Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: THE RAT RACE PARTS I TO III

THE RAT RACE PARTS I TO III

Happy 2009.

Time to wrap up the Rat Race.

How to read these articles?
    1. These articles are very long. They are not written for entertainment.
    2. Run through the first run quickly to get an overview. Ignore the links to other sites.
    3. Print the articles and file it. You will find it easier to read on a hardcopy.
    4. When you have more time and in the right frame of mind, read the hard copy and follow the links on your computer. You will find it easier to follow the ideas.

Here's a promise. If you are below 35 and you read these articles carefully, it will save you some time in your journey of life. Maybe you could even get some ideas on how to get out of the Rat Race! :)

Back in Sept 2007, as I was watching the movie Engineering an Empire: Egypt, I was idly thinking of the Rat Race and it struck me: The slaves hauling the huge stone blocks up the ramps to build the pyramids were exactly like the rats in the Rat Race! That was it!

For the past few years, I had been puzzling over what made the Rat Race tick. My interest was mainly centred on how I could help my children to beat the system, as I knew intuitively that it was a system and that there were people manipulating it behind the scenes.

Hence these series – The Rat Race.

There are a few objectives in writing these articles:

What is the Rat Race?

What is the history behind it?
    How does it operate?
    Who are behind it?
    How was it executed?
    How do we defend ourselves from being exploited by the Rat Race?
    And lastly,
    How to get out of the Rat Race.

In presenting these articles, we will first examine the Rat Race System on a global basis, after which we will focus on the special case of Malaysia.

Since 18 Feb 2008, just before Mar 08 elections, we have been publishing the Rat Race. Over the next few days, we will republish them to help readers refresh their memories.

In these series, the life of a worker or employee in the political-economic system of a nation is described. To help our readers, we have proposed the mental model of a Rat Race System that operates on a circular track. At the same time, we describe the mental model of a Pyramid to depict the powers that are behind the Rat Race System. When the two models are combined, we will get a Cone.

We will show that human beings are exploited as Rats and manipulated through their emotions.

Fundamentally, life is a cycle. And cycles are a function of our emotions.

Read on ….
    py

THE RAT RACE PART I: WE ARE DOING WELL!

THE RAT RACE PART I: WE ARE DOING WELL!

(Note: This was first published in Malaysia-today on 18 Feb 2008:
    and in usj.com.my on 10-04-2008

The headlines at the Sun on Monday, 18 Feb 2008 screamed: “Believe me, we’re doing well!” It went on to quote Prime Minister Abdullah Badawi: “Kerajaan cakap, orang tak percaya, lain orang cakap, orang percaya, (What the government says, the public does not believe but what others say, they believe). Please believe us. We are your government and we do not lie,” said Abdullah.

These statements give rise to a few questions:
    1. Is Badawi suffering from such a credibility gap that he has to resort to such desperate pleas? I leave readers to consider his denial about the dissolution of parliament on 12 Feb 2008 and the very next day, dissolved parliament. If that was not lying, I don’t know what is lying.

2. He said: Believe me, we’re doing well! Here we have to stand back and ask ourselves –
    Doing well against what?

Let me elaborate.

In 1970, my mum was working as a maid, earning a monthly salary of RM 50. That was the year the NEP started. My sister had to stop schooling early because my mum could not afford her school expenses. I was farmed out to be taken care of by relatives. My dad had died more than 10 years earlier. We were living way below the poverty line. Yet, with her salary, she could buy 0.5 oz of gold, which cost USD 35/oz.

I managed to secure a state scholarship to do engineering at the University of Malaya. With my starting salary of RM 750 as a graduate engineer with the government in 1973, I could buy 5.9 oz of gold (official gold price USD 42.22 per oz, although the free-market price was much higher, varying from USD 58 to USD 97. See here.

Today, a fresh graduate will earn RM 1785 per month in government service. That salary will buy 0.6 oz of gold (USD 905 per oz. See here. In other words, after 35 years of the NEP, from 1973 to 2008, a graduate’s earning power has dropped by almost 90%! She is almost at the poverty level of a maid in 1970! We are talking about graduates. Don’t even think about the poor farmers in the field or the estate workers. They are in such a deep hole, that we don’t even know where to find them.

My question is: How can we be doing well with such numbers? Just do some simple comparisons. In 1970, a bowl of mee cost RM 0.70, a car RM 7,000, a double-storey terrace house in SS 2, Petaling Jaya cost less than RM 39,000. Mind you, that was a 26 feet wide house (8m), not the pigeon holes we call terrace houses nowadays. Today, the corresponding prices are between 5 to 10 times higher. But our salaries have not matched inflation. Honey, they have shrunk our ringgit!

Over the years, many readers at Malaysia-today have wrung their hands over the overt racism and discrimination of UMNO. I would like to suggest that our problems are not with UMNO per se but rather with the system of the Rat Race. I will elaborate on this in Part II – The System. Stay tuned.
    py

THE RAT RACE PART II – THE SYSTEM

THE RAT RACE PART II – THE SYSTEM

(This was first published in Malaysia-today on 20 Feb 2008:
    and usj.com.my on 11 Apr 2008:

What is the Rat Race?

