Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Proposal for "Elected" Local Government

Forcing Accountability

Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Forcing Accountability

The reoccurrence of landslides in Ulu Klang, Ampang, capped by the tragedy of Bukit Antarabangsa, is a compelling reason for the reintroduction of local government elections.

Amidst all the finger-pointing, justifying and spin-doctoring, one thing remains clear: that something is very wrong with the way the overseeing of hillside developments in that area, perhaps even other areas, is being managed. If it were otherwise, we would have not been seeing the scenarios we have since 1993 when Block 1, Highland Towers toppled.

...Which takes me to my point. Accountability and transparency needs to be forced on the system and a surefire method of doing this is by making administrators accountable through elections.
    If the Pakatan Rakyat needs a reason to crank up its efforts to deliver on the election promise it made to reintroduce local council elections, here it is.

MIS

http://malikimtiaz.blogspot.com/2008...ntability.html
    py

Selangor to have elected village chief

If we can have elections for village chiefs, why can't we have one for local councils? It is time for the DAP to fulfill their promise to us, which Lim Guan Eng describes as the third vote.

Selangor will also have elections for village chiefs this year
    By Lee Wei Lian

KUALA LUMPUR, Jan 2 — A day after controversial polls were conducted in Perak to elect a new village chief, the Selangor state government said today it plans to follow suit with similar local elections this year.

Ean Yong Hian Wah, the Selangor state executive councillor for new village development, says a pilot election for one new village will be held this year.

http://www.themalaysianinsider.com.m...iefs-this-year
    py

Local Govt Act 473

This is the Local Government Elections Act 1960 incorporating all amendments up to 1 Jan 2006. There is a Law in 1976 on Local Government abrogating the 1960 Act. Does anyone have it? Please post it online if you do.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    py

Re: Proposal for "Elected" Local Government

I believe you are referring to the Local Government Act, 1976. It doesn't abrogate the Local Government Elections Act, 1960 but it does empower for the cessation of local government elections (see § 15 of LGA 1976). It does specifically repeal the Local Council Ordinance, 1952 and the Local Government (Temporary Provisions) Act, 1973.

This development has to be seen together within the context of the Emergency (Essential Powers) Act, 1979. It retrospectively validated the continuation of the Emergency (Essential Powers) Act, 1964 and the Emergency (Suspension of Local Government Elections) Regulations, 1965. It is under the latter 2 legislations that obsolete regulations like the maintenance of a people's militia (ie. RELA) and the continued suspension of local government elections remain legal.

This same Act makes it a direct threat to the Pakatan states that punitive action could possibly be taken legally against them (including the suspension of the state constitution, ie - suspension of the State Assembly and the removal of the ruling party from power) should they attempt to introduce local government elections. The reason why such elections could be held for New Villages and Kampung Tersusun would be because these entities fall outside the jurisdiction of the Local Government Act, 1976.

The Emergency (Essential Powers) Act, 1979 can be found here in PDF:

http://www.agc.gov.my/agc/oth/Akta/V.../Act%20216.pdf

I have not found copies of the other 2 legislations online yet.

It is interesting to note that the first Prime Minister, Tunku Abdul Rahman, was quoted to have said this when debating for the passing of the Emergency (Suspension of Local Government Elections) Regulations in Parliament:

It is the aim of this Government to bring this state of emergency to an end as soon as and as quickly as possible, and no effort will be spared to bring this emergency to an end. So, it is my hope that members of all political parties will appreciate the need for the introduction of these new Regulations, i.e. the Emergency (Suspension of Local Government Elections) Regulations, 1965. The very moment peace is declared I can assure this House that the elections will be held. I ask Honourable Members and the people of this country to bear with the Government and to support the Government in this new move.

Official Report of the First Session of the Second House of Representatives
    Vol I, Number 47; Monday; 1st March, 1965
    I've shared some further thoughts on this shortly after the 2008 Elections here:

http://www.bobjots.org/2008/03/local...ally-possible/

but I will not re-post it. I don't wanna be accused of language yoga again

Chronologically, we can see the developments evolve this way:

• Local Council Ordinance, 1952
      - Paved the way for the first local government elections in Georgetown and Kuala Lumpur
    • Local Government Elections Act, 1960
      - Streamlined electoral procedures for local government elections
    • Emergency (Essential Powers) Act, 1964
      - Suspension of certain civil liberties due to the Confrontation
    • Emergency (Suspension of Local Government Elections) Regulations, 1965
      - Local Government elections and provisions of the Local Government Elections Act, 1960 suspended
    • Royal Commission of Inquiry on Local Authorities, 1965
      - Recommended restoration of local government elections after certain reforms were made to the process to reduce fraud and corruption
    • May 13 Incident, 1969
      - Convenient excuse/reason to suspend civil liberties further despite end of hostilities with Indonesia and the Phillippines
    • Cabinet Committee Report on Athi Nahappan Report, 1970
      - Endorsed report with minor changes. Findings ignored by Executive
    • Development Administration Unit Report and Recommendations
      - Proposed for the abolishment of local government elections as it was deemed inconsistent with new national objectives like the NEP and provided for "an over-democratized over-government at the local level". Recommendations accepted by Executive
    • Local Government (Temporary Provisions) Act, 1973
      - Reaffirmed suspension of local government elections and provided for interim administrative structures
    • Local Government Act, 1976
      - Formalised new local government structure and the continued suspension of local government elections without specifically repealing the Local Government Elections Act, 1960
    • Emergency (Essential Powers) Act, 1979
      - Provided legal proviso for LGA 1976 and other legislations/regulations suspending local government elections by retrospectively extending the provisions of the 1964 and 1965 Emergency legislations/regulations

