Thread: Historical Stories: What is a Malay?

Historical Stories: What is a Malay?

Article 160 of the Malaysian Constitution defines a Malay as:

"Malay" means a person who professes the religion of Islam, habitually speaks the Malay language, conforms to Malay custom and -
    (a) was before Merdeka Day born in the Federation or in Singapore or born of parents one of whom was born in the Federation or in Singapore, or was on that day domiciled in the Federation or in Singapore; or
    (b) is the issue of such a person;
    The article no longer applies to Singapore, as it declared independence from Malaysia in 1965; however, it does affect the legal status of Malay Singaporeans when they enter Malaysia. Wikipedia.

The above definition does not define a race. It's just a catch-all phrase to corral as many people as possible under 1 umbrella to be controlled through control of Islam.

It is possible for a Malay to suddenly become a non-Malay merely by opting out of the Islamic religion.

This is in contrast to the universal definition of a race, as shown in the description below of Malays:

a member of a people inhabiting the northern Malay Peninsula and Malaysia and parts of the western Malay Archipelago
    a western subfamily of Western Malayo-Polynesian languages
    wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

Malays (Melayu) are an ethnic group of Austronesian peoples predominantly inhabiting the Malay Peninsula including the southernmost parts of Thailand, the east coast of Sumatra, the coast of Borneo, and the smaller islands which lie between these locations. ...
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malay_(ethnic_group)
    The article below attempts to analyse it from another perspective in a form that may not be very agreeable to many Malays.

Melayu Are Stupid
    LETTERS/SURAT

Friday, 03 December 2010

Written by John Doe

Who says that it is arbitrarily wrong to state the above? How many people even know who is a Melayu, and who is not? Do Malaysians even know the difference? Well, take a walk with me, and see how you fare on this educational journey.
    The next time you meet someone who claims to be a “Melayu”, ask him, or her if he/she is a “Melayu Deli” or “Melayu Riau”. That’s the first question the individual needs to answer. A Javanese is definitely NOT a Melayu. He is a Javanese. The same applies to a Batak, Achehnese, Bugis, Sundanese, Sumba, Florence, Balinese, and so on. BTW, the Bataks are further subdivided into Karonese, Toba, PakPak, and so on. And NONE see eye to eye, and have much heated debates on which group is more “Pure”. I guess that they forgot that the concept of Thoroughbreds is directly propagating the concept of in-breeding. Somewhere, somehow, people just forgot this.

You see, in Indonesia, there are more than 164 suku’s, and Melayu is but one of them. Why is it so hard for goons like Abraham Ali to convince these Austronesian Migrants to call themselves a Melayu? The answer is so really simple. It’s because, in Indonesia, the Melayu are called “Lazy”, and “Stupid”, and “Totally Useless”. Go ahead, ask your Indonesian Maid what she knows about “Melayu”. And then call her a Melayu, and watch her putrid reaction. The original location for the Melayu is contested between the Medan regions, but more and more are agreeing that it was really in Jambi. Regardless, of which “camp” is correct, Medan is today, nearly void of any Melayu Deli. Most who have been to Medan, will quickly tell you that the Melayu are really really lazy people. Thus, no one wants to hire them, or to do business with them in Indonesia. It is so rare to find any Melayu who is hardworking here.

It might also come to surprise many, that the Melayu have almost disappeared in Medan today, to be replaced by Orang Jowo. The Javanese are really the more hardworking of the lot, and as such, have taken over most of Indonesia. In fact many in Malaysia are Javanese. These Javanese migrants brought along with them, their culture, and traditions. The Kuda Kepang is but one of them. Less desirable traditions which were brought over are “female circumcision”. (Google it, and look at the Malaysian statistics yourself) This has absolutely nothing to do with Religion, but rather a cultural trait. This is however, not to be confused with the Female Genital Mutilation of Africa.

So, it becomes harder and harder to understand Abraham Ali, each time he screams and shouts “Ketuanan Melayu”, when in actual fact, no one in the Peninsular is really Melayu to begin with. Tough choice, because if these Austronesians of Malaysia decide to call themselves by their original Suku/ Puak, then they’d lose everything which is promised to them as prescribed in the Federal Constitution. Tough. Just as Jibby is a Bugis, but decides to downgrade himself by calling himself a Melayu.

The Melayu are really looked down upon in Indonesia. The name itself is shunned, and in the Javanese Language, the word “Melayu” means a fugitive. No wonder so many still refuse to be called “Melayu”, except in rare moments when the carrot-on-a-stick is brought out. Phrases like “Don’t insult me by calling me a Melayu, I am a Javanese” can still be heard throughout Malaysia. It is also interesting to note at this point, that the Kelantanese are migrants from both Pattani, as well as from the Champa Kingdom in Central Vietnam. They too fled their country, and arrived in Malaysia in the not too distant past.

The Chinese. The Stupid Chinese !! They were always hated by the Javanese from time immemorial. First, the Chinese started to bring in this strange new religion called Islam. The Wali Songo Chapter is clearly marked in History. The 9 Supreme Mubaligh of Islam were all Chinese, and they spread Islam to all of Java. For years and years, this information was greatly suppressed.

These 9 Chinese-Muslim Saints are the symbol of the spread of Islam in the Nusantara.

The same fate of suppression applied to the Demak Kingdom. Up till very recently, all books about the Demak Kingdom was banned in Indonesia. Why? Their Sultan was a Chinese Man named Chek Kok Po, who is today known as Raden Patah. He had a vision to spread Islam to Java by the sword. And this he did by working in collaboration with Malacca, just across the Straits of Sumatera. Thus, together, they conquered most of the North of Java. The Majapahitans (Javanese), on the other hand, were Hindu. And they really started to develop a sincere hate for the Muslim Chinese, as it upset their Gods. At that time, it was Lingghi worship, which was predominant. Vishnu, Ganesha, and Krishna had already been slightly sidelined in favour of the Male Penis-worship. Somehow, the Javanese liked this, and thus, became sworn enemies of the Chinese, who insisted on bringing in Islam to these “Barbarians”.

