Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PKR Special National Congress: Zaid Ibrahim joins PKR

PKR Special National Congress: Zaid Ibrahim joins PKR

Zaid joins PKR

By Neville Spykerman

KUALA LUMPUR, June 13 — Former Umno minister Datuk Zaid Ibrahim has joined PKR, in a boost to the opposition Pakatan Rakyat (PR) coalition. Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim announced Zaid's decision today at a special PKR congress here, saying it will help improve ties between the three PR parties.

Zaid said he felt he would be most effective in PKR which fits his ideals and chose the party because he knows Anwar is a good man.

“It’s also multinational party with a wide Malay base, a young party with plenty of room to expand.” he said.

He said he was looking forward to playing the role of strengthening the relationship between Pakatan Rakyat’s coalition partners. More…

Zaid steps up to the plate

KUALA LUMPUR, June 13 — This has been a long courtship. Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim and his colleagues in PKR and DAP have been eyeing Datuk Zaid Ibrahim ever since it became obvious that he was a misfit in the Abdullah administration....

Zaid told friends that he was concerned that PR was drifting. He believed that a better Malaysia is only possible with a strong alternative to BN. He briefed Anwar on his idea of helming this think tank and received the latter’s approval.

So to all intent and purposes, Zaid was all set to become a backroom boy. What changed in the last few days? What persuaded Zaid to finally say yes to Anwar?

Perhaps it was the realisation that he would have sounded hypocritical and shallow calling Malaysians to support change and reform from the safe confines of the sidelines. More…

Zaid could pave way for MCA defections to PKR

By Leslie Lau, Consultant Editor

Datuk Zaid Ibrahim explaining his reasons for joining PKR after more than seven months since his exit from Umno. - Picture by Choo Choy May
    KUALA LUMPUR, June 13 — Datuk Zaid Ibrahim’s decision to join PKR is expected to set off a flurry of former MCA officials joining the Pakatan Rakyat (PR) party.

The Malaysian Insider understands a former senator from the Barisan Nasional (BN) party is on the verge of joining.

Also mulling a defection is a former cabinet minister from MCA. More…
    py

Re: PKR Special National Congress: Anwar: PKR is a party for the people

Anwar: PKR is a party for the people and not the elite

Posted by admin
    Saturday, 13 June 2009 16:44

By Wong Choon Mei, Suara Keadilan

In a keynote speech to flag off a special congress called to push through iconic reforms, PKR advisor and Opposition Leader Anwar Ibrahim reminded party members never to forget the country’s struggle for independence from colonial rule.

He urged a crowd of some 2,000 delegates to approve a slew of resolutions aimed at putting the party at the forefront of the political league and helping it to achieve national power together with coalition allies DAP and PAS.

“We must remember to always stay progressive and egalitarian. This will differentiate us from Umno,” the reform icon said.

He pointed to the party’s re-branding exercise, which he said was precisely aimed to ensure that PKR never forgot that it was a party for the people and not the elite.

This would set PKR apart from arch rival Umno, which remained stuck in a feudalistic and colonial mindset, Anwar added. More…

PKR's theme will relate to this historical movie - Sepeluh Tahun sebelum Merdeka. All Malaysians have to watch it to understand how UMNO has been trying to brainwash us and distort history for the past 62 years.
    py

Re: PKR Special National Congress: Constitutional Amendments

PKR votes overwhelmingly for reform

KUALA LUMPUR, June 13 — Parti Keadilan Rakyat (PKR) not only advanced its democratic reform agenda today but also raised the bar for other political parties in Malaysia by introducing term limits for the president, as well as making the party’s highest post one that is directly elected by ordinary members and not just delegates.

The moves, which required a constitutional amendment, was approved by nearly 90 per cent of the approximately one thousand delegates at a special congress today, easily surpassing the two thirds majority required for any amendment.

Other leaders at the central and divisional level would also be directly elected.

At least thirty per cent of decision making committees at all levels must comprise women.

The qualifying age of the Youth wing was also lowered from 40 to 35 in order to encourage the youth members to enter mainstream politics.

