Thread: Politics: New strain of mad cow disease - Listen! Listen! Listen! by Sharifah Zohra Jabeen Syed Shah Miskin

Politics: New strain of mad cow disease - Listen! Listen! Listen! by Sharifah Zohra Jabeen Syed Shah Miskin

As varsity video goes viral, Umno leaders move to head off storm

Such arrogance is unbelievable!

UPDATED @ 12:13:28 PM 15-01-2013
    January 15, 2013

Screenshot of Sharifah Zohra Jabeen (right) berating Bawani at the forum, and at one point telling the university student to ‘Listen’ a total of 11 times, and even taking away the microphone from Bawani to stop the student from speaking further.

KUALA LUMPUR, Jan 15 — A video of a pro-Barisan Nasional (BN) speaker publicly chewing out a university student at a forum that has gone viral is embarrassing the authorities and has forced both a deputy minister and the Umno Youth chief to engage in damage control to prevent its fallout from impacting the ruling coalition ahead of Election 2013.

The speaker, identified as Sharifah Zohra Jabeen, president of little-known organisation Suara Wanita 1 Malaysia (SW1M) that is seen to be aligned to the ruling BN, was caught on video berating the student — who had stood up to voice her views on the Bersih electoral rally and free education — with remarks such as “when this is our programme, we allow you to speak” and “when I speak, you listen”.

Higher Education Deputy Minister Datuk Saifuddin Abdullah took to Twitter last night and posted his personal mobile phone number with a message urging the student, identified only as Bawani K.S., to contact him after another Twitter user remarked that she had an account on the microblogging site.

A few hours later, he tweeted: “Just spoken to Bawani on d phone. She is in high spirits.”
    Bawani’s feelings on the issue remain closed off. Her Twitter account, @Bawani_ks, was inaccessible as she had locked it to only her followers.

Saifuddin tweeted on the matter, and also later spoke to university student Bawani. — File pic
    However, the matter appeared far from over as other Twitter users plied the deputy minister with questions for his view on the lopsided exchange between the speaker and Bawani.

“Patutny benarkn Bawani habis brcakap,lps tu jawab dgn bijaksana [Should have let Bawani finish speaking, then reply wisely],” the media-savvy Saifuddin answered to the Twitter user, @Mr_Nurislam.

His Umno party mate, Khairy Jamaluddin, also took to Twitter to distance the ruling coalition from Sharifah Zohra Jabeen after the video row sparked outrage from Netizens, some who have started several hashtag discussions on the microblogging site, including #SharifahZohra and #listen.

“And on UUM issue. Please #listen to me: this Jabeen lady DOES NOT represent BN. Sekian,” the Umno Youth chief tweeted several hours ago on his account, @Khairykj.

He added, “Siapa2 pun boleh salah guna 1Msia. Takde siapa dlm BN yg kenal Sharipah Jabeen ni [Anyone can misuse 1Malaysia. Nobody in BN knows this Sharipah Jabeen]” in reply to a Twitter user who pointed out that the speaker had worn a button badge with the 1 Malaysia logo commonly identified with the BN coalition.

Khairy’s attempt at damage control, however, was greeeted with disdain by some Netizens, including one Don Iznan who remarked over Twitter: “By saying #SharifahZohra not representing BN, KJ actually means that sharifah is from Umno.See?Hahaha.”

The forum, titled “Seiringkah mahasiswa dan politik?” (Are graduates and politics aligned?), was held at Universiti Utara Malaysia (UUM) in Kedah on December 8, but the storm erupted after the 20-minute clip was posted on YouTube last week and then spread on Facebook and Twitter as well as several online university fora.

And on UUM issue. Please #listen to me: this Jabeen lady DOES NOT represent BN. Sekian. — Tweet by Umno Youth chief Khairy Jamaluddin

The video starts with the university students swearing an oath in the national language before cutting to the student, Bawani, who took to a microphone in a packed auditorium to speak on a court ruling on Bersih and ask why Malaysia was unable to offer free education like other countries.