Graves from the Demak Kingdom.

The Javanese hated the Chinese for forcefully bringing Islam to Indonesia. The Indians also played an important role in bringing Islam into Malaysia. The Gujeratti’s were mostly Muslim, and were equally just as enthusiastic about spreading Islam to the same “Barbarians”. The Chola’s however, were mostly Hindu, and they were responsible for spreading Hinduism, which stayed in Southeast Asia for 1,500 years, beginning from the 2nd century in Lembah Bujang (Kedah), Bali and Champa, till the 15th Century. The Arabs on the other hand, were mostly Pirates, and robbed and pillaged their way to China. Their descendants, with the Mogolian refugees are the Bugis people today. It is no wonder, that the Bugis remained fiersome pirates, and were extensively used by Parameswara, to extort “Toll Fees” from passing ships. This over-enthusiasm to collect such “fees” eventually led to their demise when innocent passing Portuguese ships refused to pay. They were attacked by Malacca, and in retaliation, revisited Malacca with only 30 ships, subdued it, and made Malacca into their new Naval base.

It is important to note, that Ma Huan, the scribe of Zheng He, had recorded that there was not a single Muslim in the Island of Java when they arrived in the mid 15th Century. Perhaps Zheng He left a few Muslim Scholars behind, to help spread Islam. No one really knows. What we do know, however, is that Zheng He must have been very frustrated, as he could not find a single Halal Restaurant in Java when he arrived. Islam was not to touch the shores of Java till a good 50 years later, when Chek Kok Poh brought it in by force (literally by the sword) in the early 16th Century, when he conquered most of North Java.

Coming back to the Melayu. Regardless of whether they are called Melayu Deli, or Melayu Riau, they are pendatangs to Malaysia. Their original homeland was in Jambi, Palembang, Brunei, Philippines, Sarawak, and the Riau Islands. Oh, and for the record, it is only called “Johor-Riau Islands” by Malaysia. The Indonesians NEVER call it anything else other than Riau.

So, here’s a recap.

1) We do not know why UMNO is chanting “Ketuanan Melayu”. Nobody is Melayu in Malaysia anyway.

2) The Melayu (Deli and Riau) in Indonesia are called Lazy, Stupid and Useless.

3) There is a deep-seated hate for the Chinese by Indonesians. Firstly because they brought Islam to Java, which upset their Hindu Gods, and second, their diligence today, which makes everyone else look lazy.

4) This deep-seated hate led to their Massacre during the Genocide in 1998. Watch the Youtube Documentary HERE.

5) Since most fake-Melayu’s in Malaysia are Javanese, it comes as no surprise that they brought along with them, this deep seated hate for the Chinese.

6) Despite UMNO people clearly announcing that they are anything BUT Melayu in public, it becomes ironic that no one is contesting their “Special Rights”, because the “Special Rights” are for the Melayu, yet no one benefiting from this, is a Melayu at all. Not even the Sultan’s who are Bugis, Palembang, Pattani, Orang Asli or “dan lain-lain” (as many are of mixed parentage).

7) I find it demeaning that ONLY the Melayu needs to be defined in the Constitution.

8.) You want to find a Melayu, go to Brunei, Sarawak, Philippines, Riau, or Jambi and Palembang. There’s none left in Peninsular Malaysia.

9) Even Singapore has more REAL Melayu than Malaysia.

10) “Ketuanan Pendatang” is a much more appropriate replacement.

The Chinese have played an extremely large role in shaping the history of the Nusantara. Initially the Austronesians hated them for bringing Islam to the region, again, when the Japanese reinforced that the Chinese were evil, and today, they are still hated for making everyone else look lazy. Perhaps this deep-seated hate can be brought to rest, by bringing to light what truly happened in History.

Not the retarded History lessons which UMNO insists on force-feeding down the throats of the young, but rather the unbiased version from real Academics in the field. But for the record, no one wants to be known as a Melayu in Indonesia, as they are simply classed at the bottom of the bottom. Malaysia-today....

py

Historical Stories: What DNA tells us

What DNA tells us
    LETTERS/SURAT

Thursday, 24 February 2011 Combat

By John Doe

Deoxyribonucleic acid (/diˌɒksiˌraɪbɵ.njuːˌkleɪ.ɨk ˈæsɪd/, or DNA, is a nucleic acid that contains the genetic instructions used in the development and functioning of all known living organisms. For UMNO to want to charge Anwar in court is to mean that they believe in DNA (like Religion), and have every confidence in it. It also means that it is NOT up for discussion or dispute, and DNA profiling has also been known to sometimes be THE ONLY evidence to confirm and send a convicted Criminal to his death.

In other words, DNA test is irrefutable. It is provable, and is above all reproach. No amount of swearing on any Koran is going to change a thing. Am I right?

Previously, I wrote and detailed how the "Austronesian DNA" (aka Malay DNA) is the End Product of Mongoloid and Dravidic DNA coitus. This simply means that, in the Malaysian context, Malay=Chindians. Or, in some Politician's Words, "The end Product of Beggars and Prostitutes Copulating".

Today, I will make another revelation. One which many will find hard to swallow (unlike Saiful). In fact, this will change the Mind's Landscape for many. Either make DNA HARAM from now on, and tag it as "the work of the Devil", or embrace it and obtain a whole fresh new perspective in Life.

