Thread: IS NAJIB FIT TO BE PM?

As Najib Threatens Legal Action, WSJ Says It Stands By Its Report On The PM

Published by Sadho Ram — 04 Aug 2015, 01:10 PM

"It's a significant story and we take it very seriously," said WSJ Hong Kong bureau chief Ken Brown on their expose on the Malaysian PM's involvement in the debt-laden 1MDB.

• RM2.6 billion worth of donations came from UMNO supporters, says Khairy

• [COLOR=rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.]Image via The Star

• The RM2.6 billion donation deposited into Prime Minister Najib Abdul Razak's private bank accounts came from Umno's supporters, said party Youth chief Khairy Jamaluddin.

"I was made to understand the contribution came from supporters and donors. We hold on to MACC's (Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission) statement that the donation came from donors and supporters," he told reporters.

Yesterday, MACC issued a statement claiming that investigations revealed the sum was from donation and not 1MDB funds.
        malaysiakini.com
      • 3 AUGUST: RM2.6 billion in Najib's account were from donations, not 1MDB funds

• [COLOR=rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.]Image via The Star[/COLOR]

• Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission’s (MACC) investigation over alleged RM2.6 billion channelled Najib's account showed that the money did not come from 1Malaysia Development Berhad (1MDB), instead it came from donations, said the anti-graft agency in a statement issued today. It also urged the public to avoid making any speculations until the investigation is completed.
        therakyatpost.com
      • "MACC’s investigation focused only on issue relating to SRC International and the channelling of RM2.6 billion into Najib’s account while the police were conducting investigations on 1MDB and Bank Negara Malaysia. Investigation on SRC International involving a fund of RM4 billion is still ongoing," MACC commission said in the statement.

The commission also touched on police investigations over its officers and besides promising full cooperation, MACC reiterated that none of its officers are involved in any ploy to topple the government.
        themalaymailonline.com
      • 23 JULY: WSJ will stand by its report that USD700 million (RM2.67 billion) was found in Najib's personal bank accounts

• Dow Jones & Company, the publisher for The Wall Street Journal (WSJ), confirmed today it has responded to the request for clarification from lawyers representing Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak and said that it will continue to stand by the accuracy of its reports. Without revealing details, a representative from Dow Jones said in an email that the firm issued its response yesterday.

Yes we responded to the lawyers’ letter yesterday and continue to stand by our reporting,” the Dow Jones spokesman said.
        themalaymailonline.com
      • There is little choice for Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak but to sue for defamation now that The Wall Street Journal (WSJ) has stood by its report. Lawyer Datuk Bastian Pius Vendargon said Najib's next step was to name the journalist and publisher, Dow Jones & Company, as defendants to kickstart his civil action for loss of reputation.

"I don't think it is necessary for Najib's lawyers to send a notice of demand to ask the publisher to retract the report and ask for an apology since they are firm on their stand," he said.
        themalaysianinsider.com
      • WSJ has yet to respond to Najib's legal letter regarding claims on 1MDB

• The Wall Street Journal has yet to respond to the legal letter sent by the prime minister's lawyers to state their stand on claims that US$700 million (RM2.6 billion) was channelled into Datuk Seri Najib Razak's personal accounts.

Lawyer Wan Azmir Wan Majid, speaking on behalf of legal firm Hafarizam Wan & Aisha Mubarak, said the firm had yet to receive a response to the letter sent to WSJ publisher, Dow Jones, on July 8, adding that the deadline ends today.
        themalaysianinsider.com
      • "If we don't receive anything by today, then Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak has a few legal options.

"Among them would be to sue or to issue a letter of demand to WSJ," Wan Azmir was quoted saying today.
        themalaymailonline.com
      • 15 JULY: Najib's lawyer says the WSJ article is confusing

• [COLOR=rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.]Image via The Star Online[/COLOR]
          Mohd Hafarizam Harun

• Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak's lead counsel Datuk Mohd Hafarizam bin Harun today defended his "confirmation letter" to Dow Jones, the publisher of The Wall Street Journal.

Hafarizam claimed that the letter was meant to get the international media giant to clarify its stand in a bid to provide better legal advice to the prime minister in future, failing which he said would constitute "professional negligence" on his part.
        mysinchew.com
      • The Wall Street Journal article was not clear on whether Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak was accused of taking funds from 1Malaysia Development Bhd (1MDB), said counsel Datuk Mohd Hafarizam Harun. Mohd Hafarizam, whose law firm is acting for the Prime Minister, said the article was "neither here or there".