The speaker, Sharifah Zohra Jabeen, interrupts her mid-way, telling her to “Listen!” a whopping 11 times and even taking away the microphone from Bawani to stop the student from speaking further.

“Number one, when this is our programme, we allow you to speak,” Sharifah Zohra Jabeen said, and then added, “Number two, when I speak, you listen.”

Sharifah Zohra Jabeen also quelled another student who attempted to speak out, saying insistently, “Let me speak” before asking the rest of the auditorium audience: “Students in the hall, 2,300 students everywhere. Did I give her respect? Did I give her respect? I came up to her, shook hands with her and gave her respect as another woman. Do you think I need to answer her question with this attitude?”

She then labelled Bersih co-chair Datuk Ambiga Sreenevasan an “anarchist”, and criticised the student for highlighting the need for free education in the country, even telling her “if you equate Malaysia to other countries, what are you doing in Malaysia?”

“Go to Cuba, go to Argentina, go to Libya, go everywhere. Because all the students in this hall are happy with whatever the government does for them,” she said, and ticked Bawani off for having “a very least of pendidikan [education]”.

Undergraduates in local universities have in recent years become increasingly more vocal and critical of the government, more so after the Najib administration moved to loosen the law allowing students to participate in politics, in a bid to draw support from the younger generation who are seen to make up a substantial voter demographic group.

Last year, several student groups took part in demonstrations nationwide to demand greater freedom and free university education.

Internet memes of Sharifah Zohra Jabeen have sprouted after the SW1M president publicly berated a university student for voicing her views against the BN government in an open forum last month.
    py

Uncouth panellist once led an Umno-linked party

Although Umno leaders are distancing themselves from Sharifah Zohra Jabeen Syed Shah Miskin, the panellist who berated a Universiti Utara Malaysia (UUM) student during a recent UUM forum, Sharifah Zohra has been active in Umno circles.

A check with the Malaysian Indian Muslim Congress (Kimma) headquarters confirmed Sharifah Zohra (right) to be a former deputy Wanita chief of Kimma. She was predecessor to the current deputy chief, Nafisah Mammoo.

Kimma is an associate party of Umno and claims to represent the interests of the Indian Muslim community. It has been campaigning for the BN in many general elections.

Prime Minister Najib Abdul Razak officially opened Kimma's annual general assembly in October last year, at which he described the party as a "close and loyal friend of BN".

However, Kimma headquarters staff who confirmed Sharifah Zohra's position in the party, did not know the length of her tenure as deputy Wanita chief.

A VIP at government functions

A Google search revealed that she was in the post at the end of 2011 and was also photographed with Malacca Chief Minister Mohd Ali Rustam at a youth programme in Tanjung Bidara, Malacca.

The banner in a photograph names Sharifah Zohra as one of the two VIPs in the programme that also involved the Department of Special Affairs (Jasa), a government agency under the Information Ministry.

A February 2011 posting in Sharifah Zohra's Facebook inviting the people to attend a Kimma programme also states her position as the party's deputy Wanita chief.

These findings contradict with the claim by Umno Youth chief Khairy Jamaluddin Abu Bakar (left) that neither Sharifah Zohra, nor Suara Wanita 1Malaysia (SW1M), the NGO she now heads, are related to the BN.

"And on UUM issue. Please listen to me: this Jabeen lady does not represent BN. Period," Khairy posted on his Twitter page yesterday.

Netizens were quick to point out that she was wearing a 1Malaysia badge but Khairy replied that "anyone can misuse 1Malaysia brand. No one has even heard of her or SW1M".

"It has nothing to do with BN," he repeated.

Sharifah Zohra's uncouth behaviour against UUM second-year law student KS Bawani during the forum also received brickbats from Deputy Higher Education Minister Saifuddin Abdullah.

"(I have) seen the video. I will not treat a student that way.

"Should let the student finish talking. If (she) does not agree, answer wisely, don't have to talk down or condescend (the student)," Saifuddin said on his Twitter page in response to queries directed to him.

Saifuddin (right) then released his mobile number onTwitter and asked Bawani to send him a text message.