DNA is NOT a Religion. It is evidence. It is evidence which tells us beyond reproach that what is in our bodies. And how all living matter is closely related. DNA is NOT asking or begging one to "believe". It is about rigorous-testing, and is cross-tested against sample after sample after sample. It is testable, and if found to be conclusive, is irrefutable. (Whether one chooses to believe it or not, becomes insignificant)

Let us begin. DNA tells us that we, humans are 98% similar to Chimpanzees. In fact, the average human IQ-score is 120, and a Chimpanzee's is 100. Should anyone's IQ Score fall below 100, (such as UMNO), should be removed from Political Office. Why? because that person's IQ is less than that of a Chimpanzee !! And who wants their country to be run by a person with less IQ than that of a common monkey?

Let's move on. The DNA profile tells us that we, Homo Sapiens moved out of Africa at around 120 thousand years ago, migrated to India, past Malaya, and ended up in Australia, Papua, Fiji and the Oceanic Islands. These original Orang Asli's are called Australo-Melanesians. Proof of this is in Archaeological Sites such as Perak Man, Niah Caves (40,000 yrs ago), Lake Mungo Australia (50,000 years ago) Pa Thaem (40,000yrs ago), and so on. Hundreds and hundreds of Sites dot the entire Landscape, and not one contradicts each other. Cambridge University has also embarked on mapping the human genome, and so have many other reputable Universities and Institutions, including the National Geographic Society. They have ALL reached the same conclusion. And that Conclusion is that all of mankind walked out of Africa circa 120,000 years ago. Underneath our skin, we are all African. Are we?

In the previous theory, we were also told that our skins became lighter as Homo Sapiens stayed in cooler climates and their Melanin content became fairer and fairer. However, many people were skeptical, and even scientists were slightly apprehensive about this "lightening of skin" process, not because it could not happen, but that the time it took, was simply too short. I was always confused about this skin-lightening issue myself. Well, enter the Homo Neanderthalis. 15 years ago, at my University, I presented a talk on the possibility perhaps Homo Neanderthalis inter-bred with the Homo Sapiens. I was immediately shot down. People said that it was just not possible. Obviously, I was then sent for counseling, and was assigned to be "reprogrammed" by "Religious People" that Man, who is made in God's image, was NOT to interbreed with ANY MONKEY! Never had, and never will. And was taught that Bestiality was abhorrent !! Bestiality means man having sex animals. Furthermore, I was also duly informed that I would be charged in court for "promoting Sex with Animals" if I did not immediately shut up. To be fair, I was only guessing, and did not have any real hard data on me at that time. I dutifully accepted the chastise and rebuke.

Fast Forward till 2010. The BBC carried a report which details how Homo Neanderthalis DNA is found in Homo Sapiens. I was so excited to hear about it, that I started calling up old friends in this field, and was eager to get the low-down on the details. A year has passed since then, and many new interesting discoveries have been made. It has now been determined that EVERY single Non-African on this planet carries 1-4% of Homo Neanderthalis DNA.

The Homo Neanderthalis lived predominantly in Europe, stretching across till the southern tip of Siberia. They lived from 250,000 years ago till 35,000 years ago. They had a brief overlap with the Homo Sapiens in Europe for 5,000 years, from 35,000 till 30,000 years ago. That 5,000 years was simply crucial for this interbreeding to happen. Elsewhere in the Middle East and Ukraine, they had an even longer period of overlap. This also helps fill that "missing-link" space. The question was, why there was jump from Dark-Skins to Fair Skins in such a short period of time? The answer is so readily available (via DNA of course) that it was caused by the fact that Homo Neanderthalis is indeed Fair-skinned. If we look at the Australo Melanesians from this region, they stayed Dark-Skined throughout their 60,000 year stay in Malaysia. The Papuans, the Fijians, and even the Australian Aborigines stayed dark-skinned.

Today, we can conclusively say, and with much confidence too, that the fairer one's skin is, the more Neanderthal DNA we have (at least, at the Epidural Level). The Africans have ZERO Neanderthal DNA. and neither do the Orang Asli's who never interbred with any of their Indonesian (Pendatang) Cousins. By this DNA discovery, not only are ANY fair-skinned person a Hybrid of the Homo Neanderthalis-Sapien, it means that ONLY the Africans are the ONLY True-Blue Homo Sapiens, aka HUMAN !! I am proud to announce that the Negritos, Fijians and Papuans are ALSO True Blue Homo Sapiens!

The rest of us are simply Hybrids !!

And as DNA tells us, the fairer one is, the MORE Neanderthal DNA they have. There has always been a form of "racism" against dark-skinned people. Now we know why. It is the Neanderthal in them which is shouting "I WANT TO BE MY ORIGINAL WHITE SELF !!!"

Upon reading, this one can argue, and scream and shout, and rant. But this is what the DNA tells us. I cannot help you, if you do not agree. Perhaps I can suggest that you start a RIOT in front of the Medical Facility which does conduct DNA testings, and also, that Anwar's Case be thrown out of the window, because it is now this same DNA, (which you claim is false) is up someone's ass.

Yes. Discard the DNA, make it inadmissible, Shut down the entire DNA Facility, and bring in the FOUR MALE witnesses instead !!

For those wishing to further their knowledge, the Homo Neanderthalis DNA bridges the gap of the other alternate Theory, of the the Multi-Region Theory of Evolution:

( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multire..._modern_humans)

In fact, this new data complements and supports it, since we now know that once can insert the 4% Homo Neanderthalis DNA at the base of every stem from each of the 2 Racial-Groups sandwiched between the Homo Erectus and Archaic stage. Also for the uninitiated, what this page tagged as "The Australians" are NOT the White ex-British Cons. They refer to the same cluster as the Malaysian Negritos.