In an effort to brand itself as “progressive” and “egalitarian”, and move away from feudalistic connotations, the party has introduced new descriptions for its organisational structure. The supreme council (majlis pimpinan tertinggi) is now replaced with central leadership committee (majlis pimpinan pusat) while “bahagian” or division has been superseded by “cabang”, and “cawangan” or branch will be referred to as “ranting”.

Nine hundred and forty one delegates voted to approve the amendments, while 103 voted against and nine abstained.

According to PKR information chief Latheefa Koya, the one-tenth of delegates who resisted the amendments were primarily Youth wing members who thought they would lose their positions under the lower age ceiling. Not really. There were many who opposed the change of names of the bahagians and cawangan. The opposers maintained that the new names have lowered the status of the divisions and branches to branches and twigs. Another complaint is resistance from the public. More…
    py

Re: PKR Special National Congress: Zaid Ibrahim joins PKR - now takes leave

Zaid takes leave from PKR
    By Neville Spykerman

KUALA LUMPUR, Oct 16 — Datuk Zaid Ibrahim said today he would be taking six months leave from PKR political activities, in a sign of the growing discord in the opposition party over his role.

He told a press conference here today that he would instead concentrate on his work in formulating a common platform for Pakatan Rakyat (PR) parties ahead of the coalition’s convention in December.

“I do not want to be distracted by any internal party politics or be constrained,” he said.

Zaid said he had already sent a letter to the PKR secretary-general to inform the party of his intention.

Matters which had been percolating for weeks boiled over at PKR’s emergency political bureau meeting on Tuesday night, when a decision was made that Zaid should not go to Sabah and Sarawak this weekend as a result of the open revolt by divisions there.

PKR de facto leader Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim believes that Sabah PKR needs new leadership but 17 of 23 divisions in the state do not want any leader sanctioned by Kuala Lumpur foisted on them.

Several PKR leaders here believe that by going to Sabah and Sarawak, Zaid would have been sending the wrong signal and not showing solidarity with party headquarters.

But party insiders say that a schism between Zaid and others in PKR had been inevitable given their different styles in running the political party.

Several PKR officials are troubled by Zaid's gung-ho approach to solving problems and pushing for a common platform with Pakatan Rakyat (PR) partners. TheMalaysiaInsider....
    py

Re: PKR Special National Congress: Zaid Ibrahim Press Statement

Zaid Ibrahim's press statement, 16 October 2009

Posted by admin
    Friday, 16 October 2009 13:58

I joined PKR because of my interest to try and put together a common policy platform for Pakatan Rakyat (PR). This common policy framework for the coalition of the 3 parties, PKR, DAP and PAS respectively, are now in the final stages and I expect to submit the policy framework to the leadership of the respective parties next week.

Zaid Ibrahim

(A) PAKATAN RAKYAT

Effective today, I will be taking 6 months leave from Parti Keadilan Rakyat (PKR). This means that I will not be attending the political bureau meetings of the party. A letter to that effect has been submitted to the Secretary-General of the party.

I joined PKR because of my interest to try and put together a common policy platform for Pakatan Rakyat (PR). This common policy framework for the coalition of the 3 parties, PKR, DAP and PAS respectively, are now in the final stages and I expect to submit the policy framework to the leadership of the respective parties next week.

That being said, a lot more work has to be done in understanding the concerns of the members and the rakyat. A lot more work still needs to be done to provide a cohesive foundation for the coalition and this involves meeting various leaders and members of the respective parties. With the Pakatan Rakyat Convention due to take place in December 2009, I need time to finalise the policy framework which hopefully will be approved by the leadership of the respective parties.

Lately, there have been reports of the political frictions of the PKR leadership with regards to Sabah and Sarawak and that I was in some way involved. I wish to reiterate that I am not at all involved in the leadership issue of PKR Sabah and Sarawak. I have been invited to attend Hari Raya functions and gatherings by PKR leaders to meet the members, which I have accepted. Similarly, I have also been invited to meet some leaders of Sarawak in Kuching. I see no sinister motive in these invitations.