Before I started in 1973 as a fresh engineer, all I wanted was to work and be independent. I was tired of depending on others for my survival and I thought that a job was my passport to wealth. Being young and foolish, I dreamed that by 28, I would drive a Mercedes and be a millionaire. All I had to do was to work hard….. Ah, the exuberance of youth.

Twenty eight came. I found that I was married, had my first child, was driving a 2nd-hand Toyota Corolla, put in a deposit for a house and …. zero in my bank account. So much for my fantasies. I found that I was really and truly stuck in the Rat Race.

Hmmm, wrong plan. Time to change direction.

So, after a few years of planning and saving, I jumped out of employment into the frying pan of running my own business. That was the beginning of much pain, sacrifice, stress and worse of all, fear. I even ventured overseas to try my luck. Eventually, after 20 years of sweat, blood and tears, I managed to save enough, on paper, to retire. By the 1998 Asian Financial Crisis, I was out of the Rat Race, except for one small problem. All my money was stuck with my client/developer who went bust. Not only that, my company owed the bank millions of ringgit.

There I was, on paper financially independent but in reality more broke than the day I started work. The next 3 years was a period of extreme worry and stress, staring at bankruptcy and realizing that I was too old to start afresh. Finally, the developer’s owner bought out the debt at a few cents to the dollar. It was a huge loss financially but being able pay off the bank was a huge relief.

No more! I was getting out!

Now I was free to pursue my other interests. But I still did not “get" the Rat Race. I had this vague idea of people running round and round in circles trying to make ends meet. I could not relate to it as I felt that I was not in that category since I was the boss of my own company. It was when I read Robert Kiyosaki’s best-selling book Rich Dad Poor Dad and played his Cashflow 101 Board Game

that it hit me - We are all caught in the Rat Race!

The Oxford Pocket Dictionary describes

The rat race

as a way of life in which people are caught up in a fiercely competitive struggle for wealth or power.

Another description is: an exhausting routine that leaves no time for relaxation.

A much better way of understanding the concept is to play the Cashflow Game itself. Basically, the game is a modified form of Monopoly with additional features like share investing, understanding our Income Statement, players taking up various professions and the teaching of financial literacy. The key to the game is that a 30-year working life is compressed into 3 hours and this gives participants a chance to understand the outcome of different choices of professions, financial habits and decisions. The elements which made up this game are:

1. Work
    2. Debt through the purchase of houses, cars, traveling, children upkeep, entertainment, etc.
    3. Spending on unnecessary stuff – Doodads.
    4. Investment through real estate or the stock market.

Essentially, it is a simplified version of the American way of life, which in many respects, is reflected here in Malaysia.

This is what the Rat Race appears on the surface.

But this did not make sense to me. From young, we were told “Go to school, study hard, get good grades and go out to get a good job. Then you will be set for life.” Our teachers taught us that. Our elders taught that. How could it be wrong?

Although I was out of the Rat Race, in many respects, I was still in the Rat Race. So, for the next few years, I started searching. Was there more to this than just a simple Rat Race? In the 70’s I had watched a movie Soylent Green. The plot had stuck in my mind for more than 30 years. In 2000, I saw The Matrix, which pictured the global domination of the human race by a super-computer but with a more malignant twist. It suggested a global conspiracy underlying our problems with the Rat Race and seemed to make sense. Could this be really happening to us? It was too horrifying to imagine.

In September 2007, when I saw Engineering An Empire: Egypt, the missing pieces of the puzzle fell into place. The Rat Race that we were running in was a sub-set of a global Rat Race and the answers to our dilemma laid outside. I then directed my search to the US, the dominant economic and military power and where information was more readily available. This led to a study of the global financial system and the people behind it. Now, things became clearer.

The Rat Race is a vehicle for exploitation of our global resources including humanity. In the eyes of the exploiters, human beings are a resource. In the old days, such people were called slaves. Nowadays, we have a more polite term – workers and employees (and sometimes, associates).

Those of us who vilify UMNO for our problems tend to forget that UMNO alone could not have implemented the Rat Race on their own. They needed collaborators and witting/unwitting participants. It is easy to wallow in our misery and blame others, but much harder to take a good look at ourselves and to ask: Did we collaborate in being victims?
    (Update 06/02/09: The overthrow of the Pakatan Rakyat State Govt in Perak has shown very clearly who are the Collaborators)

Still, many people are not aware of the insidiousness of the Rat Race because it acts on a very fundamental level of our mind - our emotions of fear and greed, our ignorance and genetic urges. And the beauty of it is that it had been run successfully for thousands of years.