Since a long time ago, the Human Brain's increase in size, from it's monkey days, has always been attributed to "Superior Intelligence". Agree or disagree, we now know that the Homo Neanderthalis had a HUGE brain. In fact it is much larger than ours. I now have a simple question for you. If a 7ft mother married a 4ft Husband. What is the most probable height of their child? Logic will immediately tell us that it is most likely somewhere in-between. Not so likely to be as tall as the 7ft mother, and not so likely to be as short as the 4ft husband. The height of this child will be somewhere in-between. This is perhaps exactly what happened to the brain-size increase for humans. It became larger because of interbreeding with Homo Neanderthalis.

Now, the BBC News carried a story which is so wrong, They claimed that this new 1-4% Neanderthalis DNA discovery in ALL non-African Homo Sapiens "proves" that the "Out of Africa Theory" is wrong. In fact, this new discovery does NOT disprove the "Out of Africa" of "Eve Theory", but rather, fortifies it and even bridges the "Multi-Region Theory", making it now possible for all three previously seemingly "opposing" theories to converge, and sit tightly together as a single unit. Most forget that the Homo Neanderthalis is NOT an Alien as Erich von Däniken , Zechariah Sitchin or Alan F Alford proposed, but they too, migrated out of Africa at 250,000years ago. And now that we know that they had 220,000 years to become fair (living in the cold region of Europe), had thus plenty of time to become fair, or that they were previously either Albino or "White Monkeys", not unlike the Alouatta Caraya species.

So, in a sense, this even bridges that "gap", but instead of attributing that "jump" or sudden "advance", it is now filled with Homo Neanderthalis. What does this all mean?

Previously, the Neanderthals were thought to be stupid, and dumb cave-men-like creatures. This was because of the Ethnocentricity of people. We now know that the Neanderthals were smart. In fact, they were so smart, that they managed to survive 250,000 years of continuous Ice-Ages and heat waves. The supposedly modern Homo Sapien, with all his Modern gadgets can barely survive in such Artic-like conditions without the help of modern day equipment. Try this 250,000 years ago.

What is even more interesting now, will be my new proposal that it was the Homo Neanderthalis who gave Homo Sapiens "Religion". And why do I dare to propose that?

The Neanderthals were known to bury their dead. Animals do not do that. Supposedly only because "Man is Superior" and has an understanding of the concept of the After-Life does Man decide to bury their dead. The Neanderthals buried their dead with Flowers, and Jewelry (just like the Egyptians but without the mummification). And these sites are strewn all over Europe but have a higher concentration in Iran. Iran, Iraq peoples are and were Nomadic. If I can be so bold as to re-label them as IRANQ (pronounced Ee-runk) then this would be the Mother of present day religions. Abraham came from the Land of Ur, and the Land of Ur is in Iran. And from Abraham, came the Judaeo-Christian-Islamic Traditions. Hinduism came from Iran (8,000 years ago) Writing came from Iran, and Zorastarianism also came from Iran. (The Bahai, which is also from Iran, is but claiming that ALL Religions are correct, hence I cannot use this as a "Religion" in the true sense of the word) In fact, the Middle East had more than 6,000 Religions at that time. This started even before the Bronze-Age Religions which the Bahai's claim to come from.

The Neanderthals had already been burying their dead from since (at least 150,000 years ago. This is 30,000 years older than the oldest known Homo Sapien Grave, of the 110,000 yrs in a cave in Southern Israel. Then why the Middle East? If you look back at the map above again, it would not be too hard to conclude that this was simply because it had the highest concentration of Neanderthals. If one also looks at the map more closely, you will notice that it more-or-less directly corresponds with the habitat of the Caucasoids as well.

This also corresponds with the distribution of those found with Neanderthal DNA. The Hyoid Bone is known as the "Voice-Box" in the common language. The Neanderthal's Hyoid Bone was fully capable of speech, albeit with a lower voice. So perhaps the Jewish "censored" Lilith Story, which was the First and Original Wife of Adam had it's truths? She did go east, to the Land of Nod to marry "Other Men". Were these the Neanderthals? And the mark on Cain's head was also to prevent "The other tribes" from harming him. Were these "Other Tribes" really just the Neanderthals? The Bible, The Koran, and the Jewish Bibles speak a lot about "The Land of Giants" as well. Could these Giants be the Neanderthals as well?

Science will allow us to move ahead, and make new discoveries. And it that process, probably rewrite the old proposals, or amend them. This has so clearly been the case since it's original proposal at 150 years ago by Charles Darwin. Let UMNO rave and rant about "Race & Superiority". The rest of us Academicians, Intellectuals, and Researchers will surge ahead new and exciting discoveries.

Regardless whether one chooses to "believe" in DNA or not, the truth of the matter is that the entire Human, and pre-human History is well recorded inside our bodies.

We all had the same origins, whether we call them Adam & Eve or the "Eve Theory", we are made from the same HydroCarbonSapiens are truly part of that Animal Kingdom ourselves. material as all other life on this planet.

There is NO Dominion over all the animals. We, Homo Sapiens are truly part of that Animal Kingdom ourselves. Malaysia-today....
    py

Today a Malay....tomorrow no more. What is 'Malay'?

Friday, October 31, 2008
    Today a Malay....tomorrow no more. What is 'Malay'?

I was very curious about the word 'Malay' - who is the Malay? Is it a race or ethnic group?

A person could be born a Malay - but could become a non-Malay if he/she converts and become a 'non-Muslim'. So there cannot be a Buddhist Malay, Hindu Malay, Sikh Malay, Christian Malay --- according to the Malaysian Federal Constitution definition of 'Malay'.

