Thread: BERSIH 3.0: Tunku speaks up against the violence

BERSIH 3.0: Tunku speaks up against the violence

U must not oppose (acronym: UMNO)

NO HOLDS BARRED

Monday, 07 May 2012
    Super Admin

Opposition Leader Lim Kit Siang said that the parliamentary culture of allowing MPs to reflect the people's views without having to toe a party line is still "very superficial if not alien in Malaysia”. This 'Big Brother' rule for BN back-bench criticism of ministers was broken yesterday, and this explained the strong adverse reaction to the MIC position in Parliament and the 'high drama' over my emergency motion on the MMC derecognition of CSMU medical degrees.

NO HOLDS BARRED

Raja Petra Kamarudin

Below are three news items running into four pages from 2005, 2007, and today, totalling more than 1,200 words. I know many of you do not like reading anything longer than 100 words. Hence maybe I can bring your attention to just this part:

Works Minister S Samy Vellu, contacted by reporters in Parliament today, refused to comment. Samy, who is MIC chief, had earlier described the MMC decision as a move to prevent more Indians from becoming doctors.

Opposition Leader Lim Kit Siang (DAP-Ipoh Timur) said that the parliamentary culture of allowing MPs to reflect the people's views without having to toe a party line is still "very superficial if not alien in Malaysia".

"This 'Big Brother' rule for BN back-bench criticism of ministers was broken yesterday, and this explained the strong adverse reaction to the MIC position in Parliament and the 'high drama' over my emergency motion on the MMC derecognition of CSMU medical degrees," he added.

Okay, that was what was reported seven years ago back in 2005. And that was just 115 words in three paragraphs, so I hope you have not only read it but digested it as well.

The reason I am raising this issue is because of what many of you posted in the comments section under the few news items regarding Senator Tunku Abdul Aziz Tunku Ibrahim, the DAP Vice Chairman who became a member of the party in 2008. Most of the comments were downright nasty and certainly not in the spirit of freedom of thought and freedom of expression, something which we have been fighting for and one of the reasons we are opposing Umno and Barisan Nasional.

Where is the spirit of agreeing to disagree? Where is the spirit of I may disagree with you but I will defend to the death your right to express what you believe in? And where do we draw the line as far as freedom of thought and expression are concerned?

The government does not allow us to assemble on Dataran Merdeka and for this we are very angry. We argue that it is our right to assemble on Dataran Merdeka. After all, Dataran Merdeka belongs to the rakyat. So, as rakyat, we have a right to assemble there.

Yes, it is about rights. Our right as rakyat. Our right to assemble where we want. Our right to express ourselves wherever we want, even on Dataran Merdeka.

Rights! Rights! Rights!

But we have no right to express ourselves if that opinion runs contra to the party stand. We must toe the party line. We must not express any independent thinking. If we want to contradict the party, then we must leave the party. Sack Tunku Abdul Aziz, most of you say. Tunku Abdul Aziz must resign from his post as Senator, most of you scream.

The three paragraphs above were about the Opposition Leader, Lim Kit Siang, coming to the defence of a Barisan Nasional (MIC) Deputy Minister who was suspended for not toeing the party line. The Barisan Nasional Deputy Minister, S Sothinathan, who was also the MIC secretary-general, was defending this issue:

The withdrawal of recognition by state agency, the Malaysian Medical Council, has affected about 1,400 Malaysian students who are currently studying at the university - the oldest and leading medical university in Ukraine.

The non-recognition resulted in the students, who are mostly Indian Malaysians, not being able to practice as doctors upon graduation, but will have to sit for an additional medical qualifying examination under the MMC.

Isn’t this what movements like Hindraf are fighting for? And should Sothinathan have been suspended for not toeing the party line when he was only defending the interests of 1,400 Malaysian students, mostly Indians?

So where do we draw the line? When can someone ‘break ranks’ and when must he or she ‘toe the party line’? Or should every Malaysian -- even if he or she is a party leader, Minister, Member of Parliament, Senator, or whatever -- be allowed freedom of thought and freedom of expression?

The whacking that many Malaysia Today readers have been giving Tunku Abdul Aziz over the last two weeks demonstrates the lack of tolerance for people who have opposing thoughts and for people who express opinions that differ from theirs.

And is this not what Umno and Barisan Nasional is all about? And is this not why we oppose Umno and Barisan Nasional? And is this not why we say that Umno is the acronym for ‘U must not oppose’?

Just because someone disagrees with you it does not mean that he or she is an Umno mole or traitor or turncoat or whatever. I whack Muslims. I say that Muslims are Islam’s worst enemies. I allege that the conduct of Muslims not only shames Islam but also gives Islam a negative image.

Does that make me a Christian mole? Am I a Trojan horse of the Christians? Is my hidden agenda to promote Christianity and to destroy Islam? Am I part of the conspiracy to get Muslims to leave Islam and become Christians?

If not, then why am I criticising Muslims? As a Muslim I should instead be saying all sorts of nasty things about Christianity and expose the evil plot of the Christians who are trying to mislead Muslims and get them to convert to Christianity.