"The article is not clear on whether they are alleging that the money is from 1MDB or not. Why we sent a letter of clarification is because we want the WSJ to tell us what their position is. Once that position has been taken, then it is easier for me to advise my client. Otherwise I will be bordering on conjecture. I would have to assume that they meant 1MDB or assume that they did not mean 1MDB."

"It would be rather difficult for me as a plaintiff to advise my client if I am not sure what their position is," he told reporters on Monday.
        thestar.com.my
      • Mohd Hafarizam said he had advised Najib that the WSJ article was unclear.

"Yes, my law firm can say whether the article is defamatory or not - but if I wrongly give advice, then I am also subject to professional negligence. The first two paragraphs of the article seem to suggest the money was from 1MDB, but then when you look further, they mention 'the source is not known'," he added.

He said his firm would seek Najib's instructions once WSJ stated its position on the matter.
        asiaone.com
      • So far, the lawyer said his firm, Mssrs Hafarizam Wan & Aisha Mubarak, had yet to receive any reply from the WSJ regarding their stand on the allegations in the their articles published on July 2 and 6.

The WSJ has until Tuesday (July 21) to reply to the letter, which was sent on July 8, he added.
        astroawani.com
      • 14 JULY: As 1MDB storm continues, Najib says, "Don't listen to nonsense, truth will emerge in the end"

• [COLOR=rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.]Image via Reuters[/COLOR]
          Malaysia's Prime Minister Najib Razak

• Prime Minister Najib Abdul Razak came out today asking the public not to believe allegations thrown at him and his family on social media. In a speech at a mosque in Kuala Lumpur tonight, Najib said the government will make sure the truth about all the allegations will be put forth, though he did not specify when.
        malaysiakini.com
      • "Don't listen to nonsense. There is too much nonsense on social media. Don't listen to it all. Not all of it is true. We will ensure that the truth will emerge in the end. If (they) say billions of ringgit from 1MDB have disappeared, listen to the Auditor-General's report and find out if it is true or not. I don't want to make any announcements, let him do it," Najib said in a speech after breaking fast at the Salahuddin Al-Ayubi mosque in Taman Melati, Kuala Lumpur.
        theedgemarkets.com
      • The embattled PM is feeling the heat over the expose by The Wall Street Journal which claims that US$700 million (RM 2.6 billion) was deposited into his personal bank accounts. 1MDB is at present under investigation by the the National Audit Department and the Parliament's Public Accounts Committee (PAC).
        malaysiakini.com
      • Najib's lawyers give WSJ 14 days to confirm allegations of "misappropriation"

• [COLOR=rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.]Image via Asia One[/COLOR]

• UMNO lawyers representing Datuk Seri Najib Razak will be sending a letter of confirmation to the Wall Street Journal (WSJ) instead of the usual letter of demand to confirm if it accused the Malaysian prime minister of misappropriating US$700 million it alleged was funnelled into his accounts from 1 Malaysia Development Bhd (1MDB).

“Letter to seek confirmation first. We want WSJ to state their stand on the source of money said to have been deposited into client’s personal account,” said lead counsel, Datuk Mohd Hafarizam Harun.
        themalaymailonline.com
      • In the letter addressed to WSJ's board of directors, Dow Jones and Company Inc, his lawyers gave WSJ 14 days to respond to the letter. In the press release accompanying the legal notice issued to WSJ, Najib's lawyers also outlined the steps needed to be taken before any conclusive legal action can proceed.

"Firstly, we have been instructed to identify the parties involved in the authorship, distribution and publishing. Secondly, another issue of concern is, jurisdictional issues of which the publication originates from United States of America and accessible worldwide."

"The third issue is to tackle all possible or plausible legal remedies of which our client shall be given advise on an action of defamation, further tortuous actions and remedies including any statutory violations by WSJ and related companies and (if any) conspirers."
        malaysiandigest.com

• [COLOR=rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.]Image via Malaysian Digest[/COLOR]
          Letter of Confirmation to WSJ
        • 8 JULY: PM Najib has indicated he may take legal action against the Wall Street Journal (WSJ) for its report alleging that RM2.6 billion of 1MDB's fund was funnelled into the PM's personal bank accounts

• [COLOR=rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.]Image via The Star Online[/COLOR]
          PM Najib Razak
        • 4 JULY: Najib's political secretary, Muhammad Khairun Aseh told Sinar Harian, a Malay daily, that the WSJ report was criminal defamation

• “The report was done with bad intention and based on unsubstantiated and dubious sources. We will take legal action,” he was quoted as saying by Sinar Harian.
        thestar.com.my
      • The PM has vehemently denied the WSJ allegation

• [COLOR=rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.]Image via The Malaysian Insider[/COLOR]
          Najib Razak denies taking funds from 1MDB, blaming Dr Mahathir Mohamad for orchestrating the attacks against him.