Also wondered whether a person can be declared to NOT a Malay - because it is shown that he/she does not "...habitually speaks the Malay language, conforms to Malay custom...". Who will decide on this? So Malays and/or their children who do not habitually speak Malay...are no more Malay. Interesting.

The Federal Constitution defines Malay in Article 160(2) as follows:-

"Malay" means a person who professes the religion of Islam, habitually speaks the Malay language, conforms to Malay custom and -

(a) was before Merdeka Day born in the Federation or in Singapore or born of parents one of whom was born in the Federation or in Singapore, or is on that day domiciled in the Federation or in Singapore; or

(b) is the issue of such a person;

In my quest, I came across a posting in Nuraina A Samad's 3540 Jalan Sudin Blog entitled "Malays are Not a Race", which is also pasted below. Your comments would be appreciated..

Malays Are Not a Race

Bergen is one of my favourite bloggers. He is witty, smart, funny, irreverent, sometimes self-effacing, and a lot more.

He sent me a very long comment from a commentator to his posting on "Freedom to Choose A Religion". The commentator by the name of Micheal Chick, says that there is no such thing as a/the Malay race. Of course, many of us would beg to differ.

I have sought Bergen's permission to reproduce his message (in bold) , followed by Micheal Chick's comment (in italics).

I reproduce here the comments posted by a Micheal Chick in my blog. Maybe it has nothing to do with your father's struggle, or maybe it has. I don't have the brain for this. You don't have to post it in the comments box if you don't want to.

"It's been interesting to read such free-flowing comments on an all "Malaysian" free for all. While we are on the subject, how many of you have read the book entitled "Contesting Malayness"? Written by a Professor of National University of Singapore. Cost S$32 (about). It reflects the Anthropologists views that there is no such race as the "Malays" to begin with. If we follow the original migration of the Southern Chinese of 6,000yrs ago, they moved into Taiwan, (now the Alisan), then into the Phillipines (now the Aeta) and moved into Borneo (4,500yrs ago) (Dayak). They also split into Sulawesi and progressed into Jawa, and Sumatera. The final migration was to the Malayan Peninsular 3,000yrs ago. A sub-group from Borneo also moved to Champa in Vietnam at 4,500yrs ago.

Interestingly, the Champa deviant group moved back to present day Kelantan. There are also traces of the Dong Song and HoaBinh migration from Vietnam and Cambodia. To confuse the issue, there was also the Southern Thai migration, from what we know as Pattani today. (see also "Early Kingdoms of the Indonesian Archipelago and the Malay Peninsular")

Of course, we also have the Minangkabau's which come from the descendants of Alexander the Great and a West Indian Princess. (Sejarah Melayu page 1-3)

So the million Dollar Question... Is there really a race called the "Malays"? All anthropologists DO NOT SEEM TO THINK SO.

Neither do the "Malays" who live on the West Coast of Johor. They'd rather be called Javanese. What about the west coast Kedah inhabitants who prefer to be known as "Achenese"? or the Ibans who simply want to be known as IBANS. Try calling a Kelabit a "Malay" and see what response you get... you’ll be so glad that their Head-Hunting days are over.

In an article in the Star, dated: Dec 3rd 2006

available for on-line viewing at:
    http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp...2814&sec=focus

An excerp is reproduced here below:

"The Malays – taken as an aggregation of people of different ethnic backgrounds but who speak the same language or family of languages and share common cultural and traditional ties – are essentially a new race, compared to the Chinese, Indians and the Arabs with their long histories of quests and conquests.

The Malay nation, therefore, covers people of various ethnic stock, including Javanese, Bugis, Bawean, Achehnese, Thai, orang asli, the indigenous people of Sabah and Sarawak and descendants of Indian Muslims who had married local women.

Beneath these variations, however, there is a common steely core that is bent on changing the Malay persona from its perceived lethargic character to one that is brave, bold and ready to take on the world. "

The definition of “Malay” is therefore simply a collection of people's who speak a similar type language. With what is meant by a similar type language does not mean that the words are similar. Linguists call this the "Lego-type" language, where words are added on to the root word to make meaning and give tenses and such. Somehow, the Indonesians disagree with this classification and insist on being called "Indonesians" even though the majority of "Malays" have their roots in parts of Indonesia? They refuse to be called "Malay"…. Anyhow you may define it.

The writer failed to identify (probably didn't know), that the "Malay" definition also includes, the Champa, Dong Song, HoabinHian, The Taiwanese Alisan and the Philippino Aetas. He also did not identify that the "Orang Asli" are (for lack of a better term) ex-Africans. If you try to call any one of our East Malaysian brothers an "Orang Asli", they WILL BEAT YOU UP! I had to repeat this because almost all West Malaysians make the same mistake when we cross the South China Sea. Worse, somehow, they feel even more insulted when you call them “Malay”. Somehow, “kurang ajar” is uttered below their breath as if “Malay” was a really bad word for them. I’m still trying to figure this one out.

Watch “Malays in Africa”; a Museum Negara produced DVD. Also, the “Champa Malays” by the same.

With this classification, they MUST also include the Phillipinos, the Papua New Guineans, the Australian Aboroginies, as well as the Polynesian Aboroginies. These are of the Australo Melanesians who migrated out of Africa 60,000yrs ago.

Getting interesting? Read on...

"Malay" should also include the Taiwanese singer "Ah Mei" who is Alisan as her tribe are the anscestors of the "Malays". And finally, you will need to define the Southern Chinese (Southern Province) as Malay also, since they are from the same stock 6,000yrs ago.