Convoluted? Yes .. but absolutely necessary if one wants to understand the legal complexities and constraints surrounding something as "simple" as the restoration of local government elections.

Bob,

As far as I can tell, conducting an opinion poll as per my first posting side-steps a lot of the legalities. It can be an interim measure until there is a change in the ruling party from UMNO to PR. And I don't buy your concern about slippery slopes. Right now, we are ON a slippery slope to oblivion.
    py

Quote Originally Posted by Bob K
    I've shared some further thoughts on this shortly after the 2008 Elections here:

http://www.bobjots.org/2008/03/local...ally-possible/

but I will not re-post it. I don't wanna be accused of language yoga again
    Bob, I visited your site. How come you can write straight English there and yoga English here?
    py

rocky Guest

Quote Originally Posted by pywong
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob K
    My primary objection to this proposal would be disenfranchisement.
    Bob, If you can come up with a better proposal without having to go to the Federal Govt or the SPR, I am all ears. :)

We are tired of listening to excuses why it can't be done and hearing about the State Assembly passing a resolution demanding that the Federal Govt allow local govt elections. This is just a sandiwara.

We want action!
    Doing something is better than doing nothing. The PR folks have so many reasons why they can't do it. Even when some do it like in Perak, they say don't. I question the sincerity of PR on this matter.Once in power, they change different tunes. So PR, do something....we will see you next GE.

Quote Originally Posted by rocky
    Doing something is better than doing nothing. The PR folks have so many reasons why they can't do it. Even when some do it like in Perak, they say don't. I question the sincerity of PR on this matter.Once in power, they change different tunes. So PR, do something....we will see you next GE.
    Rocky, we can't wait until next GE. It is in the PR's own interest to do it immediately, although they are not bright enough to see it. So we have to knock their heads a bit. If that doesn't work, we may need a 2 x 4.

There are now stories about Excos, councillors and even JKP being bought over by big money. That is what I have warned about in the Rat Race. Human beings are constantly being driven by greed and when they are given unchecked power, they will tend to abuse it. That's why I proposed a consideration of the anti-racketeering Act (RICO) here.
    http://tindakmalaysia.com/tm_forums2...pic,315.0.html

Lots of work to do. Even if Anwar takes over the Federal Govt, he will need at least 15 years before we can see some meaningful results. Not easy to undo 51 years of UMNO damage. That's why it is important we have to see who are the people after Anwar. I doubt he will be interested to bear the burden of PM for 15 years.

It is important we temper our expectations with realism and identify what is possible short-term, propose the solutions, and what need long-term solutions. No point just shouting and ranting.

Identify the problems and propose the solutions!
    py

Can you explain this in English? Exactly how can we have local elections again?
    March 14th, 2008 at 10:30 am
    Bob K - The state government is empowered by the Local Government Act to ignore the Local Government Act
    March 14th, 2008 at 6:42 pm
    A new day in a new year. It's 2009, 20 years after peace treaties have been signed with our domestic Communist guerillas in 1989.
    I cant wait for the first Pakatan State to lead the way forward.
    Hmmm...which will be the first?
    Selangor, Perak, Penang, Kedah or Kelantan?

Better they get their act together and implement together!

Personally, I still would disagree with using ratepayers' rolls as the basis for conducting an opinion poll. Its too elitist (esp. the idea of multiple votes for people who hold multiple title deeds!!??) and its not like we do not have access to the last electoral roll used for the General Elections.

Whether we like it or not, and with or without elections, we will still have politicians taking up these positions. Anybody who opts to participate in this process is already a politician by definition and practice. Politics is not necessarily a four letter word.

Now having said the above, I agree that we need to start pushing for some positive development in the area of the development of a third vote. No doubt, there are a lot of interim problems at hand but that should be no excuse for paralysis in this area. The question would be - what is the first step and how do we pressure for this step to be taken.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Visitors found this page by searching for:

Explain 2 main proposals by the Athi Nahappan report which was rejected by the government.

athi nahappan royal commission

why proposal athi nahappan rejected by government malaysia

ng chak ngoon

proposal of athi nahappan