• "I have never taken funds for personal gain as alleged by my political opponents – whether from 1MDB, SRC International or other entities, as these companies have confirmed," he said in a statement late last night.

The prime minister then went on to accuse former premier Dr Mahathir Mohamad of perpetrating the allegations against him.

Mahathir has become a staunch critic of Najib's handling of the finance ministry-owned 1MDB which has accumulated a debt of RM41.8 billion.
        malaysiakini.com
      • Meanwhile, the WSJ is standing by its report that billions of ringgit were channelled into the personal bank accounts of PM Najib, saying that their investigation was based on solid documentation

• In an interview with CNBC, WSJ Hong Kong bureau chief Ken Brown said they had been very careful with the report, given the nature that it is against a country's leader.

"We are very careful and we believe the investigation and documents we have are solid and come from reliable investigation and not a political investigation."
        themalaysianinsider.com
      • WSJ’s Hong Kong bureau chief Ken Brown told US broadcaster CNBC’s Street Signs in an edited 2.43-minute phone interview uploaded last Thursday that its reports were based on documents that “had been shared with the Malaysian attorney-general, with others in the government so they’ve been seen by all and also the prime minister”.

Brown did not disclose how WSJ sighted the documents but stressed that his reporting team took a very serious view of the story that concerns the fate of Malaysia’s top leader and the huge sum of public money. He acknowledged that the ongoing national-level scrutiny of 1MDB’s accounts have turned into a “highly-politicised story”.
        themalaymailonline.com
      • "It's a significant story and we take it very seriously."

• "Any time you see the leader of a country has been […] at least the evidence showed money flowing into his personal accounts and tied to government deals, it is hugely dramatic," he said. Brown said the money trail ended at Najib's bank accounts and he did not know where the money subsequently went to.
        malaysiakini.com
      • When asked about the response from the Prime Minister's Office, Brown said it had merely stated that PM Najib had not taken any funds for personal use, The Malaysian Insider reported

• “And they are accusing their political opponents of coming up with this story to get him. And that is the same kind of stuff they said from our earlier story on 1MDB, the way the money the fund took in was used in the last election campaign by the prime minister, so the reaction been the same," Brown said of the response from the PMO.
        themalaysianinsider.com
      • Asked if WSJ knew where the source of the money was from and what it was used for, Brown said they "know what they know", adding that the money trail ended in the bank accounts with the Prime Ministers name on it

• “We know what we know. One batch of money came from a unit in the Finance Ministry and another batch came through a private bank affiliated to Abu Dhabi. Where the money went, we don’t know. The trail we have ends at bank accounts with the PM’s name on it,” he added.
        thestar.com.my
      • Meanwhile, a PKR lawmaker has called on AmBank to clarify if Najib does indeed have personal accounts with the bank as alleged by the WSJ in its report, in order to clear the PM's name

• PKR secretary-general Rafizi Ramli said only with the bank's clarification, could the people believe Najib, who has since denied the allegations in the WSJ article, which claimed that billions were channelled into his bank accounts.

"I am sure if Datuk Seri Najib Razak has nothing to hide, the best way to put a stop to the attacks on his credibility is to allow the bank (or any other bank in the country) to reveal every account that he had ever opened since becoming the prime minister in 2009," Rafizi said in a statement today. If it is proven that the account in AmBank, as revealed by WSJ and Sarawak Report, does not exist, then Datuk Seri Najib Razak can easily put a stop to this latest issue."
        themalaysianinsider.com
      • Read the facts from the WSJ and Sarawak Report's expose, here:

[/COLOR]
    py

Sarawak Report editor slams PM after arrest warrant issued

BY MELISSA CHI
    Published: August 4, 2015 08:31 PM GMT+8

SHARE THIS ARTICLE

Sarawak Report’s Clare Rewcastle Brown says by putting her on the global wanted list, Malaysia was only making itself out to be an international ‘basket case’. ― File picKUALA LUMPUR, Aug 4 — Sarawak Report’s (SR) Clare Rewcastle Brown lashed out tonight at Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak following reports here that police have obtained a warrant for her arrest, saying the move would tarnish Malaysia’s international reputation.