Try calling the Bugis a "Malay". Interestingly, the Bugis, who predominantly live on Sulawesi are not even Indonesians. Neither do they fall into the same group as the migrating Southern Chinese of 6,000yrs ago nor the Australo Melanesian group from Africa.

Ready for this?

The Bugis are the cross-breed between the Chinese and the Arabs. (FYI, a runaway Ming Dynasty official whom Cheng Ho was sent to hunt down) Interestingly, the Bugis were career Pirates in the Johor-Riau Island areas. Now the nephew of Daeng Kemboja was appointed the First Sultan of Selangor. That makes the entire Selangor Sultanate part Arab, part Chinese! Try talking to the Bugis Museum curator near Kukup in Johor. Kukup is located near the most south-western tip of Johor. (Due south of Pontian Kechil)

Let's not even get into the Hang Tuah, Hang Jebat, Hang Kasturi, Hang Lekiu, and Hang Lekir, who shared the same family last name as the other super famous "Hang" family member... Hang Li Poh. And who was she? the princess of a Ming Dynasty Emperor who was sent to marry the Sultan of Malacca. Won't that make the entire Malacca Sultanate downline "Baba" ? Since the older son of the collapsed Malaccan Sultanate got killed in Johor, (the current Sultanate is the downline of the then, Bendahara) the only other son became the Sultan of Perak. Do we see any Chinese-ness in Raja Azlan? Is he the descendant of Hang Li Poh?

Next question. If the Baba’s are part Malay, why have they been marginalized by NOT BEING BUMIPUTERA? Which part of “Malay” are they not? Whatever the answer, why then are the Portugese of Malacca BUMIPUTERA? Did they not come 100yrs AFTER the arrival of the first Baba’s? Parameswara founded Malacca in 1411. The Portugese came in 1511, and the Dutch in the 1600’s. Strangely, the Baba’s were in fact once classified a Bumiputera, but a decided that they were strangely “declassified” in the 1960’s. WHY?

The Sultan of Kelantan had similar roots to the Pattani Kingdom making him of Thai origin. And what is this "coffee table book" by the Sultan of Perlis claiming to be the direct descendant of the prophet Muhammed? Somehow we see Prof Khoo Khay Khim’s signature name on the book. I’ll pay good money to own a copy of it myself. Anyone has a spare?

So, how many of you have met with orang Asli’s? the more northern you go, the more African they look. Why are they called Negrito’s? It is a Spanish word, from which directly transalates “mini Negros”. The more southern you go, the more “Indonesian” they look. And the ones who live at Cameron Highlands kinda look 50-50. You can see the Batek at Taman Negara, who really look like Eddie Murphy to a certain degree. Or the Negritos who live at the Thai border near Temenggor Lake (north Perak). The Mah Meri in Carrie Island look almost like the Jakuns in Endau Rompin. Half African, half Indonesian.

By definition, (this is super eye-opening) there was a Hindu Malay Empire in Kedah. Yes, I said right… The Malays were Hindu. It was, by the old name Langkasuka. Today known as Lembah Bujang. This Hindu Malay Empire was 2,000yrs old. Pre-dating Borrobudor AND Angkor Watt. Who came about around 500-600yrs later. Lembah Bujang was THE mighty trading empire, and its biggest influence was by the Indians who were here to help start it. By definition, this should make the Indians BUMIPUTERAS too since they were here 2,000yrs ago! Why are they marginalized?

Of the 3 books listed, "Contesting Malayness" (about S$32 for soft cover) is "banned” in Malaysia; you will need to "smuggle" it into Malaysia; for very obvious reasons.... or read it in Singapore if you don’t feel like breaking the law.

The other, "Kingdoms of the Indonesian Archipelago, and the Malay Peninsular" (about RM84) are openly sold at all leading bookshops; Kinokuniya, MPH, Borders, Popular, Times, etc. You should be able to find a fair bit of what I’ve been quoting in this book too, but mind you, it is very heavy reading material, and you will struggle through the initial 200+ pages. It is extremely technical in nature. Maybe that’s why it wasn’t banned (yet)…coz our authorities couldn’t make head or tail of it? (FYI, if I wasn’t doing research for my film, I wouldn’t have read it in its entirety)

While the "Sejarah Melayu" (about RM 35) is available at the University Malaya bookshop. I have both the English and Royal Malay version published by MBRAS.

Incidentally, the Professor (Author) was invited to speak on this very subject about 2 yrs ago, in KL, invited by the MBRAS. You can imagine the "chaos" this seminar created......

There were actually many sources for these findings. Any older Philippino Museum Journal also carries these migration stories. This migration is also on display at the Philippines National Museum in Luzon. However, they end with the Aeta, and only briefly mention that the migration continued to Indonesia and Malaysia, but fully acknowledge that all Philippinos came from Taiwan. And before Taiwan, China. There is another book (part of a series) called the "Archipelago Series" endorsed by Tun Mahatir and Marina Mohammad, which states the very same thing right at the introduction on page one. “… that the Malays migrated out of Southern China some 6,000yrs ago…”. I believe it is called the “Pre-History of Malaysia” Hard Cover, about RM99 found in (mostly) MPH. They also carry “Pre-History of Indonesia” by the same authors for the same price.

It is most interesting to note that our Museum officials invented brand new unheard-of terms such as "Proto-Malay" and "Deutero-Malay", to replace the accepted Scientific Term, Australo-Melanesians (African descent) and Austronesians (Chinese Descent, or Mongoloid to be precise) in keeping in line with creating this new “Malay” term.. They also created the new term called the Melayu-Polynesian. (Which Melayu exists in the Polynesian Islands?) Maybe they were just trying to be “Patriotic” and “Nationalistic”… who knows…? After all, we also invented the term, “Malaysian Time”. While the rest of the world calls it “Tardy” and “Late”. It’s quite an embarrassment actually…. Singaporeans crossing the border are asked to set their watches back by about 100yrs, to adjust to “Malaysian Time”…

In a nutshell, the British Colonial Masters, who, for lack of a better description, needed a “blanket” category for ease of classification, used the term “Malay”.

