Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to select a candidate to stand for ADUN or MP

How to select a candidate to stand for ADUN or MP

We are drafting some guidelines for selecting an election candidate. We welcome your views on this subject. Please identify the item no. and give your comments.

The proposed guidelines below are quite stringent and may need to be toned down.

py

Re: How to select a candidate to stand for ADUN or MP

wow! this is the 1st time I heard this. Never heard before in any other political parties.

Quote Originally Posted by pywong
    We are drafting some guidelines for selecting an election candidate. We welcome your views on this subject. Please identify the item no. and give your comments.

The proposed guidelines below are quite stringent and may need to be toned down.

Goldchan, please share with your friends and contribute some ideas.
    py

Tone down?.When it come to seeking the best,we must not compromise.

Re: How to select a candidate - Comments 1

there are two things I wish it could be implemented after the candidate won the election then back off to become independent or jump to another party. This should be done after the candidate is selected.
    Sorry PY for off topic a bit.
    a) 1st thing must angkat sumpah in front of temple, church or mosque that they will not jump party throughout their term. Best done in popular temple, church or mosque with strong god presence one (lian one). Angkat sumpah process must be Video recorded. to be distributed upon violation. I;m a bit old-style on this issue.

b) Placement of deposit.
    bi) Self payment deposit. House/property title
    bii) 3rd party deposit. Someone else pay for you.
    In case jump party during term, deposit will be forfeited.

Goldchan, please share with your friends and contribute some ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldChan
    there are two things I wish it could be implemented after the candidate won the election then back off to become independent or jump to another party. This should be done after the candidate is selected.
    Sorry PY for off topic a bit.
    a) 1st thing must angkat sumpah in front of temple, church or mosque that they will not jump party throughout their term. Best done in popular temple, church or mosque with strong god presence one (lian one). Angkat sumpah process must be Video recorded. to be distributed upon violation. I;m a bit old-style on this issue.

b) Placement of deposit.
    bi) Self payment deposit. House/property title
    bii) 3rd party deposit. Someone else pay for you.
    In case jump party during term, deposit will be forfeited.
    Frogs: I believe this is due to lack of self-pride and integrity. That is why we look for people who care for the country.
    Swearing in a holy place: What happens if a person does not believe in the act or is an atheist? Then he swears knowing he doesn't believe in it.

Deposit: Not sure whether this is legal. One measure is to make the candidate pay for his own campaign fund. This got many potential candidates worried as it can be a significant sum for them. A possibility is a provision for the party to reimburse the candidate up to 75% of his campaign expenditure if he stays the full-term.

3rd possibility is to provide for candidate to resign if he wants to jump and seek a fresh mandate from the voters.
    py

Re: How to select a candidate - Comments 2

Frogs: I believe this is due to lack of self-pride and integrity. That is why we look for people who care for the country.
    Swearing in a holy place: What happens if a person does not believe in the act or is an atheist? Then he swears knowing he doesn't believe in it.

Deposit: Not sure whether this is legal. One measure is to make the candidate pay for his own campaign fund. This got many potential candidates worried as it can be a significant sum for them. A possibility is a provision for the party to reimburse the candidate up to 75% of his campaign expenditure if he stays the full-term.

3rd possibility is to provide for candidate to resign if he wants to jump and seek a fresh mandate from the voters.
    Well, currently who pays for the campaign? candidate or party.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldChan
    Well, currently who pays for the campaign? candidate or party.

Depends on who you direct that question to. It's probably a mix - some from candidate, some from party, some from public donations.
    py

Re: How to select a candidate to stand for MP - What is Zaid Ibrahim's rating?

Under the criteria used below, Zaid would rate 70%, which is better than 95% of the current PKR MPs and ADUNs. Anwar barely beat him by a whisker.

Selecting him as the candidate is a no-brainer. His problem will be the Malay votes.

Zaid tipped to be Pakatan candidate
    By Syed Jaymal Zahiid

KUALA LUMPUR, April 6 — PKR has narrowed down the list of candidates for the Hulu Selangor by-election with former Umno Law Minister Datuk Zaid Ibrahim a favourite to be selected ahead of influential local leader Datuk Dr Halili Rahmat.

Party officials told The Malaysian Insider today that the two names have been touted as the best candidates for the by-election but Zaid is said to have the upper hand. TheMalaysiaInsider....

Sources say the influential lawyer carries “national weight” despite being an outsider and is seen by PKR as the best candidate to challenge Barisan Nasional come polling day on April 25.
    py

Re: How to select a candidate - Comments 3

Dear PY,

As per your request I am posting my response to the candidates' criteria.

In the manifesto of PKR, upholding the Federal Constitution and recognising the rights of citizens regardless of race, class, gender or social background. This implies inclusiveness and equality. Hence, putting in the criteria that married persons are preferred as candidates raises concern. Selection process for candidates need to be based on merits - if a woman or man has the qualifications - is capable, intelligent and has the necessary skills, adherence to rights, integrity and democratic governance - then that person can be a potential candidate.

Therefore, to highlight that married candidates are preferred is a very bias criteria. There is also no mention of their commitment towards gender equality and human rights - this is important as this was the transformation that PKR promotes. As a party, PKR has to challenge its candidates to be open to these principles so that there will not be any sexist remarks made in parliament, during elections.

Even if the points given is very low, to even mention it as part of the criteria will give an impression of biasness. As it is the traditional view is that these positions are not even open for women. PKR need to lead in defining what it mean by being inclusive and it must be reflected in the criteria. When we put this bias position in - married preferred - it is not giving an equal opportunity to the others who have chosen to be single. It also says that married candidate has more clout as compared to singles. From experience, we can tell that married men and women do jump ship.

Seriously, such a criteria cannot be included as part of the selection - other points can be considered such as merits, integrity and loyalty to the party but not based on marital status.

I do hope that the criteria will be removed.

my two sens,
    maria abdullah

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Visitors found this page by searching for:

how adun is selected in malaysia

i appreciate selecting me among your candidates

stand for election

understanding elections in malaysia mp adun

aDUN stands for

current adun & mp

SEO Blog