The London-based journalist also insisted that she had not committed any wrong to deserve such an arrest, saying “I am merely an investigative journalist who has been doing my job”.

“It’s as simple as that – no plot and no vested interest. The interest of the public is my motivation and duty,” she said in a statement.

“In this way Malaysia has just advertised internationally that it has become a basket case and the international media are currently beating a path to my door to hear my comments,” she told Malay Mail Online earlier in a separate comment.

“Under the circumstances, I am unlikely to be praising Najib Razak,” she added.

Earlier this evening, police confirmed that an arrest warrant has been obtained for Rewcastle-Brown, whose whistleblower site SR has been publishing exposés on the 1Malaysia Development Berhad (1MDB) controversy.

CID director Comm Datuk Seri Mohmad Salleh said the warrant, granted by a court here, is for offences under Sections 124B and 124I of the Penal Code. He added that Rewcastle-Brown will also be placed on the Aseanapol wanted list as well as the Interpol red notice.

Section 124B, which covers activities detrimental to parliamentary democracy, stipulates that those convicted under the law will be liable to a maximum prison term of 20 years.

Section 124I, on the other hand, states that “any person who, by word of mouth or in writing or in any newspaper, periodical, book, circular, or other printed publication or by any other means including electronic means spreads false reports or makes false statements likely to cause public alarm, shall be punished with imprisonment for a term which may extend to five years.”

The Sarawak-born Rewcastle-Brown has been accused of colluding with several opposition lawmakers here in a conspiracy to unseat Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak by using the 1MDB controversy.arrest
    py

In-fghting among the system operators. The worms are turning.

I will find those who ordered action on us, says MACC division chief

Published: 6 August 2015 12:45 AM

The Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission special operations division chief Datuk Bahri Mohamad Zain (2nd right) vows to find out who ordered the current spate of action being taken against MACC officials over the 1MDB probe. – The Malaysian Insider pic, August 6, 2015The Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) special operations division chief Datuk Bahri Mohamad Zain has vowed to find out who ordered the current spate of action being taken against MACC officials over the 1Malaysia Development Berhad (1MDB) probe, Malaysiakini reported today.

Bahri's division office was raided by the police today as the latter continue to breath down MACC's neck for alleged leaks in the 1MDB probe, with seven MACC officers having been called in for questioning to date.

"I will find the perpetrators who are ordering the arrests. By God, I will find the perpetrators till kingdom come," he was quoted as saying.

Two MACC officers have been arrested over the probe, though they have since been released.

"We do not have time to play politics as we are doing our job as entrusted by the public on what they expect us to do with regard to this investigation," he added.

"You may have (political) powers, but I have Allah," he told the news portal.

Bahri was among those who were questioned over the alleged leak, though he had insisted that MACC was not behind the leak.

He said that the division's probe on SRC International, a former 1MDB linked company, was being conducted "day and night".

He insisted that the police's actions, which also included a raid on a deputy public prosecutor's office three days ago, was "disturbing" MACC's investigations, and that it is in violation of Section 48 of the MACC Act. – August 5, 2015.
    py

Najib broke anti-graft law by accepting ‘donation’, says Ambiga

BY SHERIDAN MAHAVERA
    Published: 6 August 2015 9:08 AM

Datuk Ambiga Sreenevasan (centre) seen together with panellists Datuk Saifuddin Abdullah (in purple) and Lim Kit Siang and Tony Pua at the ‘Malaysia: Where do we go from here?’ forum in Kuala Lumpur. – The Malaysian Insider pic by Seth Akmal, August 6, 2015.Prominent lawyer Datuk Ambiga Sreenevasan has added to the chorus of voices who are saying that Umno could have broken anti-graft laws when it called the RM2.6 billion in Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak’s personal accounts a donation.
    Ambiga, who is former chairman of the Bar Council, said that under the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission Act (MACC) 2009, the definition of gratification in Section 50 of the act included donations.

The section stated that any form of gratification was presumed to have been corruptly received, unless proven otherwise, she said.

This meant that the burden was on the receiver of the money to disprove any element of corruption.

“They have made it worse for themselves when they used the term donation. This is a real red flag,” Ambiga told the audience at a forum titled “Malaysia: Where do we go from here?” in Kuala Lumpur last night.