The only other logical explanation, which I have heard, was that “Malaya” came as a derivative of “Himalaya”, where at Langkasuka, or Lembah Bujang today was where the Indians were describing the locals as “Malai” which means “Hill People” in Tamil. This made perfect sense as the focal point at that time was at Gunung Jerai, and the entire Peninsular had a “Mountain Range” “Banjaran Titiwangsa”, as we call it.

The Mandarin and Cantonese accurately maintain the accurate pronunciation of “Malai Ren” and “Malai Yun” respectively till this very day. Where “ren” and “yun” both mean “peoples”.

Interestingly, “Kadar” and “Kidara”, Hindi and Sanskrit words accurately describe “Kedah” of today. They both mean “fertile Land for Rice cultivation. Again, a name given by the Indians 2,000yrs ago during the “Golden Hindu Era” for a duration of 1,500yrs.

It was during the “Golden Hindu Era” that the new term which the Hindu Malay leaders also adopted the titles, “Sultan” and “Raja”. The Malay Royalty were Hindu at that time, as all of Southeast Asia was under strong Indian influence, including Borrobudor, and Angkor Watt. Bali today still practices devout Hindu Beliefs. The snake amulet worn by the Sultans of today, The Royal Dias, and even the “Pelamin” for weddings are tell-tale signs of these strong Indian influences. So, it was NOT Parameswara who was the first Sultan in Malaya. Sultanage existed approximately 1,500years before he set foot on the Peninsular during the "Golden Hindu Era" of Malaysia. And they were all Hindu.

“PreHistory of Malaysia” also talks about the “Lost Kingdom” of the “Chi-Tu” where the local Malay Kingdom were Buddhists. The rest of the “Malays” were Animistic Pagans.

But you may say, "Sejarah Melayu" calls it "Melayu"? Yes, it does. Read it again; is it trying to describe the 200-odd population hamlet near Palembang by the name "Melayu"?(Google Earth will show this village).

By that same definition, then, the Achehnese should be considered a “race”. So should the Bugis and the Bataks, to be fair. Orang Acheh, Orang Bugis, Orang Laut, Orang Melayu now mean the same… descriptions of ethnic tribes, at best. And since the “Malays” of today are not all descendants of the “Melayu” kampung in Jambi (if I remember correctly), the term Melayu has been wrongly termed. From day one. Maybe this is why the Johoreans still call themselves either Bugis, or Javanese until today. So do the Achehnese on the West coast of Kedah & Perlis and the Kelantanese insist that they came from Champa, Vietnam.

Morover, the fact that the first 3 pages claiming that "Melayu" comes from Alexander the Great and the West Indian Princess doesn't help. More importantly, it was written in 1623. By then, the Indians had been calling the locals “Malai” for 1,500 yrs already. So the name stuck….

And with the Sejarah Melayu (The Malay Annals in page 1-3) naming the grandson of Iskandar Zulkarnain, and the West Indian Princess forming the Minangkabau. Whenever a Malay is asked about it, he usually says it is "Karut" (bullshit), but all Malayan based historians insist on using Sejarah Melayu as THE main reference book for which "Malay" history is based upon. The only other books are “Misa Melayu”, "Hikayat Merong Mahawangsa", and “Hikayat Hang Tuah” which is of another long and sometimes “heated” discussion.

I find this strange.

I also find, that it is strange that the "Chitti's" (Indian+Malay) of Malacca are categorized as Bumiputera, while their Baba brothers are not. Why? Both existed during the Parameswara days. Which part of the “Malay” side of the Baba’s is not good enough for Bumiputera classification? Re-instate them. They used to be Bumiputera pre 1960’s anyway.

Instead of "Malay", I believe that "Maphilindo" (circa 1963) would have been the closest in accurately trying to describe the Malays. However, going by that definition, it should most accurately be "MaphilindoThaiChinDiaVietWanGreekCamfrica". And it is because of this; even our University Malaya Anthropology professors cannot look at you in the eye and truthfully say that the word "Malay" technically and accurately defines a race.

This is most unfortunate.

So, in a nutshell, the “Malays” (anthropologists will disagree with this “race” definition) are TRULY ASIA !!! For once the Tourism Ministry got it right….

We should stop calling this country “Tanah Melayu” instead call it, “Tanah Truly Asia”

You must understand now, why I was "tickled pink" when I found out that the Visit Malaysia slogan for 2007 was "Truly Asia". They are so correct... (even though they missed out Greece and Africa)

BTW, the name UMNO should be changed to UTANO the new official acronym for “United Truly Asia National Organization” . After all, they started out as a Bugis club in Johor anyway….

I told you all that I hate race classifications…. This is so depressing. Even more depressing is that the "malays" are not even a race; not since day one."

“Truly Asia Boleh” charleshector
    py

Wednesday, 16 March 2011 14:25
    The Great Tanah Melayu Debate
    Written by Michael Chick

REPRINT We hear UMNO's cries for “Brain Gain”, caused by excruciating “Brain Drain”, in the wake of hundreds of thousands of Malaysians who are fleeing their country. We've heard the many alleged reasons provided from both sides of the fence. One of the strongest seems to be the fact that UMNO is asking all “pendatangs” to leave the country if they are not happy.