Hmmm…now that’s a good idea. Maybe I should do just that to prove to the Muslims that I am a true Muslim who upholds Islam and who will never allow the enemies of Islam to damage Islam and mislead Muslims.

(The Star, May 2012)) - The DAP disciplinary board wants Senator Tunku Abdul Aziz Tunku Ibrahim to confirm if he has repeated his public criticism of Bersih 3.0 although he was rebuked earlier by the party leadership over the matter.

“I am trying to locate Tunku (Aziz) for the statement,” the board's chairman Tan Kok Wai told a news portal yesterday.

Kota Alam Shah assemblyman M. Manoharan called for disciplinary action to be taken against Tunku Aziz, who is party vice-chairman, over his remarks on the rally.

Manoharan accused Tunku Aziz for failing to toe the party's line by making the remarks, which he said were tantamount to a “double misconduct”.

“It is my personal view that severe action should be taken against him. He seems to be a great embarrassment to the party.

“It is the police and not the public that should be blamed. The public have a right to voice out (their feelings),” he said yesterday.

He called on Tunku Aziz to leave the party on his own accord, claiming that the latter did not understand the party leaders' struggles, especially those who were held under the Internal Security Act.

Tunku Aziz had spoken out against the rally before it was held on April 28, fearing that it might turn violent.

Expressing sadness over the violence that did occur, Tunku Aziz recently remarked that the Bersih 3.0 organisers should have realised that while there were those who were genuinely fighting for electoral reforms, others were out to create havoc or hijack the rally for their political agenda.

He added that it was unfair for Bersih leaders and politicians to solely blame police for the violence between protesters and police.

Tunku Aziz reportedly said Bersih 3.0 organisers were not “angels descended from heaven” who were blameless, adding that they should look at themselves before pointing at police for last Saturday's violence.

When contacted yesterday, Tunku Aziz said he was not upset with Manoharan as he was entitled to his personal view.

(The Star, 2007) - Cameron Highlands MP K. Devamany has been let off without a suspension or warning over his remark in Parliament recently.

Devamany had a 20-minute meeting with Barisan Nasional Chief Whip and Deputy Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak yesterday morning to explain himself.

The MIC backbencher told a press conference at the Parliament lobby that he had told Najib that he regretted his statement.

He, however, declined to say whether he was sorry over what he said when pushed further by reporters.

Devamany was said to have broken ranks with the ruling coalition over his remark in Parliament last Monday.

He had said the fact that 50,000 people showed up at the Nov 25 Hindraf protest showed the Government’s failure in distributing wealth equally.

His remark irked some Barisan backbenchers who felt he should have used proper channels but Devamany, who received support from the MIC top brass, maintained that he was only speaking up for the Indian community.

Devamany thanked Najib for meeting him and said he explained to the Chief Whip the concerns of the Indian community.

“He was very nice to me. I told him I regretted the statement. He advised me on what happened.

“I truly believe that unity, peace and stability is paramount in the country and cannot be compromised,” he said.

Devamany said Najib had expressed concern over the plight of the Indian community, which would be addressed by the Government and MIC through the Barisan Nasional spirit.

“He (Najib) has assured him that he would look into legitimate concerns of the Indian community,” he added.

Devamany said he would still speak up in the House but would be more responsible and not just throw words around.

“I fully support Barisan Nasional and the party leadership. That cannot be questioned,” he added.

Also at the press conference was Minister in the Prime Minister’s Department and Deputy Chief Whip Datuk Seri Nazri Aziz, who confirmed that no suspension or warning had been given to Devamany.

(Malaysiakini, 2005) - MIC secretary-general S Sothinathan has been suspended as a deputy minister for three months over his remarks at yesterday's parliamentary debate on the Crimea State Medical University (CSMU) issue.

The unprecedented decision was made at a cabinet meeting today. Prime Minister Abdullah Ahmad Badawi said that the suspension was because Sothinathan had breached BN party discipline.

"We made a decision to suspend him with immediate effect for what he did in parliament," Abdullah told a press conference.

"He's a member of the front bench, he should not have taken a stand like he did, criticising is own government. It is certainly a breach of party discipline," he said.

Sothinathan, who is deputy minister for natural resources and environment, could not be reached for his reaction on the suspension.

Yesterday, Sothinathan irked Barisan Nasional backbenchers when he broke ranks and interrupted Deputy Health Minister Dr Abdul Latiff Ahmad over a point raised in explaining the decision to withdraw recognition for Ukraine-based CSMU.

The withdrawal of recognition by state agency, the Malaysian Medical Council, has affected about 1,400 Malaysian students who are currently studying at the university - the oldest and leading medical university in Ukraine.

The non-recognition resulted in the students, who are mostly Indian Malaysians, not being able to practice as doctors upon graduation, but will have to sit for an additional medical qualifying examination under the MMC.

Latiff told Parliament during a heated debate yesterday that the decision was made to maintain the quality of our doctors, and stressed that it had "nothing to do with race, ethnicity and religion".

He said the number of Malaysian students in CSMU had increased from 53 to 1,366 in May this year.

According to Latiff, unqualified CSMU students, including those who failed their Sijil Pelajaran Malaysia, had obtained no-objection letters from the Higher Education Ministry to enable them to enrol in the university.