In the next segment, we will examine The Rat Race Part III – How does the system work?
    py

THE RAT RACE PART IIIA - HOW THE SYSTEM WORKS

THE RAT RACE PART IIIA - HOW THE SYSTEM WORKS?

(This was published in Malaysia-today on 22 Fed 2008
    and usj.com.my on 13 Apr 200

In Part I (We Are Doing Well ) we explained why we are not doing well and in Part II (The System) we suggested that our problems are created by a system. From here on, it is going to be heavy-going. We are going to probe into “The Who, Why, How, and What”. It is going to be controversial and emotionally difficult for some to accept, simply because many sacred cows will be challenged, maybe we have to unlearn many things that we have learnt so far in life. So, we will proceed gently. The best suggestion we can make is: Hold your judgement until the end of this series. Then decide if it makes sense to you. If so, take it on board and use the knowledge wisely. Otherwise, move on.

First, a bit of digression…. The Internet has been a boon and a bane. A boon in the sense that we now have access to a huge source of information, a bane in that we are drowning in information.

INFORMATION OVERLOAD!

We have Malaysia-today, Malaysiakini and all those blogs screaming at us, ….. UMNO is corrupt! They are thieves and robbing us blind! Then we have the mainstream media, the religious establishment, our political leaders intoning solemnly, …. UMNO is heaven’s gift to Malaysia, if not to mankind. Malaysia and Malaysians should be thankful to them for treating us like Rats.

Next we have some religious leaders breathing fire and brimstone, declaring …. A vote for party A is a vote for Satan. On top of that, there is a financial tsunami building up around the world, with their alphabetic soup of derivatives (CDO, CDO Squared, CDO Cube, CDS, SIV) and the danger of the USD crashing. (By the way, if you have been putting your nose too close to the grinding stone to notice, watch the gold price closely) We are pulled hither and thither. How do we make sense of all these stuff? How do we protect ourselves?

KEEPING THINGS SIMPLE!

We need a simple model to make sense of the world, an anchor to benchmark against or better still, a picture of the whole scheme of things. Otherwise we will be like flotsam in the sea, drifting wherever the tides will us. Charlie Munger, Warren Buffett’s partner, made frequent references to this dilemma in his speeches. In fact, he wrote Poor Charlie’s Almanack, on how to go about it. We commend it to you.

As described in Wikipedia, Charlie introduced the concept of Elementary Worldly Wisdom as it relates to business and finance. Munger's worldly wisdom consists of a set of mental models framed as a latticework to help solve critical business problems. According to Munger, only 80 or 90 important models will carry about 90% of the freight in making you a worldly-wise person. That’s all we need…. 80 to 90 models to make sense of the whole world!

MENTAL MODELS

A mental model, Mental Models and Usability or Wikipedia Mental model is an internal scale-model representation of an external reality. It is built on-the-fly, from knowledge of prior experience, schema segments, perception, and problem-solving strategies. A mental model contains minimal information. It is unstable and subject to change. It is used to make decisions in novel circumstances. A mental model must be “runnable” and able to provide feedback on the results. Humans must be able to evaluate the results of action or the consequences of a change of state. They must be able to mentally rehearse their intended actions.

In laymen's language, think of the picture of a jig-zaw puzzle. A picture of that puzzle in your mind is the equivalent of a mental model.

(If you can just take on board the idea of mental models and apply it, you will have made a great difference to your life.)

WHAT’S THE POINT?

The key point about a mental model is that it is fluid, to allow us to modify it as new information arises. We need it to deal with a Rat Race model which is an evolving system that has survived for thousands of years. It is practically a living organism, maybe a Memeplex as described by Richard Dawkins in his book, The Selfish Gene.

Are you still with us? Good! Let’s get on with the nitty-gritty stuff.

For simplicity, let us consider a country. In future articles, we will expand it to include the whole world. For now, a country will do.

THE WHO: MENTAL MODEL NO. 1 – THE PYRAMID

Who is running the Rat Race? For now, let us call them the Exploiter. They sit at the top of a pyramid. We, the Rats, form the base of the pyramid. In between, there are multiple layers that transition from Rats to Exploiters and Collaborators. Now, that wasn’t so bad, was it?

THE WHY OF THE EXPLOITERS: GREED

As we have alluded to in Part II (The System), the Exploiters are doing it for greed and their objective is to control the resources, including the Rats, of the country. This is an important principle to remember: Understand the objectives and the actions will be clear. If you know the ultimate destination of a car, you don’t need to worry which route the driver is taking. Just focus on the end point. Then, all the smoke and the mirrors cannot confuse you. As a corollary, the reverse of what the Exploiters say, is usually the truth. That will help us to make sense of Badawi’s claim in Part I (We Are Doing Well). As an exercise, apply this principle to what Mahathir has been telling us for the past 26 years. It can make for some interesting revelations.