Well, Robert Kwok certainly did just that. And along with him, his entire businesses worth billions in “Tax Drain”. BTN has also been copiously assisting, by enthusiastically brainwashing simple minds into thinking that “Tanah Melayu” is reserved for Orang Melayu. Of course, they quickly tell you that anyone can become an Orang Melayu by speaking, dressing, and behaving like one (whatever that means, who knows?).

Well, UMNO managed to achieve one thing. The BTN-type morons, and their predecessors, have been overwhelmingly successful in brainwashing todays' 27 million citizens. Who says that the Peninsular was ALWAYS called “Tanah Melayu”? This is a recent British Term!! Let me dedicate this Article to the foremost “so-called reknown Historian” of the country. Prof Dr Emeritus Khoo Khay Khim (and anyone else who claims to be as competent in History as well).

Prior to “Tanah Melayu” being a British Tag in the 19th century, the peninsular was formerly known as Malacca in the 15th century. The newly-renamed book “Sejarah Melayu” (previously known as “Asal-Usul Raja-Raja”) mentions every other place from India to China, including the tiny-speck-of-dirt called Temasik EXCEPT “Tanah Melayu”. Why was Tanah Melayu NEVER MENTIONED in Sejarah Melayu? Simple!! Because that was not it's name!!

Tanah Melayu was NEVER the name until the British came and colonized the Peninsular.

(please see map below)

Since UMNO has a habit of believing that “whatever is older is better”, let's take a short walk down this slippery slope of history. (Also, BTN-Baru syllabus planners should start taking notes.)

For starters, “Malaya” in Tagalog means “Peaceful” (go ask your Pinoy maid).

“Malai” means “Hill” in Tamil; as in “mini-Himalaya” to describe the Titiwangsa Range on the said Peninsular since the 2nd century by the Gujerati Traders who helped the local Malays set up their formidable Hindu Empire at Lembah Bujang.
    ref: Prof Nik Hassan, Tom Harrison, and H.G Quatrich Wales

Only in the 19th Century was The Peninsular known as “Tanah Melayu”.

In the 15th Century, the Peninsular was known by no other name than “The Malacca Peninsular”.

Before “that Rebel-Indonesian Guy” came over here (look, he wanted to kill his own father; what else do you want me to call Parameswara?), the Peninsular was known as “Barr Kra” in the 10th Century. Before that, the Peninsular was known as the “Golden Chersonese” since the 2nd Century.

“Golden Chersonese is the ancient name to refer to the Malay Peninsula by Claudius Ptolemy or Claudius Ptolemaeus (Greek: Κλαύδιος Πτολεμαῖος; c. 90 – c. 168.). Known in English as Ptolemy, he was a Greek-speaking geographer, astronomer, and astrologer. During Roman times, the Malay Peninsula developed an international reputation as a source of gold; hence the name was given.”

By the way, “Barr” simply means “Land” in the Persian Language. And Barr Kra above, means “Land of Kra” (as in reference to the Isthmus of Kra).

But I've saved the best for last, as usual. And I hope all you soon-to-be “Brain Gain” people are sitting down reading this ....

The earliest known Arabic Maps refer to the Peninsular as “Barr CHIN”.

Where Chin refers to CHINA! Why did the Arabs call this Peninsular “Tanah China” instead of “Tanah Melayu”? When Prophet Muhammad s.a.w. spoke about “Exotic Tanah China”, was he actually refering to Malaya? After all, according to records, Malayan Gold Mines was already famous 500 years BEFORE the Prophet was born!! As his wife, Khadijah was a Great Trader. He must have known!

Footnote: Chin is spelt “Xin” by the Portuguese, but always pronounced as Chin.

Alright, it's now public!! The oldest known Arab Maps called the Peninsular “Barr Chin”; which translates to “Tanah China”, or “Land of Chinese”. BTN can now implement this new found knowledge into their syllabus. You cannot deny that you don't know it now! Perhaps if you spoke Hokkien, dressed like a Hokkien, and practised Hokkien Customs, the Hokkiens might be gracious enough to accept you. Sounds absurd? Absolutely; and so does the other “Great Race-Changing Trick” practised by UMNO. And I quote Prof Dr Anthony Milner (ANU), “If it's so easy to join a race, it must be equally easy to 'un-join' that race ...”

Alright, Prof Khoo, your turn now ...

This will be the first exercise in “Brain Gain” which UMNO is allegedly proposing, for the greater good of 1Malaysia; plus, I'll even give you a hint: (because I'm nice and assume that you actually really, really, really, don't know ....)

It's a Dark Green Hardcover Book about an inch thick; usually reserved for Academicians like yourself. So you won't find it in Popular, MPH, Wiki, Amazon or any Pasar Malam. I'm sure that Great Historians like yourself, have your own Jstor Account number.

Unfortunately, it's written in English, so UMNO people cannot possibly understand it; because, as they say it so eloquently, “...that English sounds like strange babbling ....” So be nice, Prof, and please translate it for them. And in my best Manglish, “Can translate or not? Please?”

Me? I'll take a nice stroll over to the Royal Netherlands Institute of Southeast Asian and Caribbean Studies here in Leiden, to read more on this .... I'd better put on a Jacket too, it's a little nippy today.

“Doei!!” Pronounced, 'do-we' in Dutch. Malaysia-Chronicle....

py

Visitors found this page by searching for:

malay history

who is malay

wali songo movie

history of malay

wali songo historyhistorical storywhat is malayssembilan wali songodefine malaychinese muslimmalay peoples historymalay definemah meri cultural villagebedugul highland mapnegrito proto.deuterowhat is melayuraja raja cholan penissong wali 9 asliMelaya balidemak 90demak combatدماك. جاوهthe malay historypelamin dayakmalay tribe whose life ancient history
SEO Blog