The MACC has declared that RM2.6 billion which had been funnelled into Najib’s accounts was a donation and not money from 1Malaysia Development Bhd (1MDB).

The agency also confirmed that the donor is from the Middle East but did not name the source. However, it last night said it would be asking Najib to provide an explanation on the donation.

A picture of the audience at yesterday’s forum. – The Malaysian Insider pic by Seth Akmal, August 6, 2015.
    Yesterday, PKR secretary-general Rafizi Ramli said Najib should be investigated by the MACC for receiving the donation.

Rafizi cited Section 3 of the MACC act which stated that a public officer was not allowed to receive gratification in any form.

The meaning of "gratification" under the act also includes "donation" and "gift".

This comes as Najib’s supporters in Umno have said that the donation was justified on the grounds that the prime minister needed it to fund the ruling Barisan Nasional’s
    13th general election campaign in 2013.

Ambiga said if the funds were used for the polls, there may be grounds to take Barisan to court for using massive amounts of money to influence the election.

Another speaker at the forum, DAP publicity chief Tony Pua (pic, left), questioned whether Najib had sold out the country in exchange for the money.

“Why would a Middle Eastern donor give the Prime Minister RM2.6 billion for local elections? Was this money free? Najib won’t say.”

Pua also said there were double-standards in the notion of political parties receiving foreign donations. If it had been the DAP, he said the opposition party would be hounded and labelled as a traitor to the country.

“If we received even RM26,000 from Singapore we would be finished. We would be accused of being a foreign-funded traitor.” – August 6, 2015.
    py

Guess who’ll be at Bersih 4

BY RAMA RAMANATHAN
    Rama Ramanathan trained to be an engineer, retired as a global quality leader and now works to catalyse change in society. He blogs at write2rest.blogspot.com.

Published: 6 August 2015

In April this year, Paul Low, Minister for Integrity, told The Malaysian Insider that the issue of money politics is one of the biggest challenges he has to tackle.

Paul reminded everyone that in GE12 and GE13, voters considered corruption a key issue. He said no individual should be allowed to receive political funding and that funds must instead go to parties, to assure accountability

Paul didn’t mention 1MDB, but he’ll probably agree with me that 1MDB is just another scandal in a chain which includes Tinju Dunia, Bank Bumiputra Finance, tin price speculation, currency
    speculation, Perwaja steel, PKFZ, Malaysia Airlines and so on.

Paul spoke to The Malaysian Insider three months before the Wall Street Journal (WSJ) alleged that RM2.6 billion was paid into Najib’s personal account prior to GE13.

One month has passed since the WSJ made the allegation. No one has denied that the money went into Najib Razak’s personal account.

The Malaysian Anti-Corruption Agency (MACC) is alleged to have said the money is a “mere” donation. I say “alleged to have said” because after reviewing the statement on the MACC’s website I am not convinced it was approved by Tan Sri Abu Kassim, Chief Commissioner of the MACC.

The MACC, Bank Negara, the police and the Attorney Generals Chambers have not said where the money came from. Neither have they said where it was transferred to.

Umno propagandists ranging from newly minted minister Azalina through to newly minted propaganda chief Rahman Dahlan and the mercenary Khairy Jamaludin – all of whom are members of the Cabinet – have claimed the money which went into the Prime Ministers account was “donations” for Umno.

Despite their claims, MACC HAS NOT said the money was “donations for Umno.” Indeed, it appears Abu Kassim has not said a single word about the RM2.6 billion.

I am alarmed by the silence of Abu Kassim. I find it incredible that he hasn’t stood up to speak for the MACC at a time when those associated with MACC are being harassed, investigated and detained by the police.

What kind of leader would abandon his people when they are being assailed? (The same can be said about the erstwhile Attorney General, Tan Sri Gani Patail).

I cannot think of MACC without thinking of the needless death of Teoh Beng Hock.

Therefore, sympathy for the MACC does not come naturally for me. Yet, I am concerned about Abu Kassim and others in MACC.

My concern is exacerbated by reports that yesterday MACC called its Muslim members to gather and ask Allah to assure a good future for MACC officers and their families; to keep them from corruption, and to make them successful in eliminating corruption.

Their prayer session reminded me of how people become godly on their deathbeds.

What’s the future of MACC? What’s dying in MACC? Is it the last shreds of integrity?

The MACC and the government of Malaysia are now the subjects of uniform, unabated derision.

MACC is derided because of the statement it allegedly issued. The statement is so poorly constructed that it is clear Abu Kassim did not approve it – those of us who have met him know he would never have let it pass.

