6:45PM Feb 2, 2014 Three-cornered fight for PKR Youth chief post?

The contest for PKR Youth chief continues to heat up as another hopeful has announced his candidacy to take over from outgoing chief Shamsul Iskandar Mohd Akin.

Making the announcement at Dataran Merdeka today, Mohd Nazree Mohd Yunus (left) is the second to declare his candidacy after Batu Caves assemblyperson Amirudin Shari, who threw his hat into the ring last month.

Nazree, who is now PKR Youth vice-chief, said he decided to contest after consulting grassroot members and leaders including outgoing youth chief Shamsul Iskandar Mohd Akin.

Shamsul Iskandar is bowing out as the party congress last year maintained the ruling to limit the age of youth wing members to 35.

Although an official announcement has yet to be made, it is widely speculated that Seri Setia assemblyperson Nik Nazmi Nik Ahmad will also join the race, making it a three-cornered fight.

“I believe this will be a friendly fight which will celebrate democracy. It is not a matter of me facing heavyweights (Amirudin and Nik Nazmi).

“I choose to contest because of two things—my belief and understanding of the struggle,” he said when contacted.

Running in 'a team'

Also present at the announcement were Shamsul Iskandar and his deputy Khairul Anuar Ahmad Zainudin.

Nazree will be the only one of the three from the youth leadership structure.

Amirudin is Selangor PKR secretary while Nik Nazmi (left) was until recently the communications director for the party. Nik Nazmi is also Selangor legislative assembly deputy speaker.

Amirudin's position in Selangor PKR has led observers to view him as a loyalist of PKR deputy president and Selangor chief Azmin Ali, while Nik Nazmi is viewed to be from a different faction.

Unlike Amirudin, Nazree also announced today that he is also running “in a team” which includes a deputy president, three vice-presidents and 18 executive council hopefuls.

His running mate is Sabah PKR youth leader Mohd Serman Hassnar while vice-president hopefuls in the team are Ginie Lim, Sangetha Jeyakumar and Saifullah Zulkifli.

Mohd Serman, Lim and Saifullah contested for PKR in the 13th general election in Machap and Pangkor respectively while Jeyakumar is daughter of ex-Selangor executive councilor Dr Xavier Jeyakumar.

The team is dubbed the 'Nadi Perjuangan Rakyat' (The Pulse of the People's Struggle) with the vision of making the youth wing in line with the people.

Nazree aims to captain the wing towards the implementation of a cadreship programme, focus on welfare and security, expanding the party's youth network to all various levels of society as well as empowering the youth in the economy.

Exact dates have yet to be announced by the party, but nominations are expected in March while the polls, where each member has the right to cast a vote, is to take place in April.