THE HOW OF THE RAT: IGNORANCE, APATHY & SLOTH

How did we end up in this mess? Ignorance, pure and simple! Ignorance about how our mind works, apathy and sloth in applying our minds productively and in resistance to change. Our mind at its most basic level reacts to sensations, sensations of craving and aversion. However, it is too subtle for us to detect, for most of us anyway, without some form of mental training. We won’t go into that as it is too esoteric for the purpose of these articles. (Those who are interested to explore further, can go here: Mind Mastery. Warning: Your goals in life may change after that. So tread with caution.. At a grosser level, the reactions manifest itself as a liking for pleasant sensations and a dislike for unpleasant sensations. For example, we like it when people praise us. We dislike it when people criticize, condemn or threaten us. So we do things that encourage people to praise us and we avoid things that result in us being threatened, criticized or condemned… nothing wrong with that, except when others use this trait to exploit and manipulate us.

Conformity: Humans, like sheep, tend to follow the crowd. Experiments have shown that you only need to control 5% in a group and get them to follow your instructions. The rest will follow, especially, if they don’t know what they are doing. I remembered as a kid, walking across a grass field to school. The most direct way was a straight line but someone started walking in a meandering direction. The others followed. After a while, a meandering path was formed on the grass, even though there were no obstructions along the straight line. And ever since, for years on, the school-children would follow the meandering path. No one knew why. They just followed

Conditioning: Again, like animals, humans are easy to condition. Keep feeding them lie after lie. After a while, they will accept it as the truth.

Start Early: Next, start them young. If we want to teach a dog, we start at the puppy stage. As they say, you can’t teach an old dog, new tricks. If a child is taught from young that a piece of paper is valuable, he/she will accept it as valuable. Sometimes, such values are transmitted unconsciously.

Illusion of paper money: There was an incident in the early 90’s when the ATMs were starting to take over the functions of the bank tellers. Our fifth child, Mei, had developed an early fascination for buying “stuff”. Her mom tried to fob her off, telling her she had no money. Her innocent response: “Get the card from papa, put it in the ATM machine and money will come out.” Mei is 21 now and her fascination has mutated into an obsession with shopping. Ah, the joys of parenthood.

Did your parents teach you that paper money is real money?

Education: Then we have education or more correctly, the lack of it. The education system is geared towards producing Rats – workers or cogs for the system. A sad example: The Tamils in Malaysia were encouraged to live in estates and study Tamil in the estate schools. They were trained to be estate workers. But when the business model changed, the estates were converted to housing or industrial areas, the Tamils suddenly found themselves uprooted and lost. For more, read here Plea of the dispossessed .

Obedience: We are taught to be obedient to the system, not to challenge it. The Exploiter will keep enough sticks in place to make sure we comply.

Financial Illiteracy: The school system does not teach us how the financial system really works. We are not taught how to manage ourselves financially. We are encouraged to get into debt. That sets us up as suckers for the banks and financial institutions to exploit – more on that later.

Distract them: The news and entertainment media are set up to distract the Rats, to keep them from thinking too deeply. In the olden days, the Romans had the lions and the coliseum. Today, we have the football stadium and Malaysia-bolehism.

Keep them busy: Give the Rats so much work that they have no time to think. Think Singapore.

Inflation: We are taught that inflation is caused by the price of goods rising. Day after day, this point is drummed into us. Then we are told that prices of essential goods are controlled or even subsidized, to protect us. Did anyone ever bothered to tell you that rising prices is a symptom of inflation, not its cause? Inflation is mainly caused by too much money chasing too few goods! The excessive supply of money is due to the Central Bank printing too much money! (The other factor, of course, is demand exceeding supply.) To keep the Rats from getting too excited about rising inflation, the Consumer Price Index (CPI) is under-stated. Don’t feel bad. All the governments in the world do it. So we are not alone.

The best place to get a better handle on this is to study the US economy.

Here is an example on how under-reporting was carried out in the US:
    Actual monthly average prices vs the Government reported prices.

Well, this table says it all, the government don't report the real numbers but LOWER ! They do that in order to keep inflation rates low, it's as simple as that !
    The Malaysian CPI has always been reported as between 2 to 4%. Ask your mum who buys the groceries. She should be able to give you a more realistic figure. We estimate that real inflation is more of the order of 7 to 10%. Prices double every 7 to 10 years. Here’s a tip: World wheat prices has gone up by 200% over the past year. Imagine what keeping money in the bank earning interest of 2 to 3% per annum does to your money. Or buying insurance and hoping for that little nest egg at the end of 20 to 30 years. Or your EPF.

Now, why would they want to do that? We have to remember that our wages are “tied” to inflation. If inflation goes up significantly, the Rats will start agitating for higher wages. The pensioners and the poor are the hardest hit.

Assigning Labels: Assign labels to the Rats. Call them anything … Black Rats, Brown Rats, Yellow Rats, Green Rats, holy Rats, unholy Rats. Just categorize them up and treat them differently. It is a sure-fire way of keeping the Rats distracted and squabbling among each other. It never fails.