Samy: No comment

Sothinathan, who was agitated by Latiff's remarks that the majority of those who graduated from unrecognised universities were Indians, had pressed the deputy health minister on how the Higher Education Ministry could have issued no-objection letters to unqualified students.

He also asked why one community was being single out when the problem of unrecognised medical graduates involves all communities in Malaysia.

"If MMC is indeed professional, how come it recognised CSMU in 2001? Why did it make a decision in haste?" he asked.

The debate, which was sparked by an emergency motion moved by the opposition DAP, saw the blurring of party affiliations with DAP and MIC MPs exchanging barbs with Umno MPs over the issue.

Works Minister S Samy Vellu, contacted by reporters in Parliament today, refused to comment.

Samy, who is MIC chief, had earlier described the MMC decision as a move to prevent more Indians from becoming doctors.

Opposition Leader Lim Kit Siang (DAP-Ipoh Timur) said that the parliamentary culture of allowing MPs to reflect the people's views without having to toe a party line is still "very superficial if not alien in Malaysia".

"This 'Big Brother' rule for BN back-bench criticism of ministers was broken yesterday, and this explained the strong adverse reaction to the MIC position in Parliament and the 'high drama' over my emergency motion on the MMC derecognition of CSMU medical degrees," he added.
    py

Dear Tunku Abdul Aziz Tunku Ibrahim

NO HOLDS BARRED

Monday, 07 May 2012 Super Admin

http://www.malaysia-today.net/mtcolu...-tunku-ibrahim

I started this piece by laying out your track record to remind all of us that you have contributed immensely to the nation. However, that one slip, if I may be permitted to call it that, is going to tarnish everything that you have done. Malaysians will never remember the 1,000 good things that you did. They will only remember the one thing that you did, which they do not agree with.

NO HOLDS BARRED

Raja Petra Kamarudin

Dear Tunku, in 1998, you helped found Transparency International-Malaysia, the local chapter of Transparency International (TI), and soon after that you were elected the vice chairman of TI's Board of Directors, a position you held until October 2002.

No one can deny the role you played in fighting corruption and in promoting good governance in the Asia region, including propagating corporate governance, something severely lacking in Malaysia. Being a member of the Kedah Royal Family, that also links you to His Majesty the Agong, although you may be not that closely linked to the ruling family.

You served as a member of the World Bank High Level Advisory Group on Anti-Corruption in the East Asia and Pacific Region, the Asia Pacific Advisory Panel on Good Urban Governance, the Board of the International Institute of Public Ethics, and the United Nations Development Programme Advisory Panel for the 2002 Human Development Report.

From February 2006 to January 2007, you served in New York as special advisor to the Secretary General of the United Nations, Kofi Annan. During your tenure, you set up the UN Ethics Office.

These are certainly most impressive credentials by any standards and it is no wonder that DAP not only wanted you as its member but immediately appointed you as the party Vice Chairman on top of that.

I must admit, though, that I was quite puzzled as to why you decided in 2008 to become politically active. For 14 years you had fought for the same thing that we are fighting for. And, just like many of us, you chose to fight outside the political arena rather than within it. Then you went and became a politician.

Knowing your background and understanding how you think, I suspected that you may not have the political culture required to become a good politician, although how one would define ‘good’ is another matter altogether.

My late father was born in 1925. You were born nine years later in 1934. You studied in England, as did my father. You worked for a British multi-national, as did my father. And both you and my father are not only members of the royal family but are pre-Merdeka Malays -- where Malays of that era, especially those from the elite class and products of a British education, were more English than Englishmen.

Hence, while I do not know you that well -- I only met you in 2008 -- I do know what my father was like and I do understand what made Malays, in particular ‘elite’ Malays of that era, tick. And unless I am terribly wrong, you probably have the same heart and mind as my father. And because of that you are certainly not suited for a career in politics.

Please do not get me wrong, Tunku. My father hated Umno, although almost all his contemporaries joined Umno and became members of the new post-Merdeka government in 1957. There was hardly a single corporate chief, senior civil servant, or political leader of that era who did not know my father. But he refused to join the government either as a civil servant or a politician. He just did not believe in politics.

That did not mean he did not vote though. And he not only voted but he voted opposition as well, Gerakan to be precise. But that was only because Gerakan was then an opposition party and a party of what he regarded as intellectuals from a mixed-racial background.

My father was already 1Malaysia and anti-Umno long before the concept became popular. Unfortunately, my father died in 1971 before he could retire or else I believe he may have even become politically active with the opposition had he lived until retirement age, like you did, Tunku. Sometimes I think it is maybe fortunate that he died in 1971 before he could see Gerakan join Barisan Nasional, which, I am sure, would have broken his heart.

My father was so proud that he voted Gerakan he would tell the whole world that he did so, much to my mother’s horror who would tell him to shush. He had high hopes that the days of racial politics had come to an end and that the future lies with multi-racial parties like Gerakan, which was headed by a whole bunch of intellectuals.

And I suppose that is why I think the way I think and do things that I do. My father’s ‘indoctrination’ had a lasting affect on me and made me into what I am today, whether that is a good or bad I really do not know.