"(I have) just spoken to Bawani on the phone. She is in high spirits," he posted on Twitter after calling the student.

Referring to the deputy minister as saudara, Bawani replied on the micro-blogging website, "Thank you saudara. Appreciate your call, very much encouraging. (It would be) good if all ministers are like you! Waiting for teh tarik with you!"

Saifuddin, who is also an Umno supreme council member, denied that his ministry was involved in the forum.

After the 24-minute footage showing Bawani's bold confrontation with Sharifah Zohra was uploaded on YouTube and went viral, Bawani has earned compliments from many Internet users.

The video was, as at this afternoon, been viewed over 224,000 times in the six days it has been up.

Bawani a Jerit activist

Bawani revealed on Twitter that she has received more than 2,000 friend requests on her Facebook and Twitter pages, as well as phone calls and text messages in support of her.

"Good morning rakyat, thank you for all the support. You make me strong and make me feel that I'm not alone in this journey for change. Let's demand for free education," she said on Twitter.

She also called on the people not to make sexual remarks against Sharifah Zohra.

"As a human, I respect her as a woman. Thank you."

Bawani is one of the coordinators of The Oppressed People's Network (Jerit), a grassroots movement linked to Parti Sosialis Malaysia (PSM), and she also took part in the People's Uprising Rally last Saturday.

She proudly announced on Twitter that she is "a student educated by PSM".

View comments (49)
    py

Sharifah Zohra not with us, was hard to control, says KIMMA president

By Md Izwan
    January 15, 2013

KUALA LUMPUR, Jan 15 — Controversial speaker Sharifah Zohra Jabeen, who openly attacked a student at a forum last year, is no longer a member of the Malaysian Indian Muslim Congress (KIMMA), said its president Senator Datuk Syed Ibrahim Kader, who also accused the former National KIMMA Women’s Head of having a “hard to control” behaviour.

Sharifah Zohra Jabeen is president of little-known organisation Suara Wanita 1 Malaysia (SW1M) that is seen to be aligned to the ruling BN, was caught on video berating the student — who had stood up to voice her views on the Bersih electoral rally and free education — with remarks such as “when this is our programme, we allow you to speak” and “when I speak, you listen”.

“Many phone calls to me have asked the same question.

“So, I wish to affirm that she is no longer with KIMMA. Whatever she has done and said now does not involve us or our stand,” said Syed Ibrahim, not specifying whether she was kicked out of the party or had resigned.

Syed Ibrahim confessed to knowing of Sharifah’s vocal and aggressive behaviour when she was in KIMMA and of receiving many negative reports about her.

“Yes, we do know about her (Sharifah’s) wild and aggressive behaviour and it is hard to control her,” he added.

“However, she is no longer in our party.”

The forum, titled “Seiringkah mahasiswa dan politik?” (Are undergraduates and politics aligned?), was held at Universiti Utara Malaysia (UUM) in Kedah on December 8, but the storm erupted after the 20-minute clip was posted on YouTube last week and then spread on Facebook and Twitter as well as several online university forums.

The video starts with the university students swearing an oath in the national language before cutting to the student, Bawani K.S., who took to a microphone in a packed auditorium to speak on a court ruling on Bersih and ask why Malaysia was unable to offer free education like other countries.

The speaker, Sharifah Zohra Jabeen, interrupts her mid-way, telling her to “Listen!” a whopping 11 times and even taking away the microphone from Bawani to stop the student from speaking further.

“Number one, when this is our programme, we allow you to speak,” Sharifah Zohra Jabeen said, and then added, “Number two, when I speak, you listen.”

Sharifah Zohra Jabeen also quelled another student who attempted to speak out, saying insistently, “Let me speak” before asking the rest of the auditorium audience: “Students in the hall, 2,300 students everywhere. Did I give her respect? Did I give her respect? I came up to her, shook hands with her and gave her respect as another woman. Do you think I need to answer her question with this attitude?”