Divide & Rule: Here’s a secret: The Exploiter treats the Rats as both a resource and as a potential enemy that can turn against them. The best way to prevent that is to keep the Rats busy fighting each other. The greatest fear of the Exploiter is that the Rats wake up and unite.

Greed: Play on the greed of one group of Rat and co-opt them to become collaborators to disadvantage the others.

Envy: Tell one group of Rat that another group is doing better than them and that this group has to be suppressed.

Fear: If the above doesn’t work, the Exploiters have another tool – the infliction of fear, the threat of violence and harm on the Rats. Play on their sense of vulnerability.

Ego: Feed on the Rats’ egos. Tell them that they are superior, God’s gift to earth. Sometimes, Exploiters get carried away, playing on the Rats’ fears and simultaneously feeding their ego. And yet the Rats lap it up.

Sloth & Resistance to change: Even when the Rats see disaster staring them in the face and they know that a change in mindset is necessary, due to their mental lethargy, they refuse to change. Their rationale is “Better to stick with the devil we know than the devil we don’t know”. Another excuse is “The other group has no experience. How can we trust them?” It does not occur to them to ask “What is the best way to find out?” Slothful Rats go through life always getting the wrong results because they don’t ask the right questions. Their defense will be to adopt the attitude of a victim – life is not fair to them, they have not been given a chance.

War: If all else fails, the Exploiter will resort to desperate measures, a new distraction – an external one. Go to war with another country. Send the ring-leaders (trouble-makers) to the war-front, destroy the old Rat Race, so that a new Rat Race can be started after the war. During this period, a massive transfer of wealth from the Rats to the Exploiters will take place (provided the Exploiters win the war. The losers join the Rats.). (More of this in a future article on The Pyramid.)

We are sure if you were to sit down and list it out, there is much more but to keep this article within manageable limits, we will stop here.

So the Exploiters exploit the mental weaknesses of the Rats to enslave them. Make no mistake about it. It is a form of slavery!

To sum up:

1. The Exploiters are doing this out of greed.
    2. The Rats are mentally weak and ignorant
    3. The Exploiter takes advantage of the Rats’ ignorance to exploit them.
    4. Develop your wisdom through Mental Models.

We shall take a break here and continue with Part IIIB – The Circle, later. There we will discuss how the Exploiters implement the system of the Rat Race. We promise you. It will be fun..
    py

The rat race part iiib: Mental model no. 2 - the circle

Segment 1 of 2: The Exploiter's Strategies

THE RAT RACE PART IIIB: MENTAL MODEL NO. 2 – THE CIRCLE

See Malaysia-today 25 Feb 2008, or
    usj.com.my 20 Apr 08

For those who wish to explore more, we recommend George Orwell’s classics Animal Farm and 1984 or to watch the movies Soylent Green or The Matrix.

In 1984 the ruling party’s slogans were:

WAR IS PEACE
    FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
    IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

The reverse of the truth was exactly what we saw in Part I (We Are Doing Well).

The Pyramid:
    Let us consider the Pyramid a bit more. The Rat’s mental model is a base of Rats with an apex of Exploiters. The Exploiter’s mental model is quite different. They see themselves as the owner of all the resource in a country including all the Rats. These Rats are regarded as both an asset and a potential enemy. In their calculus, the Rat has to be subjugated through a constant programme of psychological warfare. They have to be kept divided among each other to prevent them from grouping and threatening the Exploiter’s hold on power. Any rebellion has to be ruthlessly put down but with as little bloodshed as possible. After all, if you are the owner of a flock of diary cows and you are milking them, you don’t want to shoot them at the first sign of trouble. You want to keep them in good shape as long as there is milk to be extracted. The Rat Race system has to meet these objectives.

Remember this concept:
    To the Exploiter, the Rat is both an asset and a potential enemy that has to be constantly monitored and subjected to brainwashing.

The Exploiter’s Strategies
    1. The Boiling Frog Strategy

The Exploiter will keep on squeezing, in small increments, the Rat to extract more and more output from it. If the Rat protests, the pressure will be let up temporarily. Then the Exploiter will go into placating-mode to calm the Rats down. When the Rat is not paying attention, the pressure resumes. The long-term objective never changes - maximum output from the Rat that will still keep the Rat alive. You don’t want to kill The goose that lays the Golden Eggs

2. Draw the Rat into the Dollar Economy
    Get the Rat to work for money issued by the Exploiter. To the Exploiter, money is free, only paper and ink is needed. The money is backed by taxes, part of which is collected from levies on the Rat.

3. Train it to run in the Rat Race

Train the Rat from young to run in the Rat Race for money. Effectively, the Rat is working for free.

4. Debt trap
    Induce the Rat to get into debt through the purchase of house, car, spending, credit cards, easy loans, etc

5. Tax
    Impose income tax on the Rat. Levy taxes on all goods consumed and on property owned by the Rat. Every step of the way, through the salami technique, steal the Rat’s money. Tax them on social security, health insurance, accident, anything that could be gotten away with.