The Cabinet is derided because the 2.6 billion is claimed to have been for Umno, despite the fact that there is every reason to believe Umno Supreme Council members did not know anything about it until Sarawak Report and the WSJ reported it.

The pronouncements of the Cabinet members about the RM2.6 billion show the government has no intention of addressing corruption in the nation, and every intention of treating the people as idiots.

Only idiotic citizens would believe anyone would give RM2.6 billion to the Prime Minister without expecting something in return.

Only idiotic businessmen would think brushing off of the RM2.6 billion is not an encouragement to buy favours from the government.

The nation is now divided between those who agree the RM2.6 billion transaction is a wrongdoing, and those who disagree; between those who agree institutional reforms are needed and those who don’t; between those who will stand up for integrity and those who won’t.

Bersih 4 has been announced. It’s a rally of the people in Kuala Lumpur, Kuching and Kota Kinabalu, beginning at 2 pm on 29 August. At Bersih 4 we can vote with our feet for integrity and institutional reform in our nation. I guess many children and relatives of officers of MACC and the AG’s Chambers will attend. – August 6, 2015

* This is the personal opinion of the writer or publication and does not necessarily represent the views of The Malaysian Insider.
    py

No hidden hands in police probe into MACC, says deputy IGP

BY MUZLIZA MUSTAFA
    Published: 6 August 2015 2:47 PM

Datuk Seri Noor Rashid Ibrahim denies allegations of hidden hands in the police probe into MACC. – The Malaysian Insider pic by Najjua Zulkefli, August 6, 2015.Police today denied allegations that there were "hidden hands" behind the high-handed action against Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) officers as the probe intensified to find the source of the 1Malaysia Development Berhad (1MDB) investigation leak.

Deputy Inspector-General of Police Datuk Seri Noor Rashid Ibrahim said police are not “attacking” MACC, but merely carrying out its duty under the law.

Noor Rashid was commenting on the spate of arrests of MACC officers in the past one week.

He said not only MACC is being investigated, but they will also call in Bank Negara Malaysia officials if investigations require them to do so.

"At the moment, our investigation is focused on MACC. There are no hidden hands behind our action. It is our prerogative," said Noor Rashid.

He said the information leak was not only on the draft of the charge sheet against Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak but also on the leak of personal banking information which was against the Banking and Financial Institutions Act 1989.

"As investigators, we are entrusted with important documents that we should keep closely and confidentially. The leakage of the banking information is against the law."

He said the person responsible for this leak cannot be protected under the WhistleBlower Act.

"You are only protected if you leak the information to the authorities," Noor Rashid said.

On August 3, police visited the MACC office in Putrajaya where they questioned Datuk Bahri Mohamad Zin who is the commission's director of special operations.

Two others – MACC forensics division head Datuk I. G. Chandran and its senior assistant commissioner Tuan Ruslan Tuan Mat – were also questioned on the same day.

Prior to that, police detained Attorney-General's Chambers officer Jessica Gurmeet Kaur and former anti-graft agency adviser Tan Sri Rashpal Singh for questioning.

This was followed by the raid at the office of MACC deputy public prosecutor Ahmad Sazilee Abdul Khairy, where police also seized several documents.

Bahri had said then that police will not do this "mad" thing if they were not "forced" to, hinting that there were hidden hands behind the police action.

Police continued their operations yesterday when they called in another three senior MACC officials for questioning.

MACC special operations deputy director Datuk Tan Kang Sai was questioned for more than three hours at the Putrajaya police headquarters.

Tan was summoned for the first time, while the other two officers, whose identities are unknown, were summoned for a second time.

It is believed that all of them are being investigated under Section 124B of the Penal Code for activities detrimental to parliamentary democracy.

Police had said they will investigate members of the special task force handling the probe into 1MDB, after the Attorney-General's Chambers on July 8 said that information leaks on the matter were a "criminal act of leaking classified documents to foreign nationals". – August 6, 2015.
    py

Thursday, 06 August 2015 14:45DON'T KILL THE RINGGIT: Be transparent if you want to probe or arrest Zeti, Wong Chen tells cops

The PKR trade and investment bureau has urged the police to ensure full transparency in the event that they decide to investigate Bank Negara governor Zeti Akhtar Aziz.

Bureau chairperson Wong Chen said Zeti is well-respected in the international financial community as a good and pro-active central banker, and any action against her that is perceived to be politically motivated would be detrimental to the already-weakened ringgit.