She then labelled Bersih co-chair Datuk Ambiga Sreenevasan an “anarchist”, and criticised the student for highlighting the need for free education in the country, even telling her “if you equate Malaysia to other countries, what are you doing in Malaysia?”

“Go to Cuba, go to Argentina, go to Libya, go everywhere. Because all the students in this hall are happy with whatever the government does for them,” she said, and ticked Bawani off for having “a very least of pendidikan [education]”.

Following the controversial video, deputy higher education minister Datuk Saifuddin Abdullah and his Umno party mate Khairy Jamaluddin have defended the victim of the act, Bawani, on their Twitter accounts, saying that Sharifah Zohra Jabeen was not related to ruling coalition Barisan Nasional in any way.

While Sharifah appears to have gone underground since the video storm started, SW1M has adopted a truculent — some say aggressive — attitude towards the entire episode, with administrators saying Sharifah did not need to apologise, as Bawani clearly “ran away” and “should learn to respect her elders.”

Undergraduates in local universities have in recent years become increasingly more vocal and critical of the government, more so after the Najib administration moved to loosen the law allowing students to participate in politics, in a bid to draw support from the younger generation who are seen to make up a substantial voter demographic.

Last year, several student groups took part in demonstrations nationwide to demand greater freedom and free university education.
    py

‘Listen! listen!’ – Malaysia’s answer to Gangnam-style

Posted by Anil Netto on 15 January 2013 Add comments

http://anilnetto.com/democracy/educa...nwashing-okay/

Step aside, Psy. The Gangnam craze is giving way to Malaysia’s very own “Listen! Listen!” dance remix, which is going viral across the country.

Indeed, creative and outraged Malaysians are turning the tables against the latest attempt at brainwashing and indoctrinating our university students.

Why, netizens have even made “Listen! Listen!” ring tones that can be downloaded!

In case you are wondering what this is all about, the clip below is of the original indoctrination session. It is a classic example of how our students are brainwashed by the system. Notice the bullying and intimidation of the courageous and outspoken student, Bawani, who to her credit remains unfazed:

In this instance, the brainwashing session has been exposed. And what an “insanely idiotic” response from the emcee. Thanks to blog reader Ranen Bhattacharyya for sending in the following link:

Listen, listen, no more brainwashing, okay? Listen, when we the people speak…
    py

‘Listen, listen, listen’ woman in hiding due to blackmail, NGO claims

By Ida Lim
    January 16, 2013
    SW1M did not detail how Sharifah Zohra was being blackmailed or what was being extorted from her.

KUALA LUMPUR, Jan 16 ― Suara Wanita 1 Malaysia (SW1M) claims its president, Sharifah Zohra Jabeen Syed Shah Miskin, has gone underground since being exposed castigating a student on YouTube as she was blackmailed over the now-viral video.Chief administrator of the SW1M Facebook page, Emalee or better known as “Ratu Naga”, made the claim yesterday when contacted by The Malaysian Insider.

“Why I never ask her to reveal herself? Somebody blackmailed her. So I think the best way (is) for her to keep quiet and that I do all the posting and I do all the explanation,” the SW1M supreme council member and advisor said.

Emalee also said she could address the matter as she had been present during the incident at the December 8 forum held at Universiti Utara Malaysia (UUM), which was captured in a 20-minute video clip that recently sparked an online storm.

“I ask her to go somewhere safe because she has children. Someone try to blackmail her, this issue has become quite serious,” she later said.

She confirmed that Sharifah Zohra does not oversee posts on SW1M’s Facebook page, adding that she was not responsible for its content.

According to Emalee, the organisation that aims to fight for the rights of women and children was founded between January and February last year.

She said that SW1M helps women by listening to their problems, including cases of domestic abuse, which the organisation then passes on to the prime minister in the form of memorandums.

She acknowledged that there were some who viewed SW1M as an “NGO for [Barisan Nasional]” but stressed that the organisation is independent and “does not represent any political parties.”

But she agreed that the adoption of the “1 Malaysia” tagline in the organisation’s name may have caused some confusion, before explaining that it was chosen because they “respect” the prime minister.