Anyway, what I wanted to say is: knowing my father, and hence knowing you as well -- unless I am wrong in my assessment -- it may be prudent that you gracefully resign from DAP. Since what you stand for is not quite what DAP also stands for, your graceful exit on the understanding that you have agreed to disagree would mean you can still remain friends although you may not quite share the same views.

I started this piece by laying out your track record to remind all of us that you have contributed immensely to the nation. However, that one slip, if I may be permitted to call it that, is going to tarnish everything that you have done. Malaysians will never remember the 1,000 good things that you did. They will only remember the one thing that you did, which they do not agree with.

The trouble with you, Tunku, is that you think like an Englishman. Hence, if it is not cricket, as they say in England, you will speak your mind. But in politics you can’t do that. You need to toe the party line. You have to do what is good for the party. And if you can’t do this then you have no business being in the party.

I trust what I say will be taken in the spirit it has been said. I certainly mean no disrespect. The fact that I have drawn parallels between you and my father demonstrates the tremendous respect I have for you. It is just that the longer you remain in DAP the more they will demonise you. And for someone who has done so much for the nation you really do not deserve the things they are saying about you or what they are doing to you.

I do hope we can one day meet again, maybe here in the UK, where we can shoot the breeze and talk about the good old days when Malays and Malaysians in general were decent human beings who put the nation above self-interest.

Till we next meet, Tunku, may salam to you and the family.
    py

No Senatorship, so lompat. Biasa.

Appearing on TV, DAP's Tunku Aziz quits party

NEWS/COMMENTARIES

Monday, 14 May 2012 Super Admin

(Harakah Daily) - DAP vice chairman Tunku Abdul Aziz Ibrahim (pic), given a prime time slot on UMNO-controlled television channel NTV7, tonight announced his resignation from his party post and membership, saying he would notify the leadership.

In an hour long interview aired by the station, Aziz, whose remarks criticising the Bersih 3.0 rally of April 28 brought out into the open his differences with party leadership, called on the public to support the Barisan Nasional government's 'transformation' programme.

"The government is listening. Although I belong to the opposition party, I can see the merit of what they are doing. Give them a chance to show that what they are doing is for the benefit of all," said the 78-year old, whose senatorship was not renewed by the Penang state government following his remarks deriding peaceful protesters in Kuala Lumpur.

Suggestive questioning, NTV7 style

In the hour long programme in which a pair of hosts threw suggestive questions on him, Aziz took pains to stress that he was not against electoral reforms coalition Bersih 2.0's demands, but was only against its decision to defy the police's warning against participating in a sit-in at Dataran Merdeka.

Last month, having denied entry to the historic public square, some 200,000 people gathered for the Bersih 3.0 rally in several parts of the capital, calling for urgent electoral reforms be carried out before the next general election.

Aziz repeated the now familiar argument in the mainstream media accusing Bersih leadership as serving a political agenda, saying it was "unfortunate" that the popular NGO was seen supporting opposition politicians.

Turning to the Bar Council which has recently come under attack from BN leaders and top police brass over its stand last week condemning the police for the way it treated protesters last month, Aziz chided it for being "more concerned with politics".

"The Bar until recently had a commanding influence and seen as fighters for justice and equity. But recently, for several years, it has been seen as being more concerned with politics," he said, agreeing with criticisms by UMNO leaders against the Bar's unanimous resolution last Friday.

Many times during the interview Aziz described himself as "naive" and "stupid" for his decision to join politics.

Recalling the decision to join DAP in 2008, Aziz said he was obliging veteran politician Lim Kit Siang, whom he described as "the one man I trust", who offered him a platform in the party.

In the interview, Aziz however disputed suggestions that DAP was a Chinese-based party, saying the party's meetings were conducted in the national language, something he said was proof that it was "trying to change".

'I didn't join PR'

Before ending his interview with an announcement that he would tender his resignation, Aziz claimed that he chose to stay on in the party for fear of "letting my friend down if I withdraw", adding that his role as vice chairman was "somewhat circumscribed in that you are not totally free".

Asked why he had not joined PKR instead, Aziz argued he did not know its de-facto leader Anwar Ibrahim as much as he knew Lim.

According to Aziz, he had only joined DAP and not Pakatan Rakyat.

"I didn't join PR, I joined DAP. Don't expect my views to coincide with theirs 100 per cent."

Aziz however refused to be drawn in by the host's allegation that Anwar had a "questionable image and reputation", saying DAP's agreement to appoint Anwar as a prime minister in the event PR governs at the Federal level could have been "for the sake of the coalition's unity".

"Anwar seems to be the person best suited," he added.

'PAS no pushover'

He brushed aside allegations that DAP had been able to put pressure on fellow coalition partner PAS, stressing that the Islamic party was "no pushover".

"You can't subordinate PAS. They have their own ideas and strength," he said, adding that differences among PR partners were usual and expected.

Aziz however made clear his support to the BN government, saying it had done a "reasonable job", although he quickly added: "But they could have done better".
    He said the BN government was moving in the "right direction" in the much-trumpeted 'transformation' agenda of prime minister Najib Razak.

"They are on the right track. I have absolute confidence," declared Aziz, repeating a familiar argument by BN leaders that governing a multiracial country like Malaysia is a "monumental task" - something which Aziz said the PR coalition had "no experience" in.
    py

Greed and ego never fails.