6. Inflation:
    Reduce the value of the money progressively through induced-inflation. This is achieved by printing money in excess of the economic growth. Eg. If growth is 4%, increase the money supply by 15% say. Excess money will result in too much money chasing too few goods leading to price increase. A very good example is property speculation. House prices rise. The early birds feel good. The Exploiter feels good. After all, he controls the land bank. The poor Rat panics and jumps in to buy before the prices shoot to the moon. Now, he is caught in the cycle of debt and the Rat Race. It works all the time. Inflation means that the Rat is paid less and less, ditto for the pensioners.

7. Baby Rats
    Encourage the Rat to produce baby Rats to increase the labour pool. The Rat even looks after and pay for the upkeep of the babies. Talk about having your cake and eat it.

8. Laws
    Impose laws to keep the Rats in line. Prevent them from building large social groups, networks and unions.

9. Secret Service
    Constantly monitor the Rats to pre-empt any move towards rebellion. Isolate any potential rebel leaders by detaining them and turning them over (brainwashing). The Secret Service’s job is to keep stirring the pot. Introduce new ideas to keep the Rats agitated and at each other’s throats constantly, but not enough to cause an outbreak of violence. Wounded Rats are not good for business.

10. Control of information
    Control all the news media. Use TV, radio and newspapers for mass propaganda and brainwashing of the Rats.

11. Thought Control
    The only ideas allowed are those that promote the Exploiters’ hold on power. Any idea or thought contrary to that or challenge the Exploiters’ version of the truth shall be suppressed. Eg: Promote the idea that only the Exploiter can run a nation. Create the belief that the Exploiter will always remain in power. (Read this article by Dr Azmi Sharom Don't Be Afraid Of Open Debate. Once such mental habits are formed, it is very difficult to break out of it, especially for those with weak minds. Keep the Rats apathetic. Keep them distracted. Football and Malaysian Idol are perennial favourites. Do not encourage innovative thoughts.

Promote a common religion, claim that it holds the Ultimate Truth. Do not allow any deviation or other versions of that religion to co-exist. Make use of collaborators to proselytize the Exploiters’ version of the Truth. Continuously suppress other religions. Create the specter of danger posed by other religions to the mainstream religion. This is a useful divide-and-rule tactic.

12. Other Mind-control Techniques

Make use of all the mind-control discussed in Part IIIA.

Doesn’t this sound like The Matrix? By now, most readers are ready to give up and say: This is just too difficult. It is easier to remain a Rat For those who are not prepared to accept their fate, let’s move on.

Next: Segment 2 - The Circle
    py

Segment 2 of 2 - The Circle

Mental Model No. 2: The Circle

First start with a simple model. Use the Cashflow Game as a guide. We recommend playing a few rounds of the game. In learning how to create mental models, we need to discard a life-time of mental conditioning and mental habits. It requires change but change is never comfortable…. easier to follow the rut, even though the rut leads us to ruin.

Look at the following images of the Cashflow Board.
    Cashflow 1: Overview showing the Fast Track and the Slow Track (smaller double blue circles).

Cashflow 2 & 3: Top and side view of the Rat Race.

We see many Rats rushing around two blue circles either carrying a hand-phone or a briefcase. There is an inner ring with many stations – Pay check, Opportunity (Big deal/small deal), The Market, Charity, Doodads (expenditure on unnecessary stuff), Downsizing and Baby. At the core is King Rat, the Banker. He controls all the money, the land, the properties, the Opportunities, the Market, the Pay Checks. The little Rats receive their Pay Checks from King Rat, buys and sells everything through King Rat….. It’s too complicated to explain everything here. Just go and play the game and things will become clearer. We just want to use this board to illustrate some of the ideas in our mental model.

The Rat moves on the basis of a dice throw. The maximum no. of steps is 6. So, there is an element of luck involved. For every revolution that the Rat makes, he receives 3 Pay Checks. That means, a complete revolution represents 3 months of work. For the typical Rat, 120 to 160 revolutions will represent a life-time of working before they can retire. Some never stop running. They either don’t know how to stop or they cannot afford to stop!

Here’s a thought: In Part I WE ARE DOING WELL!, we spoke about thinking of our salaries in terms of gold. That provides us with a stable bench mark. Here’s another way of looking at money. Think of buying stuff in terms of months of salary.

Eg. In 1970, a school teacher with a salary of RM 500 could pay off a terrace house in SS 2, Petaling Jaya (Part I WE ARE DOING WELL!) with 78 months of salary. Today, that teacher with a corresponding salary of RM 1200, say, will need 500 months of working to pay for the same house! 500 months is 42 years! (King Rat has a strong interest to inflate property prices. After all, he controls the largest land bank – public land, which by the way is held in trust on behalf of the Rats. We can expand that idea to include timber, minerals, water, oil, etc.). King Rat will point to the salaries and claim: Look, the teacher has increased her salary by 240% in 38 years. She is doing well.