I have no interest in the internal politics of PKR, nor of any of the other parties in Pakatan Rakyat. Neither do I aspire to assume a leadership role in PKR. I made this very clear to Dato Seri Anwar Ibrahim when I joined the party. I only want to be a facilitator to bring about the realization of a strong, credible and united opposition — an opposition with a strong leadership, sound common policies and structures to be a meaningful alternative to Barsian Nasional (BN). Only a strong united opposition can restore democracy in this country and can provide good policies to the people.

We must move beyond the BN bashing and sloganeering stage. Only clearly defined policies and a united leadership of Pakatan Rakayat can convince Malaysians that we are a suitable choice for the rakyat. I hope that from my meetings, dialogues and discussions with the members of the 3 parties at all levels, the dream of a united opposition can be realized.

(B) Prime Minister’s Statement

I also refer to the statement by the Prime Minister on 13th October 2009 about my involvement in money politics when I was in UMNO.

When I was made a Minister, one of the first things I did was to ask the then- Anti-Corruption Agency (ACA), to investigate the findings of money politics against me by the UMNO Disciplinary Tribunal. I believe I was framed by UMNO and found the findings of the Tribunal flawed, where basic rules of evidence were ignored. I felt that a Minister should be free of such misconduct, especially when the Government had committed itself to rid of corruption in the country. I believe my request was acted upon by the ACA and they commenced investigations. I have not heard of the findings till today.

The Prime Minister should not take jibes at me when it suits him. He should be more interested in the truth. I therefore wish to appeal to him, to instruct the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) to complete its investigation and the findings disclosed to the public. I am prepared to face the charges if there is evidence of corrupt practice. But if I am innocent, then the Prime Minister should hold his peace and refrain from making such statements in the future. Malaysiatoday....
    py

Re: PKR Special National Congress: Zaid's 'leave' stirs debate in Sabah

Zaid's 'leave' stirs debate in Sabah

Joe Fernandez, Oct 17, 09

Malaysiakini has learnt that Zaid was to be dispatched to Sabah this weekend on a trouble-shooting mission under the guise of attending a hastily-arranged Aidil Fitri function. Azmin, according to sources, objected and claimed that Zaid could not be an honest broker.

Zaid not meddling

Sabah PKR deputy chief Kong Hong Ming has taken pains to stress that “there's no crisis in the state chapter”.

Meanwhile, PKR vice-president Jeffrey Kitingan, who like Zaid is currently on leave but for three months, sees the former minister's sabbatical as a time for the party to reflect on where it stands vis-à-vis the Malaysia Agreement.

PKR Tuaran division chief Ansari Abdullah also sought to lay to rest fears that Zaid is meddling in Sabah and Sarawak where the party's chapters are helmed by Peninsular Malaysians.

“Zaid needs to really take time during the next six months to understand the people in Sabah and Sarawak,” said Ansari. “This must not be seen as him interfering in the two states because so far he has not done any such thing.”

Ansari was perplexed by Zaid's statement yesterday that he has been accused of meddling too much in Sabah and Sarawak.

“This, I can tell you, he would never do,” said Ansari. “Zaid remains the same person he was when he was Kota Bharu MP. He's a man with an independent mind. He has always been consistent in his views and his politics.”

Ansari reiterated his take that “no one in Peninsular Malaysia can even begin to imagine that the politics and people of Sabah could be so different from the mainland. Sarawak too although they are less vociferous than us”.

“Zaid should take note of this great difference - vis-à-vis Peninsular Malaysia - and incorporate it in his proposed Common Policy Framework (CPF) for Pakatan Rakyat,” said Ansari.

He sees great promise for Pakatan in Sabah and reckons that despite occasional hiccups, the opposition alliance can easily sweep 40 state seats and 15 parliamentary seats in the state at the next general election. Sabah has 60 state seats and 25 parliamentary seats.

One peculiarity about Sabah that Zaid must understand, pointed out Ansari, is that people seldom use established channels to voice their grievances.

“Even ministers and MPs tend to keep quiet when they have a chance to speak up,” noted Ansari. “However, they are willing to let fly outside the established channels of communication.”