Dissecting Tunku Aziz — Koon Yew Yin

http://www.themalaysianinsider.com/s...-koon-yew-yin/

May 20, 2012

MAY 20 — Although I do not know Tunku Aziz Tunku Ibrahim personally, I have friends who have known him for many years, a few of whom know him very well.

This analysis of Tunku Aziz is based partly on my discussions with them as well as my analysis of the events that have unfolded since his resignation from the DAP.

It is also based on various statements that have been made by Tunku Aziz and other players in this political drama that has preoccupied many Malaysians for far too long.

It is important to note that Tunku Aziz has always been a conservative and a pro-establishment figure right from his early days.

He is a distant member of the Kedah royal family. According to Wikipedia, his father was an officer in the Kedah police during the British colonial administration who rose to become Officer in Charge of Police District (OCPD), Alor Setar.

After completing his university studies in England and Australia (possibly on government scholarships) he worked for Guthrie Corporation before joining Bank Negara as an advisor. He eventually returned to the private sector, and was appointed a group director of Sime Darby.

Much has been made by Tunku Aziz of his long standing anti-corruption credentials. My conclusion is that he has made a second career out of the cause, which has served him well.

Firstly, it is important to note his high position in the corporate world as an insider who has helped to facilitate the wheels of business at the highest levels.

He was, at one time or another, a member of the Council of the Federation of Malaysian Manufacturers, the Malaysian National Shippers Council, the Asean Business Council, the Asean-US Business Council, and the Asian-EU Business Council.

He served for several years on the Employers’ Panel of the Industrial Court. All of these appointments could not have been made by someone who did not receive the stamp of approval by the Barisan Nasional government.

Secondly, he jumped on the anti-corruption bandwagon very late. Despite the issue’s cancerous growth, especially since the early days of the New Economic Policy in the 1970’s, it was not until more than 20 years later in 1998 that Tunku Aziz founded, together with others, the Malaysian chapter of Transparency International known locally as The Kuala Lumpur, and now the Malaysian Society for Transparency & Integrity. He was not the founder – only co-founder.

According to his official curriculum vitae, “Tunku Aziz devoted the whole of his time to Transparency International on a voluntary basis from 1995-2004.”

That is probably true but it is important to note that the position provided him — in addition to sponsored travel and high profile exposure — the basis for his local and subsequently international prominence. That belated “voluntary basis” work put him on the international NGO circuit and helped to embellish his resume.

It also provided him with an inflated sense of his political clout and likely fed his ego. In fact, when I am comparing him with other local figures who have sacrificed much more for their beliefs and principles, I feel that Tunku Aziz’s work has given him an undeserved reputation as an activist. An arm chair critic, yes; but an activist, no.

Given his background and career, it is not surprising that Tunku Aziz has now returned to the Barisan Nasional fold. His reputation for standing up for principles and for consistency has now been exposed as undeserved.

Some readers have asked whether Tunku Aziz was in fact a government mole. I do not think so. In my mind, what happened was the rebuke by Lim Guan Eng over his initial Bersih comments. It was a public dressing down by the DAP chief, which no person, especially one with a strong sense of his standing in society, could be expected to stomach.

This was compounded by the DAP decision not to renew his senatorship. If this decision was conveyed or signalled to Tunku Aziz well before his Bersih comments, it is likely that it would have been a severe blow to his sense of self-esteem and would have provided justification to him for taking the line of argument that he did when he criticised the Bersih assembly.

What pushed Tunku Aziz to the point of no return in his relationship with the DAP were the more politically inept attempts to provide him with a senior fellowship position at the Penang Institute as compensation. The Institute works as the state government’s think tank and would have paid him RM50,000 in terms of emoluments. As Tunku Aziz remarked, “Are they mad?”

On the last point, I agree with Tunku Aziz on the political immaturity of some DAP leaders as the wayang kulit unfolded. This has been an occasion which has not only been a distraction but has also shown the party shooting itself in the foot.

But what I and most Malaysians find completely unacceptable, objectionable and disgusting is Tunku Aziz’s transformation from being the vice chairman of the largest opposition party to being Prime Minister Najib Razak’s cheerleader.

He has now gone on record to say: “What the prime minister has done now is the right thing and we need to support him”.

He has also said that Najib’s transformation process for change and improving the democratic process would certainly take time.

Earlier, Tunku Aziz was one of those who said that more than enough time had already been given to BN and Najib in ruling the country. Now, he has changed his tune.

To my mind this political somersault is unprecedented in the annals of Malaysian political history, and possibly anywhere in the world. It is tantamount to saying “Vote for the BN” despite all the corruption and abuses of human rights and democracy from someone who claimed that he was anti-Barisan.

No wonder Najib, Muhyiddin Yassin and Dr Mahathir Mohamad are praising him to the sky and using him as part of their anti-DAP and anti-Chinese rhetoric.

However, given that these same BN leaders and media have condemned him so strongly in the past, Malaysians can see through the double talk and hypocrisy of the BN and Tunku Aziz.