SW1M had defended Sharifah Zohra over the video showing her berating law student Bawani KS with remarks such as “when this is our programme, we allow you to speak” and “when I speak, you listen”.

The video earlier showed Bawani speaking on the Bersih rally for electoral reform and free education, before forum panellist Sharifah Zohra interrupted and pulled away her microphone.

She then went on to call Bersih co-chair Datuk Ambiga Sreenevasan an “anarchist” and told the university student to go to other countries if she wanted to compare Malaysia to them.

The organisation’s administrators have also said Sharifah Zohra need not apologise to Bawani for her statements.

Two Barisan Nasional (BN) leaders have since come to Bawani’s defence on Twitter, while seeking to distance Sharifah Zohra from the ruling BN coalition.

The Malaysian Indian Muslim Congress (KIMMA)’s president Senator Datuk Syed Ibrahim Kader yesterday also came out to say she is no longer a member of the party, before accusing her of being “hard to control”.

Emalee yesterday said that politics was never mentioned throughout the forum and claimed that Bawani had not spoken during a question-and-answer session but only stood up after the programme ended.

She said that Sharifah Zohra had given Bawani space and time to talk, but had uttered the now-notorious “listen, listen, listen” lines while interrupting the student midway.

She said the forum, which is titled “Seiringkah mahasiswa dan politik?” (Are undergraduates and politics aligned?), was carried out by SW1M with UUM’s co-operation.

Bawani, a 27-year-old social activist, yesterday told The Malaysian Insider that the video showed how state-funded universities use student forums to “brainwash” undergraduates.
    py

SW1M event a brainwashing session, claims Bawani

Published on 14 Jan 2013
    Music & Video by Yuri Wong at The Factory Music Studio
    http://www.fb.com/thefactorymusicstudio
    Download the FULL song: http://www.thefactory.com.my/when-i-speak-listen
    Original Video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_YEKBkUmLw

5:54PM Jan 16, 2013

The Suara Wanita 1Malaysia (SW1M) event, footage of which catapulted her to fame, was an attempt at brainwashing university students, accused University Utara Malaysia (UUM) law student KS Bawani.

“After the programme, I posted on my Facebook page that I was not happy, it was pure brainwash, from beginning till end it was brainwash,” claimed Bawani in a video interview with Perak-based video portal YobTV.

The forum which took place on Dec 8 last year, she said, was the third in a series of SW1M forums, which began in UPSI in October, then in UKM in November and followed by the one in UUM in December.

All the forums share the same topic 'Women and politics', despite being advertised in UUM, at least, as being about students and politics.

Bawani described that the forum used images of Lembah Pantai MP Nurul Izzah Anwar (right) and an image of her statement about freedom of religion, and although no names were mentioned, forum speakers questioned if the MP can be a defender of Islam.

The event, she related, also made mention of Bersih 2.0 co-chairperson, S Ambiga accusing her of being an “anarchist instigator spreading street protest in Malaysia”.

They were also shown clips of several popular and opposition-backed rallies, showing female participants and painting them in a negative light, querying how can women who are supposed to be feminine and pleasant can be involved in such uncouth activities.

There were also footage of last year’s anti-PTPTN rally which were used by organisers to show how students were wrong to participate in rallies and ask for free education.

It was this part of the presentation which, Bawani said, provoked her to raise her question.

'Raised hand was ignored'

Though her raised hand was ignored during the presentation and only two other questions were allowed during the question-and-answer session, despite the huge number of participants being lectured for nearly half a day.

“It seems the agenda is to brainwash. How can the university allow something like this?”

She contended that the forums, the content of which seem to favour one side of Malaysia’s political equation, were an attempt to influence students.

“If it is okay, why not let both sides come. Let the students judge. But this, it is like brainwashing students and underestimating them.”

Bawani also noted that students were under pressure not to question the issues being forced down their throats.

“The students were also afraid to question. Like they are being oppressed.”

The law student also said that the manner in which forum organisers conducted the lucky draw which ended the event seemed like they wanted to bribe students with the electronic gadgets which were announced as prizes.

