Allow 15 years for Malaysia.

Feb 25, 2009
20 yrs to wipe out graft

Despite the commission's successes, corruption is 'systemic' from the top to the bottom of Indonesian society, KPK head Antasari Azhar (centre) said in an interview with AFP at its Jakarta headquarters, where TV news crews keep a constant vigil at the entrance.

-- PHOTO: AGENCE FRANCE-PRESSE

JAKARTA - HE counts lawmakers and senior officials among his scalps but Indonesia's anti-corruption chief says it could be 20 years before graft entrenched at all levels of government has been cleaned up.

Since its inception in 2003, the independent Corruption Eradication Commission (KPK) has gained a fearsome reputation as one of the few clean institutions in a country ranked among the world's most corrupt.

No one is untouchable

INDONESIA'S anti-corruption chief Antasari Azhar denied anyone is untouchable in Indonesia, saying the dearth of so-called 'big fish' being caught was due to the difficulty of proving corruption cases.

'For example even if I strongly suspect you're corrupt, I just can't arrest you as I please. The KPK doesn't want to abuse its power,' he said,

This reputation has only been boosted by a 100 per cent prosecution rate at the country's corruption court and a new plan to make defendants there wear special uniforms marking them out - before a verdict - as 'KPK prisoners'.

More…