It is time for everyone to move on. Tunku Aziz can tend to his ornamental fish. And the Malaysian public should focus on the many serious problems that plague our society and which in my opinion. Tunku Aziz warrants only a small footnote at most when the final report comes in.

* Koon Yew Yin reads The Malaysian Insider

* This is the personal opinion of the writer or publication and does not necessarily represent the views of The Malaysian Insider.
    py

The mutation of Tunku Aziz — Martin Jalleh

May 20, 2012

http://www.themalaysianinsider.com/s...martin-jalleh/

MAY 20 — Below are excerpts of an article written by Tunku Aziz. It appeared in The Malaysian Insider (of which he was then a columnist) on August 6, 2009, and the following day on Lim Kit Siang’s blog.

No comment on the man whom I once held in very high regard for and quoted quite often is really necessary here. The excerpts of his article and his glaringly contradictory stance today are sufficient to reveal the transparent and telling self-inflicted tragedy of the man.

(The paragraphing has been edited for convenient reading.)

Demonstrations: A fundamental right of citizens

By Tunku Aziz

Minutes before writing this article, I had just finished reading, for the second time after a lapse of some years, F.W. De Klerk’s “The Last Trek – A New Beginning.” He was, of course, the President of South Africa who dismantled apartheid and gave the people of that troubled nation a new democratic constitution, which saw the once proscribed African National Congress in the seat of power after winning the general elections in 1994.

I mention all this because in spite of the fact that the Republic of South Africa had been under a state of emergency and under siege, De Klerk, in 1989, a few months before his inauguration as President, made a conscious political decision to legalise protest demonstrations that had been made illegal until then, much to the consternation of his security advisers. They thought it was madness on his part given the circumstances prevailing at the time. Why did he do what he did?
    Let him tell us in his own words:

“We were faced with the fact that it would be impossible to avoid the gathering of thousands of people committed to the march. The choice, therefore, was between breaking up an illegal march with all the attendant risks of violence and negative publicity, or of allowing the march to continue, subject to the conditions that could help to avoid violence and ensure good order.

“These were important considerations, but none of them was conclusive. The most important factor, which tipped the scale, was my conviction that the prohibition of powerful protests and demonstrations could not continue. Such an approach would be irreconcilable with the democratic transformation process that I was determined to launch and the principles of a state based on the rule of law, which I wanted to establish.”

In terms of the security and public order situation then obtaining in South Africa, and the situation in Malaysia today, where peaceful demonstrations are illegal, the two situations do not bear the remotest resemblance.

The justification trotted out with regular monotony by the government is so outrageously dishonest as to insult our intelligence. A government that sees a need to continue to impose an undemocratic law has no place in a parliamentary democracy.

For F.W De Klerk, the man who worked himself out of a job, it was nothing more than “restoring what was regarded throughout the world as a basic democratic right.” [Emphasis mine (TA)]

Perhaps De Klerk’s most inspiring statement in defence of democratic principles is “…..no vision of the future can justify any government to ignore the basic human rights of the human beings involved. No cause is so great that we should allow it to dilute our sense of justice and humanity.” [Emphasis mine (TA)]

On that note, as our legal friends would say, I rest my case. Now over to our self-proclaimed reformist prime minister. (Please take note of what he called Najib Razak then!)

* This is the personal opinion of the writer or publication and does not necessarily represent the views of The Malaysian Insider.
    py

The mutation of Tunku Aziz (Part 3) — Martin Jalleh

May 22, 2012
    http://www.themalaysianinsider.com/s...martin-jalleh/

MAY 22 — Former DAP vice-chairman Tunku Abdul Aziz Tunku Ibrahim “has made an impassioned call to the people to support the leadership of Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak” (Bernama, May 18, 2012).

“Give Najib the chance and time to see his transformation programmes currently being implemented, come into fruition,” he said.

Tunku Abdul Aziz, who quit the DAP to defend his stand against holding the Bersih 3.0 demonstration on April 28, repeated his view that the transformation programmes were good for the country.

“What the prime minister has done now is the right thing and we need to support him,” he said, adding that Najib’s transformation process for change would certainly take time. This included Najib’s administration on improving the democratic process of the country.

It was a complete turnaround by Tunku Aziz of his opinion on Najib’s person, position, performance and (transformation) programmes which he (Tunku Aziz) had consistently held over the past few years.

Many were flabbergasted and even furious with his dramatic and drastic reversal. They speculated — he sold his soul, he has become senile, he felt slighted by the DAP and wanted to strike back, he just lost his senses or he was just being sincere to self… we will never know.

Whether he be a turncoat, a Trojan or merely being true to himself perhaps, it would be best to let God be the judge. I consider the “transformation” of Tunku Aziz as a very sad self-inflicted tragedy!

He has done much for this country. May his ornamental fish bring him peace of mind… as the rest of the country decides to sink or swim.

As for his overnight and impassioned plea to the people to support the leadership of Najib, the rakyat should be wise enough to take into consideration some of what Tunku Aziz has said about Najib and his premiership. Below are some of his Najib-related quotes from his articles over the past three years.