In other words, instead of thinking of our wealth in dollars and cents, think in terms of months or days of working. And King Rat wants to own your time. Doesn’t that sound like slavery?

King Rat’s strategy is to make the Rats run continuously, then to extract money from them through taxes or to reduce the value of their Pay Check through inflation..

He encourages the Rats to buy property on which he can levy property tax and house assessment. Once the poor Rat gets a mortgage to buy the property, he is caught in another trap - the debt-trap.. On top of the debt is compound interest which can result in the debt doubling or tripling. And this is the biggest trap of all and can take a lifetime to get out off, if it ever gets done. Is it a wonder that teachers like Jesus Christ and Prophet Muhammad PBUH condemned usury and money lenders?

The central idea is to get the Rats involved in the dollar economy.

(There is another aspect of the Cashflow Game – The Income Statement. This is intended to teach financial literacy, to help the Rat to think of money in terms of cash flow. A better way would be to think as a corporation instead of an individual. We will need to prepare annual reports to assess our financial progress. That will require another mental model, which we won’t go into here, … maybe at the end of this series when we discuss how to get out of the Rat Race.)

Here is a slight twist to the Cashflow model. The race track (blue ring) is rotating anti-clockwise. That means the Rat has to run more steps to reach the stations than before. The rotation of the ring accelerates with time. That is the effect of inflation. And inflation is how the King Rat gets the Rat do more for less.

(Imagine, if a government were to chop the civil servants salaries by 5% every year, there will be a revolt. But if a government was to reduce the value of the currency by 5% a year and under-report the Consumer Price Index (CPI), the employees would not notice. The Boiling Frog Strategy. On top of that, the government would save money in their pension bill.)

Cash economy
    For the system to work, the Rats must be plugged into the paper money economy and they must trust it. What happens when the money breaks down or people lose trust? We get the 1923 Weimar republic Germany, or
    Hyperinflation.

Next change: USA 2009 USD crash and along with it, the RM. (Watch this closely. This is coming and could be the reason for an early election in Malaysia (8th Mar 200. It is always best to get such inconveniences out of the way first before all hell breaks out. There is already speculation that the USD will be debased to zero and replaced with a new note - the Amero and Amero pictures.)

This, dear readers, is a simplified mental model of the Rat Race – The Circle. Admittedly, it is not perfect. But it does not have to be. Use it as a template and consider your personal situation. See whether it fits?

To summarise:
    1. There is a constant psychological war waged by the Exploiter over our minds using the Boiling Frog Strategy
    2. The Exploiter sits on top of a power structure called the Pyramid
    3. They use the Rat Race System, which we depicted using a Circle as a mental model, to entrap the Rats and extract work out of them.

In the next article, we will be going back in history to explain The Rat Race Part IV – The Pyramid[b].
    py

Re: THE RAT RACE PART IIIA SYSTEM - There is nothing to fear but fear itself

Quote Originally Posted by pywong

Fear: If the above doesn’t work, the Exploiters have another tool – the infliction of fear, the threat of violence and harm on the Rats. Play on their sense of vulnerability.
    Sim Kwang Yang says it eloquently here:

Hornbill Unleashed
    June 11, 2009
    ISA and the panopticon: the anatomy of fear

By Sim Kwang Yang

I was a little taken aback when a close and respected friend complimented me on my courage in my writing.

I was surprised, because much as I searched within myself, I felt no courage in me when taking on the most contentious issues and the most powerful politicians of the land. Then I realise why I don’t feel brave at all. I don’t have to be brave because I feel no fear, as long as I am careful and fair.

That does not mean I am such a fearless hero. I too have my phobias. Being broke is my greatest fear that has pursued me in my entire life. My other fear is dying slowly a long, debilitating, and painful death, while being broke!

Then I realise we are all moulded by our fears, and we do not know much about our fears. So I checked up some quick resources on the Internet. One site – about.comhobia — has this to say:

“Fear is a powerful and primitive human emotion. It alerts us to the presence of danger and was critical in keeping our ancestors alive. Fear can actually be divided into two stages, biochemical and emotional. The biochemical response is universal, while the emotional response is highly individualized.” More…
    py

Re: THE RAT RACE PART IIIB: The BN’s doublespeak in Manik Urai

Segment 1 of 2: The Exploiter's Strategies

See Malaysia-today 25 Feb 2008, or
    usj.com.my 20 Apr 08

For those who wish to explore more, we recommend George Orwell’s classics Animal Farm and 1984 or to watch the movies Soylent Green or The Matrix.

In 1984 the ruling party’s slogans were:

WAR IS PEACE
    FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
    IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

The reverse of the truth was exactly what we saw in Part I (We Are Doing Well).