No secrets in Sabah

Kong, in his brief comments for publication although he spoke at considerable length to Malaysiakini, noted that internal party matters in PKR tend to get splashed in the media unlike in other parties.

“Most of what has been reported on PKR in the media also happens in other political parties,” said Kong without specifically touching on Zaid's leave. “The difference is that they don't bring in the media. They settle their differences quietly without anyone being in the know.”

PKR members, reiterated Kong, prefer to bring in the media and the people when airing their grievances.

“This is not necessarily a bad thing,” said Kong, who does not see himself as taking over from Azmin Ali as the next Sabah state chief.

“In fact, all healthy democracies practice this and Sabah, which prides itself on being the most democratic state in Malaysia, is no exception. There are no secrets in Sabah.”

Kitingan wants to proceed beyond the generalities sketched by Ansari and will get Zaid to propose that Sabah, Sarawak and Peninsular Malaysia be equal partners under the CPF in Pakatan.

“This will prove to the people in Sabah and Sarawak that Pakatan is really different from BN and a more acceptable and viable alternative,” said Kitingan. “We should not take the people for granted.”

Basically, according to Kitingan, PKR, DAP and PAS in Sabah and Sarawak should all incorporate locally followed by the local incorporation of Pakatan as the umbrella group in both states.

The recent Batang Ai by-election proved conclusively, according to Kitingan, that the people in Sarawak are against the idea of a national party in the state.

This stems from the thinking, as in Sabah, that they are not just another state in Malaysia and that the question of political autonomy needs to be addressed to the satisfaction of the voters.

“Pakatan should not tread the same path taken by BN,” said Kitingan. “We need to tell the people clearly that Sabah and Sarawak matter in Pakatan's reform agenda.”

'Instigation' by Kitingan

Senior PKR activist Richard Jayasuriya, also the president of the deregistered Parti Pasok (Native), has a different take on Zaid's leave.

He thinks that Kitingan put him up to it since the PKR vice-president is also on leave “for reasons best known to himself”. “This is all Jeff's work,” said Jayasuriya. “He set out to humiliate Azmin by inviting Zaid to preside at two state PKR functions.”

Jayasuriya described the first state function as the launching of the book, 'Lest We Forget', by anti-illegal immigration activist Dr Chong Eng Leong in Kota Kinabalu in late August.

“Now, he has done it again by inviting Zaid to preside at the party's Aidil Fitri open house at the Tanjung Aru Plaza today in Kota Kinabalu,” complained Jayasuriya. “Both these functions should have been presided over by Azmin.”

Jayasuriya thinks that Zaid decided to go on leave for six months at Kitingan's instigation “after Anwar told him not to go to Sabah and Sarawak”. Malaysiakini. Subscription required.
    py

Re: PKR Special National Congress: Zaid - I will go to Sabah despite directive

This is what we call "sticking to principles", a rare commodity among politicians today.

Zaid: I will go to Sabah despite directive

Posted by admin
    Saturday, 17 October 2009 03:00

(The Star) - Former Cabinet minister Datuk Zaid Ibrahim has said that he will be going to Sabah to attend a Hari Raya Aidilfitri event to meet PKR members.

He has also said that he had been told by Pakatan Rakyat leader Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim not to go but stopped short of saying why.

“I have already been invited. How can I not go?” he told reporters during a launch of his book, I, Too, Am Malay last night. Malaysiatoday....
    py

Re: PKR Special National Congress: Zaid Ibrahim - Sabah PKR splits over 'outside

Sabah PKR splits over 'outsider'

Posted by admin
    Sunday, 18 October 2009 15:55

(Malaysian Mirror) - There is growing discontent among PKR members over the appointment of an ‘outsider’ to head the party in Sabah and this has led to a split in the leadership.

On one side, vice-president Dr Jeffrey Kitingan (pic, right) is claiming that 18 leaders of the party’s 23 active divisions are against Azmin Ali (pic, left), a fellow veep, being appointed the state liaison chief.