“Like they want to buy students with (the Galaxy Notes).”

Bawani related how she stood up prior to the lucky draw session which closed the event to voice her opinion and ask a question, the act leading to the “Listen! Listen! Listen!” scene made infamous in the video.

The original video, copies of which went viral online, said Bawani, was uploaded by TvMyMahasiswa, a pro-establishment student portal on its YouTube account.

“I guess they thing the way she dealt with me was good, but it backfired... I did not know the video was going to be popular... But truth will always prevail.”

She said that she was condemned on social networking siteFacebook and at her university for questioning Sharifah and the forum’s contents, but felt vindicated when the larger national audience was on her side.

The video included footage of SW1M president Sharifah Zohra Jabeen Syed Shah Miskin berating Bawani for asking her question.

On the receiving end of brickbats

Sharifah (right) since then has been on the receiving end of brickbats from all quarters including BN leaders like Deputy Higher Education Minister Saifuddin Abdullah and Umno Youth chief Khairy Jamaluddin.

Even her former party Kimma, an associate Umno member party representing Indian Muslims, distanced themselves from her, claiming that she was known to be difficult to control and prone to outbursts.

UUM has also said that it has nothing to do with the event which was fully organised by SW1M.

A talk featuring Sharifah, titled ‘How To Make Your First Million’, was also cancelled recently because of security concerns.

English language daily The Star quoted event organiser Lina Ahmad as saying that police recommend a cancellation after Netizens planned to protest the event scheduled for next week.

“The committee discussed the pros and cons, and decided that it would be best to cancel it.”

py

py

Don’t overdo criticism of SW1M president, says Ambiga

Posted on 17 January 2013 - 05:28amTan Yi Liang

PUTRAJAYA (Jan 17, 2013): Lawyer and activist Datuk Ambiga Sreenevasan has cautioned against going overboard in criticising Suara Wanita 1Malaysia (SW1M) president Sharifah Zohra Jabeen Syed Shah Miskin over the "Listen, listen, listen" video clip.

"I think we shouldn't overdo the criticism. Some of it is downright sexist and unnecessary. Enough has been said and I hope a lesson was learned from this," she said when approached at the Putrajaya Palace of Justice yesterday.

Ambiga was commenting on a 24-minute clip depicting a heated exchange between Sharifah and University Utara Malaysia (UUM) law student K.S. Bawani at a forum last month, in which Sharifah snatched the microphone from Bawani during a question-and-answer session before berating her.

In the video that went viral last week, Sharifah repeatedly told Bawani to listen to her, and also called Ambiga a "pencetus anarki di Malaysia" (catalyst of anarchy in Malaysia).

Responding to that remark, Ambiga said: "She is welcome to say what she wants. That's freedom of speech. What was said was disgraceful and the public outcry is fabulous."

Students attending the UUM forum jeered when Sharifah berated Bawani.

Social media users were quick to slam Sharifah on Twitter and Facebook for her action, with some resorting to sexist and racist remarks.

"I think the students' reaction is a reflection of our system and this is a brainwashing exercise which should be discouraged," said Ambiga.

She also praised Bawani for speaking up at the forum, saying: "She was articulate and had her facts. I'm sure she'll do very well."

py

Visitors found this page by searching for:

sharifah zohra jabeen

sharifah and the cow

ratu naga dan listen listen listenBawani vs sharifah viral confrontation youtubebakar end cow videos downlodingsharifah@spr.gov.mysharifah zohra statement documentpress statement by sharifah zohra jabeen reviewsBawani vs Sharifahresponse to #listen press statement by sharifah zohra jabeensharifah zohra jabeen disgrace - google searchbarisan nasional leaders distance from sw1mlisten listen listen sharifah tweetcomments by bn on sharifah zohras behaviour listen uum mahasiswa bawani sharifah deputy higher education minister saifuddin abdullahbawani jerit activistsharifah zohrasharifah politician listenali rustam sharifah zohrabn response to sharifah zohra jabeensharifah zohra jabeen syed shah miskin profile
SEO Blog