Some good examples of double-speak:

The BN’s doublespeak in Manik Urai

7 Jul 09 : 8.00PM

By Zedeck Siew
    zedecksiew@thenutgraph.com

IN George Orwell's seminal work of dystopian fiction, Nineteen Eighty-Four, the totalitarian Ingsoc government employs, among its slogans, the phrase "Freedom is Slavery". Orwell, who wrote at length about how "language can corrupt thought", is credited with popularising the concept of "doublespeak": language deliberately constructed to distort its actual meaning.

The Barisan Nasional (BN) campaign in Manik Urai, if its ceramah in Laloh on the evening of 6 July 2009 is any indication, appears ready to embrace such distortion. The Nut Graph....
    py

Re: THE RAT RACE PART IIIA - HOW THE SYSTEM WORKS

(This was published in Malaysia-today on 22 Fed 2008
    and usj.com.my on 13 Apr 200

THE WHY OF THE EXPLOITERS: GREED

As we have alluded to in Part II (The System), the Exploiters are doing it for greed and their objective is to control the resources, including the Rats, of the country. This is an important principle to remember: Understand the objectives and the actions will be clear. .. Then, all the smoke and the mirrors cannot confuse you. As a corollary, the reverse of what the Exploiters say, is usually the truth. That will help us to make sense of Badawi’s claim in Part I (We Are Doing Well). As an exercise, apply this principle to what Mahathir has been telling us for the past 26 years. It can make for some interesting revelations.

THE HOW OF THE RAT: IGNORANCE, APATHY & SLOTH

How did we end up in this mess?
    Divide & Rule: Here’s a secret: The Exploiter treats the Rats as both a resource and as a potential enemy that can turn against them. The best way to prevent that is to keep the Rats busy fighting each other. The greatest fear of the Exploiter is that the Rats wake up and unite.

Greed: Play on the greed of one group of Rat and co-opt them to become collaborators to disadvantage the others.

Envy: Tell one group of Rat that another group is doing better than them and that this group has to be suppressed.

The above was written more than a year back. It's still relevant today. We are now seeing the System operating in real time. Mahathir's protege, Najib is performing to script.

Where is all this racism going?
    Neil Khor, Aug 11, 09

Creating a group fear

Most Malaysians have nothing against one another. Individually human beings can be quite rational. But talk to them when they are in a group and a different voice is heard. By suggesting that the Malays are about to lose political power, anxiety is stimulated.

The next step is to publish a few stories through anonymous blogs. Repeat it often enough and rumours begin to "sound" real. This is because we have been programmed to believe in repeated slogans, especially after 30 years of being bombarded by daily doses of intense advertisements.

The current economic crisis also helps as most people are feeling insecure about their jobs. Put all these different and often unrelated issues together and "group fear" is created.

Legitimacy to "group fear" is added when senior politicians denounce anyone who disagrees as "traitors to the race". At the same time, ministers exhort the people to respect the constitution as though those opposed to them do not and are therefore unpatriotic.

Then say that you will strike at them with the full might of the state and exercise executive powers of arrest and harassment. Finally, blame these "traitors" for "destablising" the country by arguing that if they did not exist, we would not have to do what we are doing in the first place.

Umno and those in-charge of "psychological-warfare" understands how this strategy works because it is as old as the hills. They are adopting it because it always works. Malaysiakini. Subscription required.
    py

Re: THE RAT RACE PART IIIB: MENTAL MODEL NO. 2 – THE CIRCLE

Segment 2 of 2 - The Circle

Mental Model No. 2: The Circle

First start with a simple model. Use the Cashflow Game as a guide. We recommend playing a few rounds of the game. In learning how to create mental models, we need to discard a life-time of mental conditioning and mental habits. It requires change but change is never comfortable…. easier to follow the rut, even though the rut leads us to ruin.

Look at the following images of the Cashflow Board.
    Cashflow 1: Overview showing the Fast Track and the Slow Track (smaller double blue circles).

Cashflow 2 & 3: Top and side view of the Rat Race.
    There are a few key elements of the Rat Race used by the Ruling Class to control the Rats.

1. Power to print paper money and force every one to use it - by Law.
    2. Ownership of public land and creating revenue through land sales.
    3. Taxation on personal income, corporate income and real estate.

Read here how China is exploiting the desire of human beings to own property:
    http://web.stratfor.com/images/write...alEstate-1.pdf

It is applicable throughout the world. The reason the US is in deep financial trouble now is that the manipulation of the real estate bubble has failed due to collapse of the property bubble. It occurred in Japan in the 90's and will happen in China.... soon.
    py

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Visitors found this page by searching for:

cashflow board

cashflow board game

cashflow 101

cashflow game

cashflow

cash flow 101

cashflow game board

rat race

rat race gamerat race game robert setupmental modelboard cashflowcash flow robert kiyosakicashflow board imagerace track top viewcashflow robert kiyosakicash flowrat race fast trackimages cashflow rat race boardcashflow roberta kiyosakiboard cashflow 101cashflow- rat racecash flow gamecashflow boardgamerat race robert kiyosaki
SEO Blog