: One does not need to depend on govt contracts to be financially independent. All one needs is to go international.)
    7.3 SD of personal assets and liabilities: Link to personal background.

8. Leadership: Again, a lot of repeat from above.

10.3 Constituency Development Plan: Hard to do this if you have not been selected as a candidate in the past. (Admin: Not really, if a person has a professional background in engineering, architecture, town planning, geography or related field.)

11. Ideology: Hard to quantify. Get rid.

12. Others - Knowledge: Very fluffy and hard to quanitify.
    py

Re: How to select a candidate - Comments 15

TPL: Some layman thoughts:
    1. Criteria should be objective. I think the criteria you sent me were LARGELY objective. But I have pointed out those that I think are a little too subjective. E.g. "Humble", "Want to serve rakyat". I have to research how we can measure these attributes objectively. I have indicated my suggested amendments in red.

2. As an official document, it should be worded in objective language: should reword "these people" , "talking rubbish" etc.

3. I think we should not over emphasise the humble aspect. Leaders need to be pushy, firm, courageous - not be swayed by voters for fear of losing votes.Of course we need to guard against the dictator type at all cost. So we need to device predictor of such character types. Find those who use the consensus approach.

4. We need a baseline line in character. Those who have proven unreliable (non-delivery, truancy, repeated lateness) should be excluded from consideration. Then apply the criteria to the short-listed candidates. This is ideal. It assumes we have enough to choose from. If we don't do this then we end up with the current situation with the 'frogs'.

Specify the passing marks for ADUN, Exco, MP, Minister: Same std for ALL. Character does not change easily. Exco rise to ministers.

1. Regulatory Compliance: Candidate who refuse to sign will not be considered further.: A copy of Constitution?
    2. Critical Factors 2.1 - 2.6: Practical criteria?
    3.1: age 30 - 65: Applies to new candidates only.
    3.2 Married: Irrelevant.
    3.3 Parents, siblings, spouse and children: 3.3 should be "problem family members". Are we establishing candidate's honesty or his liability?
    3.4 Financial Status: No civil suits over any financial matters: Exclude proven cases. Framed?
    3.5 Ties with Constituency: Resident association, local councillor, NGO: Shows organisational background. Score shd increase with complexity of role and organisation.
    3.6 Skeletons: Disclose any previous scandals - legal, moral, civil, etc. : See 3.3 remarks.
    3.7 Bankruptcies: Fraud and bankruptcy? Business failure as proof of incompetence?
    3.9 Good physical health: Mandatory Health Screening. No life-threatening disease.: See 3.1 Age shd not matter if we have this.

5. Political
    5.1 & 5.1: Party involvement: Exclude if in doubt.
    5.3 Non-political: Include under 3.5 or near it. Success measure?
    5.6 Intellectual Capacity: Produce papers for publication: Consider public speeches given, minuted opinions
    5.7 International Experience: 5 years overseas management level: Successful posting only

6. Soft Skills:
    6.1 Project a positive image to the public: Who monitor?
    6.2 Good posture: Either endorse Lookism or drop this
    6.3 Humble (drop YB honorific, sit with audience during functions, low-key): Who monitor? See remark 7.6 below.
    6.7 - 6.9 Tamil, Kadazan, Iban: Good Skill spoken & written: If for selected constituency than should score high for the subset of candidates

Good Management Skills Required:
    6.10 - 6.19: Track record? Basis for items 5.3, 5.4. Consider together.
    6.20 Selling: Self promotion is good attribute for leaders.
    6.21 Servant Attitude: Yes/No: Servile attitude is negative.
    6.22 Time Management (punctual, gets work done within dateline): Servile attitude is negative.

7. Financial:
    7.3 - 7.5: Tie up with bankruptcy 3.7
    7.6 Other campaign resources: Materials, external support, etc: Proof of seriousness to be a servant to the people - Wording too manipulative. Leadership needs conviction and strength of character.

11. Ideology:
    11.1 - 11.4: Criteria?

12. Others - Knowledge
    12.1 Sound knowledge of and upholds the Federal Constitution and nothing else: To exclude people trying to put shariah law above the Federal Constitution. Deliberately avoiding "Secularism"?
    12.4 Good knowledge of the history of Malaya and Malaysia: Candidates will be knowledgeable about rights enshrined in Malaysia's constitution based on historical facts.
    12.5 Basic knowledge of the major religions: To ensure candidates speak knowledgeably about religions and are able to handle religious sensitive issues.
    12.6 Basic knowledge of the major customs: To ensure candidates understand and avoid customary sensitive issues.
    py

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Visitors found this page by searching for:

how adun is selected in malaysia

i appreciate selecting me among your candidates

stand for election

understanding elections in malaysia mp adun

aDUN stands for

current adun & mp

SEO Blog