“The ringgit is weak. You don’t want to create an international problem if you arrest Zeti for investigation, and not do this in a proper manner.

“We are not saying that the police cannot investigate her. We are also not saying that the police cannot arrest her. We are saying that the due process must be done, with full transparency on the reason why she is being arrested.

“On the blogs, there are a lot of stories about Zeti coming out. I don’t give much credence to these, but if they want to investigate Zeti, please be transparent about it,” Wong told a press conference in Petaling Jaya today.

The ringgit is currently trading at RM3.89 to the US dollar, which is a 16-year low. It has been on the decline since September last year.

The police are currently investigating several Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) officers under Section 124B of the Penal Code, which deals with activities detrimental to parliamentary democracy.

The investigation is in relation to purportedly leaked information about investigations on Prime Minister Najib Abdul Razak and the state investment fund 1MDB.

Toppling Najib or refusing to cover up for Najib's 1MDB debacle

Some blogs have named Zeti as well as several high-ranking officers from Bank Negara, MACC and the Attorney-General’s Chambers as among those conspiring to topple Najib.

MACC and Bank Negara have denied this, but the police are not ruling out questioning Zeti.

"We'll see. Questioning those whom we believe can shed light on an investigation is part of the procedure," Inspector-General of Police Khalid Abu Bakar told Malaysiakini when asked on Monday.

Police must declare basis for investigating Zeti

Wong - who is also the Kelana Jaya MP - said if the police were to investigate Zeti, they must declare ‘with no uncertainty’ the basis for investigating her, under what law, and whether it is linked to the alleged plot to depose Najib.

“If no transparency and due process is afforded, the market will view this as a politically-motivated action. This will send all the wrong messages to the world and will further negatively impact the ringgit,” he said.

Meanwhile, PKR trade and investment bureau director Fahmi Ngah urged the government to take “urgent and decisive” action on 1MDB to restore investors’ confidence.

“Delays and cover-up attempts will only continue to tarnish our country’s reputation as a vibrant economy and safe haven for investors.

“If this country is really controlled by one person, then that same person should mobilise the country’s resources to resolve the on-going confidence crisis, if only he truly cares,” Fahmi said.
    Among others, he said, those investigating 1MDB should be allowed to complete their tasks impartially and without interference.

Zeti

Wong added that a national economic action council may have to be formed as well, as was done during the 1998 financial crisis.
    The council would need to share financial data, and weigh the pros and cons of possible actions such as imposing capital controls or raising interest rates.
    If the ringgit reaches the RM4 to the dollar mark, Fahmi said, Najib should resign for not doing his job.
    He added that although the slump of the ringgit is often attributed to the strengthening US dollar and falling crude oil prices, these factors alone do not explain the phenomena because they impact other countries as well.
    “Why is it that our currency depreciates more than other currencies? I think there is a third additional factor, which is pure and simple – it is the 1MDB fiasco. That is unique to Malaysia,” Fahmi said.
    He said that although many analysts have given their assurance that the Malaysian economy has strong fundamentals and the ringgit is undervalued, the value of the ringgit kept plummeting as investors took their money out of the country.
    This shows that the 1MDB scandal has undermined investor confidence on how Malaysia’s economy is managed, he added. - M'kini

py

Cakap tak serupa bikin.

A video of Najib where he stated that any donations must be channelled to the official bank account of political parties instead of any individual politicians to prevent corruption. Speech was given on 26 Feb 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7LLJ0-o1lo&sns=em
    py

Once enemies, now DAP and MACC join hands in 1MDB controversy

BY KAMLES KUMAR

Lim Kit Siang with MACC strategic communications director Rohaizad Yaakob (centre) and other opposition leaders at the MACC Office in Putrajaya, August 6, 2015. — Picture by Yusof Mat IsaPUTRAJAYA, Aug 6 — In a completely unexpected turn of events, DAP leader Lim Kit Siang shook hands with a top Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) official today to show the opposition’s solidarity with the beleaguered anti-graft agency that is under investigation over its probe on 1Malaysia Development Berhad, a far cry from the days when the DAP used to slam the MACC over the death of political aide Teoh Beng Hock.
    The DAP led opposition leaders, including PKR president Datuk Seri Dr Wan Azizah Wan Ismail and Harapan Baru chief Mohamad Sabu, to gather at the MACC office in Putrajaya today to show support for the agency, whose officers have been questioned by the police and their homes and offices raided on suspicion of leaking documents in its investigation on the state-owned fund.

