Sng's breakfast date with Anwar raises eyebrows

Stephen Tiong
Feb 6, 11

Businessman Sng Chee Hua's breakfast date with Parti Keadilan Rakyat (PKR) de facto leader Anwar Ibrahim at a hotel coffeehouse in Kuching this morning raised eyebrows among the party members and the press people.

"What is he (Sng) up to?" asked a PKR leader on seeing Anwar sitting in the same table with Sng (left), PKR Sri Aman branch leader Jimmy Donald, PKR vice president Datuk John Tenewi Nuek and PKR State assemblyperson Dominique Ng Kim Ho prior to Anwar's press conference.

Sarawak PKR chief Baru Bian, however, declined to give any comment on Anwar's breakfast date with Sng, although perhaps deep in his heart, he was rather disappointed to see Sng.

He arrived at the hotel when Anwar was about to leave for the press conference.

It is understood that Baru and Sng were not in the best of terms when both were in the defunct Parti Bansa Dayak Sarawak (PBDS).

Both were in PBDS president Daniel Tajem's team until Sng jumped to the rival camp, led by Land Development Minister Dr James Masing.

That was how Baru came to dislike Sng for betraying Tajem's camp.

Baru (right) and other Sarawak PKR leaders had always been suspicious each time they saw Sng with Anwar.

Some are even contemplating resigning from the party if Anwar took Sng seriously, or even asked him to get involved in the party's affairs.

They might jump to the Sarawak National Party (SNAP).

They reasoned that Sng's active involvement in PKR affairs would lead to the breaking up of the party.

"We don't like him one bit," a woman leader, who wanted to remain anonymous, said.

"We have every reason to dislike him," she added, declining to disclose the reasons.

'Partyless' son

A reporter at the press conference asked Anwar whether Sng was paving the way for his 'partyless' son, Larry, who is also an assistant minister in the chief minister's office, to enter PKR.

Sng junior had been without a party since his sacking from Parti Rakyat Sarawak (PRS) some three years ago for bringing disrepute to it.

Anwar replied:"I don't know why this private breakfast has become a national issue.

"He is an old friend and I asked about his family," he said. "That was it."

Anwar said Jimmy, Tenewi and Ng were his witnesses.

"There was not one serious political discussion taking place.

"I know some people have reservations whom I have breakfast with. I think they should learn more about politics. There was no political discussion with Sng," he insisted.

Asked whether he was aware that some PKR members were suspicious of Sng, Anwar (right) said:"People should be more mature in politics. You should take a view that you are friends of everyone, but you must exercise your right to preserve the interests and principles of the party. That is important.

"We should stand up for our principles. We talk, discuss and meet with everybody, but we stand to defend the principles of the party. There is no compromise on this. We stay on, you go, but nobody should say we should be exclusive, but inclusive," he added.

He said PKR members should position themselves to have enough confidence and be able to talk to anybody.

To another question, Anwar said Sng would not play a role in PKR.

"He has no position in the party. I am not sure whether he is a party member," he added.

He admitted that there were people who would like to raise issues concerning Sng.

"But I welcome anyone who wants to help us," he said.

A source told Malaysiakini that issues on SNAP were raised during the breakfast.

"PKR was concerned on the possibility of SNAP contesting in seats which would be contested by Pakatan Rakyat (PR) candidates in the coming state election," the source said.

"PKR leaders were worried about certain groups or individuals from Peninsular Malaysia funding SNAP in the election.

"With such funding, SNAP might field in candidates in all the 28 Dayak majority constituencies, and this where the problems would lie," the source said.

It is possible that Sng could be one of PKR's election financiers, to help counter's SNAP growing influence in Sarawak's rural areas.

Talks are rife that Sng would finance 15 PKR candidates in the election. Malaysiakini. Subscription required.