A leader morally deficient

“It would be an untruth if I said I was ever a fan of Datuk Seri Najib Razak. Be that as it may, I am sorry about his coming into office, unlike all his predecessors, weighed down by the heaviest baggage imaginable, stuffed up to the neck with allegations of impropriety…

“I am not about to dispute his legitimacy to govern based on the mandate given to the Barisan Nasional by the people as part of the electoral process, but that, without an underpinning of high ethical standards of behaviour, renders a leader morally deficient…

“We cannot have a prime minister who is not prepared to answer these serious allegations about his involvement in some seedy criminal activities, or those bordering on the criminal…” (“Demonstrations: A fundamental right of citizens”, The Malaysian Insider, August 6, 2009)

A PM with a smooth silvery tongue

“I am ecstatic, more than anyone can imagine, by Najib’s strong rhetoric against corruption. I use the word ‘rhetoric’ advisedly because while we have heard many populist pronouncements rolling off his smooth silvery tongue on a variety of issues, we are still waiting to see the colour of his money. Will he deliver as promised?”
    (“Demonstrations: A fundamental right of citizens”, The Malaysian Insider, August 6, 2009)

A PM prepared to trade away integrity

“Malaysians are now being treated to a display of arrogance unprecedented in the history of BN administration, and the choice of Isa (Mohd Isa Samad as the BN candidate for the Bagan Pinang by-election), in all the circumstances, flies in the face of what little is left that is decent and honourable in our national life, worth preserving. Even by Umno’s and, by extension, Najib’s own standards, this is a very low point, and that is putting it charitably.

“Bagan Pinang will in the end be remembered in history as the place where Umno lost its moral bearing, credibility and legitimacy to lead the Malays. Umno’s ugly nakedness in surrendering ethical values and principles to political expediency is here for all to see: it will be its undoing.” (“Najib does not disappoint”, The Malaysia Insider, October 10, 2009)

An inept PM

“Malaysia needs a thorough overhaul and Najib whom we need like we do a great big hole in our head is unlikely to understand the dynamics of change for the great leap forward…

“He is not only busy watching over-sized baggage, but also his back with the sort of loyal friends he has had foisted on him. There simply isn’t much time for anything else while the ship of state springs more leaks by the day.” (“Anwar waves his magic and thrills European audiences”, My Sinchew, October 4, 2010)

A PM so beholden to his master

“For someone groomed and programmed by the master of all that is costliest, grandest, tallest, biggest and most corrupt (no Nobel Prize for guessing), this is the only fitting way for Umno under his (Najib’s) leadership to blast off politically into oblivion…

“Business as usual is not the way to go. If there is no political will to transform the way government business is transacted, then Budget 2011 will go up in smoke like other corruption-inspired programmes and projects that have become common feature of BN government initiatives littering the Malaysian economic landscape.” (“A budget for all seasons”, My Sinchew, October 25, 2010)

An arrogant and disdainful PM

“Najib Razak’s tantalising array of transformation plans are doomed to failure if he continues to show arrogance and disdain for public opinion by putting disreputable, unsavoury and corruption-tainted Umno politicians to head FELDA, FELCRA and other institutional milch cows.

“Let me remind Najib, the self-proclaimed listening ear of the people’s needs, that in the ultimate analysis, actions speak louder than words.

“Malaysia cannot achieve wholesome, ethical developed nation status by 2020 or 2099 if Barisan Nasional politics remains stuck in the same groove of careless indifference to basic values and value systems that Malaysia desperate lacks and needs.

“Knuckle down to basics and the rest will fall in place. At present the transformation plans sound like so much noise and nothing more because it is inconceivable that they will ever be carried out in a prudent and accountable and sustainable way for the benefit of the long-suffering people of Malaysia.

“Discerning Malaysians are not blind to the fact that all the public money being so generously doled out on a daily basis in Sarawak and Selangor is nothing less than advance vote buying.

“Money cannot buy the nation’s burning desire for change and change there will be. Try another tack, and save the country from bankruptcy. (“Now every crook can fight corruption”, The Malaysian Insider, April 1, 2011)
    * See also Part 1 and Part 2.

py

Tunku Aziz not the reason Malays join DAP

Mohd Ariff Sabri Aziz
    | May 23, 2012
    http://www.freemalaysiatoday.com/cat...lays-join-dap/

Umno's excitement at Tunku Aziz's exit from DAP is grossly miscalculated and has not triggered the 'expected' exodus of Malays from the opposition party.

COMMENT
    Umno’s hope that Tunku Abdul Aziz Tunku Ibrahim’s exit from DAP would serve as the catalyst prompting other Malays in DAP to do likewise has crumbled.

Indeed, Tunku Aziz’s action has reinforced the determination of Malays who joined DAP to stay put despite his U-turn.

It has perhaps only now dawned on Umno that people adopt a certain political stand not because of loyalty to a figure. Such loyalty is ephemeral.

You will see that soon – as soon as Umno president Najib Tun Razak performs worse than his predecessor Abdullah Ahmad Badawi.

But the real issue in my mind, is not about Tunku Aziz’s departure from DAP at all. It’s all about Umno seeing this as a chance to revive its own diminishing legitimacy.

How many times have I said that Umno cannot claim it is representing the Malays. In 2008, Umno candidates got only two million of the 5.7 million votes.