“This situation of police harassing MACC must stop,” Lim said in a press conference outside MACC’s office after the group met MACC strategic communications director Rohaizad Yaakob.

Rohaizad said the MACC was “grateful for the support shown” by the opposition leaders as well as the people and will “continue to do our best work”.
    Not a single lawmaker from the ruling Barisan Nasional was present at the gathering.

Lim, who is Gelang Patah MP, reminded government agencies to stop going after each other and to focus on doing their jobs instead without “fear and favour”.

“We should not carry out activities as if suspecting each other as traitors, MACC should be allowed to carry out its anti corruption duty,” he said.

PKR secretary-general Rafizi Ramli, who was also present, urged the public to continue to lodge reports with the MACC on donations to Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak after the anti-graft agency said yesterday that the RM2.6 billion donation to the prime minister came from the Middle East, without specifying who the donors were.

“The MACC is not just get getting pressured but is being disturbed in their investigations. The people have to give a clear message to Najib, we ask for the public to lodge reports on the donations to MACC,” said Rafizi.

“Now PM has claimed that the balance in his accounts is from a ‘donor’. MACC is empowered by the Act to investigate as the donation is considered a form of gratification. The law is clear that if assumed the gratification is corrupt you can be punished by the law,” he added, referring to the agency’s 2009 Act.

Mohamad, or better known as Mat Sabu, urged Najib to take a leave of absence as the events which transpired in the past few days have shaped a negative perception of his administration and the authorities.

“We don’t want the allegations to continue that MACC has no power. What happened in the past few days have solidified allegations that the authorities can be influenced. There should no be no interference on MACC’s duties from other institutions; it should be left to do its job,” he told reporters.

The MACC special operations divisions’ office was raided by the police last night and two of their officers, who were among the three taken in for questioning earlier yesterday afternoon at the Putrajaya police district headquarters, have been arrested.

The duo’s office in Precinct 3, Putrajaya, and their homes were raided by the police, confirmed MACC deputy chief commissioner (prevention) Datuk Mustafar Ali.
    py

Thursday, August 6, 2015

On the matter of the US$ 681 million donation to Prime Minister Najib Razak: Sender did not describe payment as a donation

by Ganesh Sahathevan
    The Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak has said that someone has sent him a donation of US$ 681 million, via Wells Fargo Bank of New York, using a BVI company (since liquidated) called Tanore Finance. That company was a client of Falcon Private Bank Of Singapore, which was the ordering institution for that wire transfer.

The Wall Street Journal which broke the story of that massive "donation" hasplaced on-line the relevant documents.

Readers are referred to pages 2 and 3 of the documents,and to the items marked 70-Remittance Information.
    Curiously the transfers (the sum total was paid in two amounts) are described as "Payment" and not " Donation".
    This is not a matter of mere semantics.In these days of heightened controls on the transfer of funds, given the fear of terrorist financing, descriptions are important , even for very small sums. In this case where that large amount of money was being transferred to an individual the description becomes even more important.

Readers may also be interested in item 71A Details o Charges
    "SHA" means charges are shared and it is again curious that such a generous donor would want the recipient to share in the charges for the transfer.
    A PDF copy of the documents may be sighted at :
    https://s3.amazonaws.com/s3.document...-documents.pdf

py

Page 28 of 36 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021222324252627282930313233343536 LastLast

Visitors found this page by searching for:

MOHD DARUIS BIN ZAINUDDIN

logo mampupowered by vBulletin culture of the mohican tribesalaries in gold pacaba earned more than graduatediamond building putrajaya floor viewnajib daughter engagementpowered by vBulletin mandatory compliance training bank financial institutioncimb staff id cardsnajib has lost the plotmalaysia agung 2012@yahoo.com.my@gmail.com.my@hotmail.com.mynajib laptop 1malaysiaNurul Mokhtar @hotmail.comits true that Najib will no longer be PM even Barisan the 13th electionmalaysia citizen yellow page email address@yahoo.com gmail.comhotmail.commohd daruis zainuddinmahathirs soneffects of gerrymandering election resultsnajid razakTricubes menara great easternmahathir bin mohamad@yahoo.com@hotmail.comgmail.comnajid watchdato sri mohd najib@yahoo.com.my @hotmail.com.my @gmail.comnajib waste moneypakatan@yahoo.com @yahoo.com.my @gmail.com @hotmail.comwhat new politic angle on najib perspective
SEO Blog