Refuting this claim, however, PKR deputy state chief Dr Hamzah Amir said the matter is a ‘non-issue’ as 15 division chiefs who had purportedly signed a memorandum against Azmin had since disassociated themselves from it.

There had been reports that more than half of the 25 PKR division leaders in Sabah had wanted Azmin replaced with a local state leader. Among the names suggested were Dr Jeffrey and Dr Hamzah. Another name mentioned was as state party chief. Malaysiatoday....
    py

Re: PKR Special National Congress: Zaid outlines Pakatan blueprint for change

Zaid outlines Pakatan blueprint for change

Joe Fernandez Oct 18, 09

Special privileges will be confined, as the founding fathers envisaged, to the four sectors i.e. representation in the civil service, intake into institutions of higher learning, government scholarships and opportunities from the government to do business, "and not extended to every sector of society as Umno has done".

Pakatan Rakyat's much-awaited Common Policy Framework (CPF) will be driven by the opposition alliance's long-touted agenda for change and reform.

The agenda promises to restore the doctrine of separation of powers, checks-and-balances, public accountability, transparency and weed out abuse of power and exercises in absolute power.

These were the salient points stressed by senior PKR leader Zaid Ibrahim in an exclusive two-hour interview with Malaysiakini late last night in Tanjung Aru, Kota Kinabalu.

"The CPF, once adopted, will become the manifesto of Pakatan," said Zaid who has since taken six months sabbatical leave from his party, but not from PR.

"This is a historical draft CPF which will be finalised next week. It will be central to the political struggle of Pakatan and the reason why I left Umno and joined up.

"I am a Pakatan man and not so much with PKR although I had to join a component party to be in the opposition alliance."

Zaid, a former Umno law minister who broke ranks with his party on law and other reform issues and corruption, confirmed that the draft CPF will be deliberated upon by Pakatan leaders and members at a meet scheduled in December in Kuala Lumpur.

The CPF will draw much of its input from Sabah and Sarawak and the separate manifestos of Pakatan component parties. Membership in Pakatan has so far been confined to PKR, DAP and Pas, the Islamic party, but may include new entrants as the coalition "continues reaching out to all sectors of society".

Asked how the CFP varies from calls within Umno and Barisan Nasional to embrace the idea of change and reform, Zaid responded that "the leopard can't be expected to change its spots".

"Of course, Umno for example has introduced some change in their internal party processes but what about the mind-set of the leaders?
    " he asked rhetorically.

"We see no change whatsoever. It's all cosmetics. The more things seem to change, the more they remain the same. They (Umno) will never change."

Relooking at 1963 agreement

Briefly, the CPF calls for a re-look at the 1963 Malaysia Agreement, the repeal of harsh laws besides outdated ones, a national consensus on the issue of statelessness including refugees and illegal immigration issues, decentralisation and downsizing of government, the depolitisation of government institutions and education, removing economic monopolies and generally rolling back government interference in the economy.

However, a Pakatan federal government is expected to play a greater role in arresting the decline of the rural economy especially the smallholders sector as the estate sector creates a landless peasantry and drives others to the shanty towns in urban areas.

Likewise, a Pakatan federal government will actively promote the SMEs, small and medium enterprises.

Existing affirmative action policies - "to be extended to all poor" -- including the special privileges will stay but will go hand in hand with a meritocracy which will be transparent in its details. Malaysiakini. Subscription required.
    py

Re: PKR Special National Congress: Zaid Ibrahim joins PKR -No discord with Azmin

Clarifications on alleged discord in Parti Keadilan Rakyat, Sabah, Azmin Ali and Zaid Ibrahim

Latheefa Koya, Information Chief of PKR
    Posted by admin
    Monday, 19 October 2009 15:58

In light of the exaggerated, slanted and half truth reporting in both the mainstream and new media on alleged serious discord in PKR on Sabah, Azmin Ali and Zaid Ibrahim arising from last Tuesday’s political bureau meeting, PKR wishes to clarify on some of the issues raised although these meetings are usually confidential. Malaysiatoday....
    py

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Visitors found this page by searching for:

dr chong eng leong joins pkr in 2009

SEO Blog