That’s a clearer sign that Umno is no longer relevant to Malays than Tunku Aziz’s exit from DAP as suggesting that DAP is not compatible with Malays.

Like Umno’s favorite line when interpreting Tunku Aziz’s exit, the exodus of Malays from the Umno mothership can only mean that Malays are no longer compatible with Umno.

If you are eager to arrive at such a conclusion from Tunku Aziz’s exit, then you must apply the same line of reasoning and accordingly, the conclusion regarding Umno.

Umno’s new media darling

If you can’t, then see Tunku Aziz’s departure as it really is – the departure of one man who realises now that changing something cannot happen within a self-imposed time frame.

Just like Tunku Aziz’s sudden eureka moment that (Prime Minister) Najib Tun Razak’s transformation takes time, that same logic must be applied to whatever Tunku Aziz wishes to happen to DAP.

Except the problem with Tunku Aziz is that the changes that he wants in DAP must take place NOW, but the changes that Najib is touting MUST be given a chance to take place.

Why not the same treatment?

Since leaving DAP, Tunku Aziz has become Umno media’s darling. He has been described as the Malay face that DAP can use to attract more Malays. What rubbish.

Malays who joined DAP did not even include Tunku Aziz in their equation.

With due respect to Tunku Aziz, he was an unknown political entity.

It’s absolutely not true that DAP wanted to use Tunku Aziz as the face that would entice Malays into joining DAP.
    I find that offensive. The Malays who joined DAP find some resonance with the values and struggles which DAP espouses.

‘Umno survives on others’ misfortune’

Why is Umno worried about a handful of Malays being in DAP?

It should encourage more Malays to join DAP to restructure DAP as a multiracial party.

It should not stand in the way if Malays choose to join DAP unless of course, its very survival depends on it being able to keep alive the racist slants of Malaysian politics.

But then that’s how Umno is. It can only survive on the misfortunes of others.

It has never grounded its survival on the strength of its own principles and values.

Umno is a sinking ship and if Malays don’t want to join DAP, they are better off joining PAS – the real Malay party founded on values and principles.

Umno has neither principles nor integrity.

The writer is a former Umno state assemblyman but joined DAP earlier this year. He is a FMT columnist.
    py

Tunku Aziz saga an invaluable lesson for DAP

Athi Shankar
    | May 22, 2012
    http://www.freemalaysiatoday.com/cat...esson-for-dap/

It's time the party grooms grassroot leaders to forge Malay unity instead of plucking just about anyone and thrusting him into the limelight, says the Penang Malays Congress.

GEORGE TOWN: It’s time for the DAP leadership to take pro-active steps to identify and develop Malay leaders from the party rank and file, a Malay-based local NGO said today.

Penang Malays Congress (PMC) president Rahmad Isahak said the Tunku Aziz Tunku Ibrahim saga was a lesson to the party that it should never pluck just anybody and thrust him into the limelight.

Saying that one should never try to build a house from the roof down, he said DAP should know by now that it should groom potential Malay talent from the grassroots.

He said it was imperative for DAP, as the ruling party of Penang, to allow grassroots members, not persons like Tunku Aziz, to emerge as the party’s Malay leaders.

He said that many Malays became aware of Tunku Aziz only last week and some did not even know that he was a DAP senator under its Penang quota.

“It reflects Tunku Aziz’s quite contributions to the party and the Malay community, especially in Penang,” said Rahmad.

He added that it was time DAP gave prominence to Malay grassroots leaders and to forge a strong Malay leadership in the party.

He said that the DAP’s failure to groom new Malay leaders since 2008 was a major reason behind the latter’s suspicion of the party.

He said DAP should work hard to shed the widespread perception that it was a Chinese chauvinist party.

He said DAP cannot afford to let its Pakatan Rakyat partners, PKR or PAS, be in charge of Malay affairs in Penang as “both parties failed to seize the initiative the past four years.”

He added that the DAP’s hopes for Tunku Aziz to emerge as the party’s Malay leadership face has also fallen flat.
    Being the ruling party, he said DAP must show to the people of Penang that it was a multi-racial party to safeguard the interest and rights of all ethnic groups.

“DAP cannot leave to other parties to do it. It must take the lead. It must unearth local talents to lead the Malays in the party and state,” said Rahmad.

He said one way to do this was to field at least five ‘home-grown’ Malay candidates to contest one federal and four state seats in Penang in the next general election.

He said it would take the sting out of Umno if DAP were to field strong Malay candidates.

“Umno’s propaganda that the DAP is for Chinese would not have listeners. But if the DAP continues to sideline the pressing Malay leadership agenda, the Malay community would continue to be suspicious of the party,” warned Rahmad.
    py

Visitors found this page by searching for:

tunku aziz ibrahim anwar ibrahim

Noc letter for malaysia students

tunku aziz criticise bersih

noc leeter for malaysia students 2012

bersih on defensive

violence bersih 3.0

what do you do if you didnt get the noc letter from malaysian government

discuss function of front bench and back bench in parliament

function of front bench back bench and opposition members of parliament in malaysia

challenges of najibs transformational agenda

noc letter malaysia student

judicial review in malaysia regarding bersih university act

SEO Blog